Pro Am where Am is the male

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 123N, Oct 25, 2005.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to be an expert to have an opinion about what you do or don't like.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Amen!

3. Dancefever

Dancefever New Member

I just don't see why is it OK to pick apart young people who have worked so hard and have yet to reach their prime. You have a right to yell "Fire" in a crowded Movie House or even to yell "Movie" in a crowded Firehouse. You have a right to your opinion, but Ballroom dancing is not "Football", it has a more refined history and respect should be displayed among all competitors.

I guess disguising and sandwiching negative comments between positive comments and simply stating an opinion makes it OK. If you have an opinion of others and it makes you feel better to publicly state it, go ahead. If others call you on it, you can stand by your rights, but it still doesn't show respect.

Someday when you are sitting in a dance hall looking at the old crowd and wondering why young people are not dancing, you might remember that these catty little comments get out and turn people off to dancing.

We are lucky that we cannot understand the dancers speaking in Russian so we don't know how bad they think Americans dance. People like David and Ashlynn are the future of Dancesport, they deserve respect, just as much as you deserve your right to have an opinion. But maybe you can ask yourself what is more important, a young person's feelings or your opinion.

I don't expect an Amen, I seem to have stumbled into a church of different beliefs.

4. alemana

alemana New Member

you must be reading a different conversation than i am . *shrug*

5. saludas

saludas New Member

Especially when 'hearsay' or lack of insight is a part of the opinion.

For instance, the commentary about "Diana doing all the fancy stuff". Duh! This is Latin Dancesport; the woman is always showcased. Is David to be condemned for actually approaching this proam situation as if it were real Dancesport, and not the typical 'show off the student' mentality?

The fact that David went to Blackpool with Ashlyn and made cuts is a lot more important in assessing a situation rather than an observation as to his facial expression. That kind of comment is right up there with judging someone based on their costume.

Let these folks alone... personally, I don't think these folks care a hoot what a silver level senior thinks of their abilities, or expression, but D's right - the 'catty commentary' based upon "my opinion is valid simply because I have one" is really lame and hurtful.

Judges look at a much different thing than the spectator. Wise spectators should try to determine what that perspective is - it will help them to form valid 'opinions'.

Remember, opinions are like (insert vulgar body part here)... everybody has one...

6. saludas

saludas New Member

I guess so, but as they say, 'consider the source'... and realize also that opinions mean nothing without perspective.

7. redhead

redhead New Member

Now *that* is lame.
    And that's *your* opinion.
    Really, I've been reading this thread and didn't see anything disrespectful/ anything that would hurt any (reasonable) person's feelings... just ppl talking. Why jump on it like that?

8. saludas

saludas New Member

Well, you might read the comment that I was commenting on and agreeing with by Dancefever... it was said that the reason that you look around at the local social and only see old people is because of the comments made about young people:

<<<If you have an opinion of others and it makes you feel better to publicly state it, go ahead. If others call you on it, you can stand by your rights, but it still doesn't show respect.

Someday when you are sitting in a dance hall looking at the old crowd and wondering why young people are not dancing, you might remember that these catty little comments get out and turn people off to dancing.

We are lucky that we cannot understand the dancers speaking in Russian so we don't know how bad they think Americans dance. People like David and Ashlynn are the future of Dancesport, they deserve respect, just as much as you deserve your right to have an opinion. But maybe you can ask yourself what is more important, a young person's feelings or your opinion. >>>

get it?

9. alemana

alemana New Member

what was catty? exactly?

10. redhead

redhead New Member

yeah!!!

11. redhead

redhead New Member

And who was talking disrespectfully about Ashlynn and David here? Or any young people?
    get it? back at you

12. saludas

saludas New Member

Er, I didn't start the 'catty' comments, I was agreeing with what DANCEFEVER said, about 'catty comments'. reread DNCEFEVER's post, and then mine...

13. saludas

saludas New Member

Er, a few people. I was commenting on another poster's comments that basically you should watch what you say, because it tends to be hurtful when comments are posted about young people, our future dancesport stars, when they are still 'growing'.

14. redhead

redhead New Member

How old are those young people? If they are reasonable grown-ups, how can a comment "Ashlynn is good but not as good as David" possibly be hurtful?
    Why would you attack people here for that? Why are their feelings any less important than A., or D., or yours?
    Not trying to sound "catty", but that was my point.

15. saludas

saludas New Member

I respectfully request that you reread this thread, and focus your reply to the person who ORIGIONALLY made the comment you are addressing. My post was essentially AGREEING with Dancefever's post. And after you reread the thread, you will see why 'being hurtful' was brought up...

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I doesn't matter what was catty... thats not what the thread is about, so let's not move in that direction... mkay?

Back to some other more substantial points. Movie-goers decide what movies are hits and which ones are flops. And movie-goers are there to be entertained. It is not the expert film critics that decide the gross that a film can bring in. I don't really see any difference between that and us. So, yes, even adult silver level dancers can make decisions about what is good and what is not. If a smile moves someone while watching a performance then that is a valid opinion. Regardless of what the "experts" say.

David is a fantasic dancer. He is a US champion. No one is taking that away from him. Diana is a World Champion, and there is nothing wrong with her doing what she is trained to do... dance circles around everyone on the floor. Together they make a great pair onthe floor. And I seriously doubt that some people expressing thoughts about his dancing is going to ruin him emotionally so completely that he gives up dancing... as with the rest of the young dancers.

Young dancers move on and leave the industry because they grow up and their interests change. As do adults. If the average "lifespan" of a dancer is 15 years... well then if a person starts at 8 then by the time they are 22-23 they are ready to move on to other challenges in life. That is a hugely transitional time in ones life. A fair amount of adults start in their 40's and don't even make it 15 years... I seriously doubt that dancers leave because people are critiquing the dancing... especially if the dancer is a competitor. That is what they are voluntarily signing up for. To be a competitor you have got to have thick skin, because people are deciding your worth in the industry based on your dancing.

17. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Wowwww.
    I caused all this? What did I say?
    I said: David is good. David is very good. Ashlenn is good. Ashlenn is very good. David is better than Ashlenn. (Shoot me, ok? It's my opinion.) Diana does wonderful moves. (And she does. Believe me. She does).
    What else????? Hmmm.
    I speculated about the possible reason for David and Ashlenn's breakup. I swear, I double swear, I triple swear, I never thought this might raise anyone's hackles. Charles and Di they are not. It was a while back. Who cares? I may be wrong. It's my speculation. On a very, very, immaterial issue. Get over it.
    Could it be that I implied that David may not be in the top tier of the current crop of US amateurs? If you have a different opinion, please say that, without namecalling.
    The funny thing is, I actually like these kids. I thought that is what I was expressing in my original posts.
    Sheesh.

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

DJ, I am not sure where things went bad... or why. And yes we can carry on this conversation without the namecalling.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Thin skin is where things went bad.

20. 123N

123N New Member

There is quite a bit of difference dancing pro-am vs am-am. After several practice sessions with a female pro, I find the most striking difference is that I can concentrate more on presentation with music rather than worrying about my partner! Also, I can put a lot more energy, power and CBM to maximize a figure than before. Wish I've done this earlier.