Proper way to stretch your way into a split?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chocobebe, Apr 10, 2011.

1. No, I didn't think so. Maybe I need to do a bit more strengthening? At the moment I'm pretty much relying on cycling and the little bit (I hope) I'm getting from the isometric stretch.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if the knee area needs to be strengthened I might consider going backwards on the elliptical as well...which builds and stabilizes the area around the knee
  3. Please could you explain 'backwards on the elliptical'?
  4. fascination

the elliptical is a machine....usually people walk in a forward motion on it...but you can walk in a backward motion on it...and that will help to reinforce the knee
  5. Oh I see, thanks. I'm not a gym goer, so will pass on that one. I do a wobble board session most days though, should help a bit I guess...
  6. fascination

walking backwards, if you can do it safely, would meet the same needs
  7. Aura

Aura Active Member

Thanks for answering my numerous questions, Sam. I've been carefully trying pulsing (i.e. relaxation and contraction whilst stretching) when I do my stretches, and I'm pleased to say that I can see a noticeable difference, especially in the time it takes to get my muscles ready to go down into my splits. Update: I just got my right splits. Yay! It's definitely not as good as my left, but its there.
    samina likes this.
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it, Aura!

I'm currently using the same pulsing/active technique to regain my flexibility in a number of areas. I can't imagine doing it any other way, at this point.