Pro Am where Am is the male

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 123N, Oct 25, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

interesting conversation here....
  2. Medira

Medira New Member

Not necessarily... Don't completely ignore what may happen if a strong friendship develops.
  3. Medira

Medira New Member

Oh honey, don't hold your breath! *grin* After all, I have my ways... :p
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

do you forget saludas that a good pro has em lined around the block and can fill my space with plenty of others....sure he'd rather be on a tropical island with a bevvy of babes...and not dancing....but he picks and chooses as he sees fit....
  5. fascination

friendship:shock: gasp:shock: surely not:wink: :wink:
  6. Medira

Medira New Member

*snerk* Never! :wink:
  7. fascination

you'll have to put poisin in my margarita otherwise, I'll be dancing with him with one of you hanging on each of my wrists like limp little floats:-D
  8. saludas

saludas New Member

Don't you think that he chooses people to teach based on how EASY =the coaching is? That he'd rather teach someone who is accepting and nonconfrontational, for example?

I honestly think that the pro would rather not HAVE to teach at all but would CHOOSE to teach, but I really think that most pros would rather not have to teach and instead practice with THEIR partner, go golfing, etc.

Would you RATHER go to work, or if you had a choice, do something else that was YOUR choice? Put yourself in your coache's danceshoes...
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Definition of partner by Webster:

Main Entry: 1part·ner
    Pronunciation: 'pärt-n&r also 'pärd-
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English partener, alteration of parcener, from Anglo-French, coparcener -- more at PARCENER
    1 archaic : one that shares : PARTAKER
    2 a : one associated with another especially in an action : ASSOCIATE, COLLEAGUE b : either of two persons who dance together c : one of two or more persons who play together in a game against an opposing side d : either of two people living together; especially : SPOUSE
    3 : a member of a partnership; also : such membership
    4 : one of the heavy timbers that strengthen a ship's deck to support a mast -- usually used in plural
    - part·ner·less /-l&s/ adjective
  10. Medira

Medira New Member

Unless, of course, youth wins over beauty. in this instance. :wink:
  11. mamboqueen

Okay...I guess in cases where we're deemed a heavy timber...

So, I don't really buy the "money changes everything" argument, although I don't really feel strongly about this either way. When I'm dancing with someone, regardless of the exchange of money, at that moment, he's my partner....at least according to dear ol' Webster.
  12. Medira

Medira New Member

Can't get much more fitting than that, I think. :D
  13. mamboqueen

Oh....a hit below the belt! Yeooow!
  14. fascination

NONCONFRONTATIONAL, sir have you fallen upon your head? rotflmao...me?

anyhow, this is the difference btwn a job and a vocation...one has a vocation for themself that benefits others and gives them joy....while we all like recreation, those of us who have a vocation are very proud of our product...not merely putting in time....
  15. mamboqueen

Ya know, I thought for a moment you edited that and I had to go back and re-read it! Guess I found the perfect site.

And in case you think I edited the definition myself: www.websters.com
  16. Medira

Medira New Member

Hey, all's fair in the hunt for an am partner, isn't it?

Just remember, no matter what... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  17. mamboqueen

*sitting back and watching these two decimiate each other....then *pounce* at the am*
  18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I understand where you're coming from with this saludas, but there are pros out there who actually get the most satisfaction from being teachers. For this set competing is just part of what you need to do to set yourself up as a teacher and not vice versa.

But as you say, here too the preference would, of course, be to do what one chooses and not what one must.
  19. mamboqueen

And that definitely describes my teacher. There are other things he could do...he would tell you himself, he does it because he loves it.
  20. fascination

wait a minute there...I beleive she is claiming youth, not beauty...and if that's the case...I'll take beauty...:cool:(vain superficial chick that I am )