Quality of social dancing in different regions

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by toothlesstiger, Nov 13, 2012.

1. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

After finally hitting all the major dance venues in our area, DW and I feel we have a pretty good sense of the level of social dance. It's not what it was when we were dancing in San Jose, except in the case of WC Swing.

So my question is, what are the regions where you've seen the highest levels of social dancing, in different styles (ballroom, salsa, swing, etc.)?
  2. Easy

Easy Active Member

Haven't been around enough, but I imagine the bigger cities would have more venues for social dancing. If its a smaller city, there's probably a really good dance studio in the area.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

So, I was in Vegas this last week, and I actually saw a few couples dancing in time to the music when they were doing West Coast Swing. Here in Portland, I rarely see anyone doing that. The caveat here is that I am talking country western clientele, not "Westies." I was able to find women to do reasonable WCS in Long Beach at Cowboy Country, but it was a bit of a challenge in Vegas.
    I have to say too, that there were some very good Westies at the Press Box in Westminster, CA (Los Angeles area) when I was there a few years ago.

I hope no one forgets that West Coast is an advanced dance. (Sometimes I wonder when I read some of the posts here.)

Nearly ALL the two steppers down there in Stoney's (which is in a new space closer to the strip) on Two Step Tuesday were on the beat most of the time. Here in Portland where I go, they don't play too many slow/medium speed two steps, which means no one (well almost no one) can really keep up with the beat. And in general, people don't get the beat. I find in general that the Stoney's gals aren't as used to the kinds of turn that I lead, which my partners here in Portland have caught on to.

They don't do night club at Stoney's, although I did get someone on the floor who caught on quickly. Can't remember much about their waltz down there, but my overall impression is that they are more with the beat than here in Portland.

And, one more, which is the Argentine Tango danced by the milongueros in Lo de Celia and El Arranque in Buenos Aires. Those guys are hands down more musical that the AT dancers here in Portland. It's one of the few times (outside of musicals and films) that I have seem a whole room full of partner dancers look like the music.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

When I used to travel all the time, I went to socials in many parts of the country. Louisville, KY, had the most active and enthusiastic BR social dance scene of anywhere I went.
  5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Interestingly, around here I think that it is the WCS community that is most developed. Still not what it was when I left Silicon Valley, but if I see some dancing I like to watch at a social, it is most likely to be WCS around here.

DW is starting to move in the direction now of wanting to spend some more time on club dances, which is a happy thing for me.

I realize now that because I'm somewhat flexible in my dancing tastes, what's well developed where I am has a strong influence on what I want to dance.
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Well, traveled to the Seattle area many times and always had a great experience with the ballroom and WCS there. Liked what I've seen in San Diego too.
  7. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

The DC/Baltimore area seems to have a very strong Swing dance scene from what I've seen and heard. For various historical reasons as well as population.

BR? Not sure... back when I was doing it, it seemed mostly focused on studio socials and student clubs. I think there may be a couple larger venues around for ballroom social dancing.

Argentine Tango is thriving, veers toward traditional. It's possible to go social dancing every night of the week, which I know isn't true for tango in many other areas.
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

While this discussion centers around the quality of social dance in various locales I want to say that among the best types in my experience are those dance parties given by someone at their home. While smaller space may make dancing not as easy these gatherings particularly during the holidays rate very high in my enjoyment.
    pygmalion likes this.