Pro-am Comps and entries

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by artofdance, Apr 9, 2013.

1. artofdance

artofdance New Member

:p I need a cup of coffee....going to starbucks
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

are you in London?? coz its afternoon here LOL
  3. artofdance

artofdance New Member

No, I'm in Toronto
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

COOL ill be there in august for a meeting where can I go dance??

and YESSSSSSSS I know international LOL​
  5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am charging the same price for my time here in the midwest as I charged in Boston. Not a single student has even questioned it. I find the teachers here to be undercutting themselves actually. They all seem afraid to drop to 45 minute lessons (from 50 with 10 minutes of dead unpaid time) or raise their price to the national average. But I am making just as much, if not even more than I made in the east.

And no, I don't find the price of doing business lower here. Food costs the same, gas costs the same, clothing is the same, I put more miles on my car here, office supplies at Staples are the same. So I don't buy the argument AT ALL that it is cheaper to live or do business here.... especially considering that people here make less. SO they actually spend MORE of their income on actual living expenses. The ONLY thing that is lower here is my house, which is almost 4 times larger than my Boston apartment for half the price. Yet if I have to drive 2.5 hours to get to the airport...instead of 20 minutes, So in the end I think it is a wash.
    artofdance likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Are the other local teachers national finalists?
  7. Mr 4 styles

and cute??:eek:

btw i must say one of the highlights of nationals was...

Larindas shoes!!! only toni tedpath rivals her in her impeccable appearance:cool:
    Larinda McRaven and 3wishes like this.
  8. Larinda McRaven

I seriously doubt the students in the midwest even know who I am except "someone who moved here from the east coast, she's kinda advanced" as someone described me recently. Titles don't mean much when people are barely aware of them.
    3wishes, Gorme and fascination like this.
  9. Larinda McRaven

People can theorize all they want how the industry has been affected by the recession. But until someone does a full blown study on it, all we are doing is providing anecdotal observations, which are highly personal, emotional, and unreliable. I myself have seen no decrease in lessons and I have 5 guys calling me to do pro-am right now. Yet I "feel" at one large major competition there were less people in the ballroom.

So take that however you want.
    artofdance likes this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

could be 6 soon....:eek:

Kidding ... i wish but ive have to move back to the east coast neva happen
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

seems to me that just as many major comps have been larger as have been smaller...personally, I have noidea what to make of it...so I won't :)....that is why I think a person just needs to consult who they know, land somewhere, see how it goes, offer a good product and, if that isn't enough, do some good research.
    artofdance likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

im sure its regional

here two studio owners have told me that the recession has finally hit them less new clients and less lessons by some who are saving the money instead due to fiscal uncertainties

with the top pros like Larinda there is a selsction bias... only the mighty will spend the time and effort with these great pros so my competition pros are actually thriving
  13. Loki

Loki Active Member

Yes. Two. And they're charging the prevailing rate.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Yes, I assume you mean Perry and Dianne, in KC. Rhythm Finalists.
  15. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Perry still teaches in KC, but they have divorced and Dianne is no longer living in the KC area.
  16. artofdance

artofdance New Member

I will send you a PM don't think I should advertise on here. :)
  17. artofdance

artofdance New Member

How do you send a PM on here anyone?
  18. Larinda McRaven

You can post information, simply not a hyperlink.
  19. bia

bia Active Member

PMs seem to be called "Conversations" these days. On the top right, next to your username, there should be a button labeled "Inbox," which gives you an option to "Start a New Conversation."
  20. Larinda McRaven

Actually I just got done judging with Perry this weekend. The rate he charges is below the national average of a regular teacher, far below other US Open Finalists and champions of his status. And he is still booking lessons on the hour.

So still, I think teachers, especially around MO and KS are undercutting themselves. This is the last pool of teachers that haven't changed their rates in probably 10 years.