Private Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Dec 25, 2008.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, nothing wrong with saying that. I actually go to two studios regularly, and a bunch more less often (chain and not). Ons is one of most competitive studios in area, other one is, well, mine. :) I haven't yet found one that I like more than mine. So I'm contuining to work on improving my studio. Actually had a long conversation with two of pros from my studio about increasing competition around our studio.
  2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

well thats a constructive way of achieving your ends - change the studio. Thats what i love about the US - you will find this odd but in many places few people think of changing the environment if they don't like it. The only option is to move to a new one. Indeed, its one of the unheralded greatnesses of the US...
  3. DL

DL Well-Known Member

Shaw (who was Irish) once said something like:

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Lessons are 45 minutes each. Scheduling isn't an issue with standing appointments.
  5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Of course, he could be trying to make changes that will make the studio less inviting to others. In which case, it wouldn't be constructive, be destructive.
  6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Any person can only put forward what they think is a good idea, whether its used depends on many factors including, hopefully, the needs of others. If the studio is well run its management will incorporate new ideas if they see them as being generally positive for the studios future.
  7. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

It would be nice if more studios at least were open to the ideas and toss them around. So to speak.

You never know when something is a great idea or a flop unless one is willing to at least first acknowledge it and maybe then incorporate it.

If it brings the desired results you stick with it, if it brings the opposite then you nix it.

But it never hurts to try new things. Sometimes status quo gets a bit outdated or boring.

Those who are completely unwilling to change will over time see the detrimental effects that has. No matter how successful it may appear.

Especially if the "caliber" (I use this word loosely) of people, while on the surface appear what it is you want, is in actuality quite the opposite.
  8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Amen to that. At my former (hence "former") studio, they absolutely were not listening to what we wanted and needed from our lessons, particularly group. Put up with that for far too long, and then finally.... SEE YA. The formerly warm fuzzies turned to bitterness at their unwillingness to fulfill the needs of the loyal dancers as they (attempted to) grow and learn. That's just plain bad business. I'm not talking just one or two people complaining. There was a large group of us with the same issues, and I'm sure we would have continued to sink large sums of money into that place had they cared enough to entertain our ideas.
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sometimes studios don't do that b/c they themselves don't have the skill but can't admit it
  10. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

maybe studios need suggestion boxes?
  11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly. And sometimes it isn't that they can't just admit it, but they don't see it at all.
  12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Heck, I even went so far as to suggest something like that -- ask the students for their input about classes. I said you can then ignore it if you want, but at least the students will get the false feeling that the studio owner is listening to them.

Pfffft.

But like Elise said, if a studio/instructor isn't fulfilling your needs, move on.
  13. fascination

good point...that too
  14. fascination

I hate suggestion boxes..at least ones that allow anonymity...IMO they are the tool of people who can't own their own views...which often means they become weapons...
  15. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yes, but you can always place a trash can right next to the box...:rolleyes: even if you only get one good suggestion in 100, its still a good suggestoin.

Another way to do it is to have a studio 'general meeting'. This is common in some organizations - and studios (or rather dance places) that are cooperatives routinely do it as part of mangement. Of course people have to come to it - so it needs some purpose - but it could be tied to an important social event such as before an annual party.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's not a trash can, it's a circular file.
  17. fascination

agree..if suggestions are actually what go in there...
  18. iwoo

iwoo New Member

Our lessons are 60 mins, non stop if we want to, good value im my opinion.
  19. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

Far truer I believe than one cares to admit. It is a shame too.
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thats how I like it best - or 90 minutes even better...

Its only really good value if the price is less per minute than a 45 minute one AND the instructor is better...