Private Lesson Length

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Yanou, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

so in England, still a custom lessons to be 60 minutes? wow, nice to know, in America, at least in NY, harder to find teachers still teach 60 mins.

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Probably not good for a suggestion box allow anonymity, this could become abusive...

3. Josh

Josh Active Member

If a suggestion box did not allow for anonymity, some who would otherwise give negative but constructive feedback might feel a fear or backlash and simply not leave feedback at all.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

perhaps...just seems to me that negative feedback given with a good intent should be recieved well...and if it isn't one has a far worse problem at their studio than whatever it was they were writing about

5. Josh

Josh Active Member

exactly, good point.

6. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yes indeed - the trouble is that few are confident enough to give it openly... and maybe they include the ones you need to hear from most?

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

50-55 minutes here, plus a few minutes to wrap up, and a few minutes for the instructor to take a break. Lots of people here are on constrained schedules and they need for their lessons to start on time, so we try not to make the instructors late.

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yes, I always wondered why they needed 15 minutes....

9. dancepro

dancepro New Member

When I first took lessons in England they where all teaching 60 minutes lessons. Then in 1990 or 1991 Richard & Janet Gleave and Michael & Vicky Barr changed the lesson time to 45 minutes. Bill & Bobbie Irvine started doing 50 minutes lessons. Soon there after most teachers started teaching 45 minutes lessons.
    I, myself did 60 minutes until 4 years ago. It did take me a little time to get used to the shorter time. Now I am used to it and actually like it. I find the student stay focused all through the lesson now. Most of my lessons are booked on a six month schedule so I don't take time out to book lessons. If changed are needed they are normally done with a phone call or by e-mails so time is not taken away from the lessons.
    I still teach 60 minute lessons when I teach in corporations (businesses). They don't work on the 45 minute basis, they prefer to work on an hourly basis. Again all booking and discussions on the next lessons are done on the phone or with e-mails.
    I can understand that some feel that it is too short with 45 minutes and some feel it is just right. There has been studies done that most people (adults and children alike) can stay focused for about 20 minutes at a time, then they need a short break or change of subject. They can then refocus for another 20 minutes, the reason for the 45 minutes lesson time. Many schools in northern Europe are teaching 45 minutes lessons because of these studies. I actually talked to Richard & Janet about these studies in the late 80's.
    My main teacher (my dad) was very, very intense and sometime we would have enough after only 30 minutes. We would then sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and talk for the rest of the lesson. I used to love those lessons. They always changed my prospective on dancing and/or life in a very, very dramatic way.

Dancepro

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thanks for that fantastic account DP (as always fascinating). I never thought of myself as having a long attention span (actually I am hyperactive) but my career does require me to stay focuses for 60 minute periods (the length of a typical science presentation/lecture) so maybe thats why I prefer the longer session. I also like the 90 minute one - but clearly I could not do one thing for the entire time. We generally work on 3-4 points and I think the change 'is as good as a rest'.

11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I'm lucky if I can concentrate on something for 15 minutes at work. HAVE to be multitasking or I have no chance.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thats pretty funny - obvioulsy we could not do each other's jobs!

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Definitely not. can discuss research work but couldn't do it myself. it's worse with new buddy teacher becvause of how MUCH technique she jams into every lesson. Planning on taking notes throughout lesson now. Last lesson worked on three dances, mostly forgot what she said about first because of how much we went over in next two. Still don't have a chance of applying it all, but hate to forget what she said completely. :)

And of course, while I'm posting here, also watching season 3 of Bones. ;)

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ooo, very nice. Hard to get standard pictures where you don't just get woman's back, they got some good shots there.

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Actually for female pro-am its hard to get them with the pro's face (remember we are paying for it ;)

Oh, and thanks - I had to admit it but the dress looks way better in phtographs than in real life

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, now that competition is over, that's exactly what you want from a dress. :)

And yeah, guess that would be right. Most of us here only do smooth, so most standard I see is professional. blech, and don't remind me whatall we pay. :)

18. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

The pics are quite beautiful!

19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

thanks EM - I've been waiting for ever for them - I love the back-shot of Chris one, wish I could get the digital file...

20. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

So what ARE the prices per se? Like how expensive?