Private lessons for salsa?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by pygmalion, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I agree about the snow and the slush. That's the thing I detest about winter: slush and grit/gritty slush!! Grrr!!!

2. salsachinita, I hope you get the chance to take some private lessons. Right now I feel that I've reached a plateau as well, but, blasphemous though it may sound, other things take priority over salsa at the moment.

3. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Not knitting :shock: !! I am a patchwork quilt teacher 8) !

Thanks for the wishes anyway :wink: !

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

We are lucky right now coz it's nice & hot......we get to go hang out on the beach & dance salsa outdoors 8) !

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

You just had to go rubbing that in again, didn't you? :x :wink:

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Shows how much I know/remember. :oops: I knew it was something with threads/material. Now I'll never forget!! :)

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Warning: I'm going even further off on a tangent, since I cannot remember what the topic of this thread is.

salsachinita, my Mom is a patchwork quilter, too. She rarely does the actual quilting anymore, but she makes some astounding patchwork patterns. She keeps trying to recruit me for the log cabin variations club. She says log cabins are easy and can be made in a bunch of varieties. Maybe one day, I'll do that. It's a family tradition.

Oh! I went back through the thread. It's about private classes. I guess my take on it, this far into the thread, is that private classes are aplus, but for salsa, make sure to also get out into the clubs and dance.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Re: Philadelphia

Ah yes! The lovely Delaware Valley. Oh, I miss Philly sometimes. Not just the food, but the seasons and the pace of life and the culture. Just not the freezing rain, the slush, or the occasional black ice. That I can do without. *shudder* I think I like autumn in Philly the best. :D

9. SalsaTanfolyam

SalsaTanfolyam New Member

thats very effective

10. Jag75

Jag75 Member

It drives me *nuts* when people say that salsa is a "natural" dance that you can pick up just from going to a club. It's utter BS - salsa, like *any* partner dance, has a structure and requires learning. When I dance with self-professed self-taught dancers the experience is never good, and they step all over the place, don't anchor onto any break step (ie 1 or 2 or 3 etc), dance too fast or too slow, I could go on.

Yes, take group classes first to get the basics, dance for a while, then take once a month privates. You will learn well when sticking to that formula. Oh and most importantly, find a knowledgable instructor. The most popular ones are not necessarily the best, and learning dancers don't know what they don't know.

tangotime likes this.