Quickstep & Jive Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancingirldancing, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Hi,

Does anyone know whether Michael Bubble Spiderman is QS or not ?

Any other modern QS or Jive recommendation ?

Thanks !
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Count it. Version I found a preview of is around 45 mpm which would be in the ballpark for jive.

I have heard some version of spiderman used for quickstep that was appropriate tempo (low 50's) but in my opinion, a little undignified for use at a competition.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Undignified how?
  4. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Well, it's the theme song from a film, based on a kid's TV show, based on a comic book character. That doesn't really fit in with the sophisticated air that International Standard is supposed to portray.

But apart from that, it's just not that great a quickstep. I'm not keen on it, though it's quite popular at the local collegiate comps.
  5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Define "modern"....Candyman is a nice jive...Christina Aguilera
  6. Chris Stratton

Or in simpler words, it's more suited to jumping around the house in your pj's with a pillowcase on your shoulders...
  7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

And

I don't believe that just because a song came from a movie, makes it undignified, either. For example, there's the theme from Harry Potter, which is a great v. waltz. Oh, and I've danced to it at competition.
  8. Me

Me New Member

And you know this... how? :eek:
  9. Chris Stratton

Strictly second hand, as at the appropriate age I was unaware of the pantheon of the hall of justice.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

okay, gotta' admit that I like watching pros dance to the spiderman QS, it always brings a smile to my face.
  11. Bella

Bella New Member

My thoughts exactly! mamboqueen - we're like this :together:
  12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

:friend:
  13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I feel the same! QS isn't really a dignified dance IMO...it's more fun & sassy, as spirited as the spiderman song is.
  14. White Chacha

The original Harry Potter music (Hedwig's Theme I think it's called) wasn't a very good v-waltz. Shortly after the introductory part, it turns to being in 4 - not so waltzy. It took a ballroom cover to make it into a v-waltz.

But the Spiderman song doesn't have any of the interesting rhythmic variations and syncopation which make for good quickstep music. At least for my taste. Just about all it's got going for it is a cover at about the right tempo.
  15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

and thank you all for getting "Spider Pig, Spider Pig...." stuck in my head all day today.
  16. How can you say that a superhero who saved the world as undignified LOL !

I have seen IDSF Tango final playing Cell Block Tango.

Now that is funny as I think it is more of a musical than dance music even though the beat is usable !
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Cover, schmover. Tempo schmempo. WTH do you think software is for? :D
  18. White Chacha

Oy, I feel like I've just been back to the Queens, NY of my youth ;-)

I certainly "have software, will use"... if the song is right.
  19. Me

Me New Member

Oh, drat. I had this lovely visual cooked up of you tearing through the house in big boy onesies waving a bedsheet behind your shoulders and you executing sock footed chasses and locksteps.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Hmph. Sounds like you don't think dancing should be fun. :p

I assume you dislike dancing to the "George of the Jungle" theme too?