Quickstep & Jive Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancingirldancing, Feb 1, 2009.

1. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I just think dancing is more fun when the dance and the music compliment each other. And there's a lot of stuff I think would be fun for a social, for instance, but isn't "good enough" for a comp situation.

I feel like every competitor deserves music that is correct for the dance they're expected to perform, at the level which they're performing. Taking the quickstep example, for syllabus dancers I'd want something that's swingier; for open dancers, a song with a more prominent rhythm which matches the kinds of things they do in open quickstep.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That sounds all very dignified and proper.
  3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I dropped into kmart the other day looking for a cheap drying rack, and two guys in their late 20's dressed as (actually I'm not sure but just to pick randomly) bat man and robin ran through... they seemed to be having fun.
  4. Chris Stratton

With regard to George of the Jungle I agree with White Chacha. It's also been used at entry level competitions which I find particularly inappropriate, as the almost-samba character confuses the basic rhythm, and there's already enough problems with turbo-skip quickstep at that point.

But go ahead and play it at a social if you think it's fun.

Abd if some couple wants to use it at world superstars next year because they think they can build a show around it, that's their right to try. I may or may not be convinced.
  5. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

The most undignified song you can possibly imagine is "Epilepsy is Dancing" by Antony and the Johnsons, and it is also a superb song for a showdance V. Waltz (if a little risky, sensitive people might be offended).

Pushing the boundaries of song/ dance combinations is a great way of exploring the artistic potential of dancesport dances.

I also love Tangos to metal music. "Amarath" by Nightwish is an especially good one.
  6. Nik

Nik Member

This QS was the #1 requested song by Junior/youth couples last year at a number of comps.
  7. Chris Stratton

You seem to be forgetting rule #1:

What happens at midnight rounds stays at midnight rounds
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of anything with that name in their catalog. Are you sure that's the right song?
  9. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

It is called Amaranth. That's why. :)
  10. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

I didn't spell it very well, but it's the right song. It's a great Tango - especially if it's a Tango routine that opens with some New Vogue.
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ah, it's apparently from the album with their new singer.
  12. Chiron

Chiron New Member

Gotta say I agree. I really enjoy it when I am watching a dance and see a combo I wouldn't expect but see it work really well.
  13. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Totally agreed - for shows.