Promenade Lock (turning Left) to Right Lunge

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jun 9, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I see most professional couples use this figure nowadays. They have precedes or variations that differ but almost all do it. Would love to explore this figure, and my first question is: When do you transition from promenade position to closed position?

I have my answer, but curious to hear yours.

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

We have this in the corner I believe, as we were told by a pro who we took a lesson with, is that the change happens during the lunge.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Single lock or double lock?

4. DanceMentor

I thought singular would be assumed but why not talk about double as well if someone has a point to make there too?

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

concur.. that is what we were taught also

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

During the lunge is ambivalent. On his left foot, From his left foot, Taking Weight on his right foot, On his right foot.... All of these are "during the lunge".

7. DanceMentor

You just created an ambivalanche. :) New word describing an avalanche of varying ideas.

Seems to happen while on the right foot for me.

8. Mr 4 styles

i think its from his left foot

larinda???

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you are talking about a single lock (12&3, lunge on RF on 1 next bar), you need to close before the 3, so on the &. If you are talking about a double lock (12&3& step on 1, lunge on RF on 2), you still need to close on the first &.

10. DanceMentor

If you watch say about 1:30 on this video, it looks to me like the closure take place while on his right foot in the lunge.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Doubtful. Unless you're doing some funky promenade lock, the lady needs to lock, and that happens with her LF locking in front of her RF. A closure needs to occur for that to happen. The head may not close, but the body must.

Go ahead and try it out yourself as lady.

12. Mr 4 styles

concur.... that is why I think it is from his left foot.

stash likes this.
  13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Yes, from his left foot. I never really thought about it, as i was led through by said pro on what it should feel like and have just replicated it from there. I didn't think about it before I posted.

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There is a shape change during the lunge, but not a change in body position w.r.t. PP. All of that needs to happen before the man steps forward on his LF prior to the lunge.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  15. DanceMentor

Thanks for the insight. Our favorite coach felt it was on the RF lunge, but sounds like there are differing ideas and that is healthy!

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would think it virtually impossible to [comfortably] change from PP to closed on the step into the lunge.

17. Larinda McRaven

I think most people equate the head change to be the positional change ... which is why there could be such a wide variety of answers around which foot.

You could close your head with the body, you could close your head with the shape change that occurs well in the mans right foot after the lunge.

stash likes this.
  18. DanceMentor

Step into the lunge in fallaway and then change to closed during the shape.

19. Larinda McRaven

When do her feet change I guess is the best question.

20. DanceMentor

I could see closing between left and right as well as after arriving on the lunge. I don't personally like the closing on the lock, but I'm sure some couples might do that. For example, in the Tango promenade side lock, it is a similar action. I just don't prefer that for waltz.