Problems as couple learning dance

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Jongleur9418, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

I still think that if you want to dance with your husband, separating (in the context that some of the others are using to take separate lessons, other dancers, for a sustained period of time, etc.) isn't the way to go about it. You can have both, but it's very difficult to keep both happy. I just think there are instructors who exist who can work with a couple and keep them intact a little more easily than seems to be the scenario.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that is your perspective...I am only saying that there are other legitimate opinions...while there are possibly these "divide and conquer" instructors of which you speak...there are opportunistic instructors on the other end who prefer couples so that all they have to do is sit on their duffs and yammer and not really have to display their talent or lack thereof.....while I hear you saying that, given a good instructor, dancing together is the best route...some couples may never have gotten that far, becuase of their own personalities and/or relationship dynamics....it is possible for two people to progress separately and dance well together...and for their relationship to be the better for it...like two people who know they can't cook in the kitchen together but can enjoy the meal....there is no quick fix with either route.....some will succeed one way, some the other....or fail either way...different strokes for different folks
    Lyra and Jongleur9418 like this.
  3. Hedwaite

I know. I was just saying that maybe they need to branch out and look around a little more, at what other instruction options are available, assuming they're not cookie-cutter.
  4. fascination

I can ertainly agree with the idea of people needing to shop around...it is hard to be wise about an instructor when one is new...it is hard to be objective about an instuctor once one has been with them al while...neither is a good thing...and when a problem arises, that always needs to be a consideration
  5. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

I do agree! Most times in a private lesson, we would practice lead/follow in front of our instructor repeatly through some patterns. I'm sometimes wondering that we both would perhaps improve much faster if each practices lead/follow with a instructor or advanced dancer. I liked the idea that two people progress separately and dance well together.
  6. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

We do shop around but there are some limits in the area. I then understand that you travel in distance to dance.
  7. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

Good suggestion! I would be very pleased to see his dancing with a pro to better his game. I will talk to him today! Thank you!
  8. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

I sometimes wished that if I could pay for an instructor or advanced dancer to just dance with me a couple of hours a week in party or alone while still taking lessons and social with my husband. What do you guys think?
  9. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Many instructors offer this service.
  10. Hedwaite

Do you pay mileage? Lol
    Jongleur9418 and Bailamosdance like this.
  11. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

Many advanced dancers would be more than happy to do this with you for free!! (Check around at parties. But clear it with your husband first.)
    Jongleur9418 likes this.
  12. fascination

I would be thrilled if a silver or above in technique guy wanted to make himself available for parties and practices....
    Jongleur9418 likes this.
  13. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

Perhaps not a bad deal! Or I will have to pay my own. LOL

I once ran into a ballroom at LA and saw some instructors and dancers sitting around to be hired just for dancing. Unfortunately, that is 3 hours away from me.
  14. Loki

Loki Active Member

LA or OC?
  15. Jongleur9418

Jongleur9418 Member

LA
  16. Loki

Loki Active Member

Standard/Latin or Smooth/Rhythm?

I see very few people dancing Standard at socials and when they do, many other dancers wonder what they're doing. Perhaps I need to "raise the bar" on the socials I attend.
  17. fascination

I would take what I could get...though standard and smooth are my preferred styles, I dance all 4 respectably.......