Pro-am Comps and entries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by artofdance, Apr 9, 2013.

1. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Hello all,

I was just wondering what your experience was as teachers and/or pro-am students at dance studios with respect to competition entries for pro-am. has the recessions affected how many comps you do per year, how many entries, etc...
    I am asking because a friend of mine who is a dance teacher and does pro-am might be moving to the states. thank you in advance. :)

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Speaking as a pro-am student - while I've cancelled a planned showcase, I have not yet adjusted my planned comp schedule for the year. That said, the local economic/job situation is such that I just warned my instructor this last weekend that there was a nontrivial chance that I would wind up having to change my plans.

3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I have more issues with just not having time off for competitions. Lessons I try to be religious about.

4. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

That might depend on where in the States... I know locally I have more time off issues than financial issues, but the studio is growing and the teachers are doing more and more competitions every year.

5. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Supershag has grown about 40% in both lessons and comp entries since 2009.

Cheers Chris

6. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

The real problem is getting visas to come and work here.

Chris

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

In general, I select the comps I do more carefully....

What I have observed tho, is that certain comps seem to be getting more and more entries..., the big ones are doing very well and all of the comps seem to report more entries.

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

The anecdotal evidence I have seen with my dance contacts are that people have cut back on lessons and competitions. They have not stopped, but they are definitely exercising more restraint when it comes to spending on expensive coaching, doing many comps and traveling, and the number of lessons.

I have also cut back on lessons, coachings and comps. And I do not see myself increasing in the near future with the continued quantitative easing policy by the Fed and the mountain of debt the local, state and federal governments are building and must face.

TinyDancer109 likes this.
  9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF ArtofDance. It's a great question that you posted, and there are several threads (use the search bar) that question, costs, economics affecting a persons dancing, budgeting for dancing, cost of lessons, etc etc. I suggest that you also try typing in some keywords and cruise through some older posted threads as well as in addition to the responses you get in your thread here.
    With me dancing pro/am, my pro came from Russia and worked his....backside off...first trying to obtain extensions on his visa, then green card submission several times. It was a horrible process that he ultimately succeeded with.
    Available time to do a comp, or showcase is always an issue, I don't miss my lessons and depending on what is in the near future for myself and family, determines how much $$ I'm going to invest in the different lessons, coaching, comps. Admittedly, during the meltdown of the economny - I scaled way back on everything, but my pro at the same time - had many new students and an increase in lessons, while a decease in pro/am competition participation. It goes in waves.

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I reread the original question... seems that your friend is trying to figure out if he/she can have a good career as a pro dancing pro am in the US? I think that would depend on multiple factors..how good a pro are they... i.e. well known, titled, good teacher, all 4 styles, etc..., what part of the country they plan on moving to... some cities have students looking for good pros, some cities have pros looking for students, and realistically, how much your friend plans on charging for lessons, competing etc. Popular cities tend to "fill up" with pros rather quickly, but sometimes the smaller cities may have more students actively looking for good pros to take lessons with.

artofdance likes this.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

some people have cut back...some areas are struggling more than others, but I think that more people, overall, are dancing...so, as others say, it depends on the supply/demand ratio and the economy of the local area

12. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Thank you very much to everyone who posted. To answer to some of the questions, he teaches all 4 styles, has extensive training from England and used to compete Pro but is wondering if a career in the States in teaching dance would be fulfilling as well as in what part of the country are students looking for good quality dance teachers.

13. fascination

I think students everywhere are looking for quality dance instruction...the question really is more about whether the number of students to number of teachers is favorable to someone new entering that market...then, if the demand is greater than the supply... how well that teacher is able to market themselves once they get there....many other questions as well...like what level of students this teacher would find fulfilling to teach, etc

Loki and artofdance like this.
  14. fascination

it's difficult to assess...here in the midwest, I'd say there's room for some high level talent possibly more room and demand than in areas where there is a greater concentration of talented instruction and affluent consumers...but I'd also say that there is a less organized dance scene and it might be more problematic to find a good network to plug into in terms of building a clientele...seems like you'd want to first explore areas where you have contacts and then make subsequent decisions from there...I know some of our pros can speak to this...far better than I

danceronice likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

chris will hire her!!:eek:

16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

He (the pro in question appears to be male) should be so lucky. (Not a joke.)

In the Midwest, we have more students than teachers, but the question is what the students are willing to pay. Might be lower than people used to "coast" prices. OTOH, cost of doing business is a lot lower out here than in Boston, NYC, LA, etc.

17. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Great information, thank you everyone and the teacher is indeed a male :) I also know male teachers are more sought out than female teachers due to the fact that the female to male dance students is greater.

18. Mr 4 styles

love that!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

19. artofdance

artofdance New Member

"ratio" is missing lol

20. Mr 4 styles

I knew what you meant