Qualifying for 2013 USA Dance Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Alice.W, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Alice.W

Alice.W Member

Could someone please clarify two questions about qualifying for USA Dance 2013 Nationals:

1. The official 2013 Nationals website sites this competition as NQE:
    - USA Dance Southwest Regional; Laguna Woods Village, CA: Feb. 16 & 17, 2013 (nwr)

However, the O2CM lists this one as Southwest regional NQE on Feb 1st and 2nd

Southwest Dancesport Championships (NQE)
    Culver City Veterans Auditorium, Culver City CA

So are there two separate competitions, or just one, and which one is correct?

2. I've seen somewhere that if there are fewer than 5 couples in an event (e.g., Senior I Gold Smooth) at NQE, than ALL 5 couples qualify for the Nationals, but I can't find it anywhere in a rulebook. Is it true?

Thanks!

2. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I can't help on your first question, but I believe the section of the rulebook you're looking for for your second question is 4.2.5.c.3.a. That's on page 36 of Rulebook Edition 14, 2012A. If there are 4 or fewer couples in an event, all couples qualify.

3. Alice.W

Alice.W Member

Thanks!

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

5. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

HI,

I just checked the website and the dates are the 1-2 of Feb, I'll make the changes on the Nationals website tonight and Joe is correct if there are 4 or fewer couples then all 4 couples qualify.

Jananananana likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

when will the "qualified couples" part of the nationals website be updated to 2013??

7. Mr 4 styles

02cm is always right hee hee

8. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Not to be snide, but after the NQEs that occur in 2013 :). Since the MAC (which everyone should be registering for) occurs over Martin Luther King weekend, Jan 18-20, 2013, (great 3-day weekend to visit NYC) and the SW NQE is the weekend of Feb 1 & 2, I'd imagine that the list will be updated around then but before the last NQE Feb 16 & 17 in Maryland.

9. Mr 4 styles

last year they were updated on the fly as each NQE occured. that is how i tracked who my competition would be in each division for natls last year

why the change?? too much work??

Bailamosdance likes this.
  10. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Even last year we didn't get the MAC data up all that quickly, as evidenced by the number of emails I got complaining that it wasn't up, but you are right, it's a lot of work and rather than promise something that won't happen I'd rather be realistic and if it happens quicker than I anticipated all the better.

11. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Question if there is a 6 couple final (straight final) then how many of those couples qualify? I thought it was 75% so only 1-4 would qualify?

12. Mr 4 styles

correct smidra86

13. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

That's my understanding. We were 6th in a straight 6-couple final in September at an NQE and did not qualify.

14. Mr 4 styles

hope no one complains if nationals registration lags a bit as a result just sayin:cool:

15. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Although I think the couple that was 5th has qualified. Not saying I don't want them to qualify (the more competition the better) but it just confused me a little.

16. JudeMorrigan

I'm slightly confused. So far as I can tell, it's updated to reflect the results at least as recent as Carolina. (It might be more, but that's the one and only NQE I've done this year. Hence it's the only one I'd previously checked.) Is it just a case of more recent NQEs not having been updated yet? Are you sure you don't have an old version of the spreadsheet cached or something?

17. JudeMorrigan

It's actually the top 5 couples that qualify in a 6 couple final. From the above-referenced secion of the rulebook:

18. Mr 4 styles

will recheck now

19. Mr 4 styles

ahhh it was thanks

20. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Ohhh that makes sense. I didn't see that rule.