question on head flips

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by yippee1999, Sep 26, 2007.

1. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

So I just started trying head flips. Is it my imagination, or can it mess up your upper back? (seems to make sense!!) :--) My upper back feels messed up often, ever since I began doing them.

I AM doing neck and shoulder rolls beforehand to help loosen things up, but beyond that is there anything I can do to protect my upper back?

Is this common what I'm experiencing? Might it get better as my body gets more used to my doing this motion?

Tx.
  2. tj

tj New Member

No idea, but please be careful! Wouldn't want you to throw your neck out!
  3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Another affectation out of Ballroom . Personal choice, I know. I dont even teach it in my Intern. latin .
  4. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

5. noobster

noobster New Member

Maybe you're doing them too hard? I use them a lot but it's usually sort of a gentle continuation of the spin motion, just rolling through my neck and out my head. I definitely don't feel like I'm working my upper back.

Terence: I don't know where these originated but I think the Latinas have pretty much made them their own. ;) I've yet to see a ballroom dancer who can do a head roll with the attitude some of these women have. Z-snap optional of course. :D
  6. bailarina

bailarina New Member

flips

LOL ...There is a shampoo commercial on tv that has a woman in a neck brace from head flipping right now! ;)

don't be that girl!

It does seem like you would want to have your neck/shoulders in good shape in advance. maybe yoga or circular -type dance excercises. Probably just good for you in general.

then to throw one into a dance, it is more the illusion of a neck snap/flip than a real one. try maybe with a a sharp nod but keep it in reasonable control so that you are in fact not hurting it.
  7. tangotime

Thats the one !!
  8. tangotime

Then you havent been around enough Prof. latin B.Room types .

Having been judging this action for over forty yrs--- as usual 95 % of what you dance, and see , comes from the ballroom world. Modifed or extended in some cases .Most of this developed from the competitive arena, which has now seeped into the social scene .
  9. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Thanks all. I think my neck/shoulders are prob in good overall shape, as I do yoga and pilates tower work. And before I do the head flips now, I do neck rolls/stretches. As to whether I am doing them too "hard", it seems to me that in order to get the effect, that you "have" to, no? I had a private with a head flip "pro", and she was telling me that the focus or momentum is all working towards the end, so when doing the flip, you want it to be like "POW!" at the very end....it should be fast, quick, snappy.

Noobster... you mentioned a Z-snap. What's that?

Tx.
  10. noobster

noobster New Member

No doubt it looks snappier if you do it that way... but if it's between that and staying out of a cervical collar, I'll take the slightly less snappy snap. ;)

Just a joke! You know what it is. Thumb and forefinger together, big Z in the air, head going side to side, Attitude with a capital A. :D Nothing to do with dancing.
  11. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

Yeah that's what the instructor said at a styling workshop I attended (it was about a head roll rather than flip but the same principle applies?). You should't actually throw your head back, which can do nasty things to your spine. Instead, you nod *down* first then bring the head up (roll it up for a head roll, straight up for a flip).

Having said that, I do head styling moves myself... dodgy neck.