Quitting Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

No, not doing so or even considering it. But has anyone ever stopped dancing intending at the time of quitting, though coming back to it later? If so, for what reason?

There's been times when I've considered cutting back, but never quitting.
    Shameah Andrea likes this.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

There's an older thread that's similar (something to do with Dance Hiatus?) but I'm pretty sure that it's mainly focused on people who leave dance intending to come back, not on people plan to quit but who eventually come back to dance. I'll see if i can find that thread and figure out whether it applies to what you're asking. :cool:
  3. pygmalion

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think given the scarceity of men who dance at the level of my pro, that, were I to stop dancing with him, there is a very high likelihood that I would stop altogether
  5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I haven't danced now in four months. Sometimes life gets in the way...
    chomsky likes this.
  6. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of people wander away from our college team, most never return - it's just a thing they tried out for a while (months, maybe years) and that's all. They probably use it at weddings and the occasional bar.

I can think of two people who did come back, but left again after less than a year (one of whom still hangs out with others still dancing). And another who left for several years, and showed up back competing recently, out of the blue... not sure how long he will stay.
  7. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Oh, dear! Having stopped dancing for a few years, I'm now considering going back - and I'm ridonculously excited. The only thing is, having danced a lot in the past, I'm dreading my first few weeks. I've gone from being super fit (and dancing 5-7 days a week) to doing, well, nothing! Zoiks!!!
    Purr, chomsky and Terpsichorean Clod like this.
  8. pygmalion

MadamSamba!!!!

Hi! It's great to see you again. :)
    chomsky likes this.
  9. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hiya, pygmalion!! :) Soooo lovely to see you again!!! I didn't think anybody would remember!! I'm PMing you!
    :)
    pygmalion likes this.
  10. pygmalion

How could I forget you? :)
  11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

here is some inspiration for you, and thank you for the word 'ridonculously'

12. Dots

Dots Active Member

My contract will run out in about 1 or 2 months and once its done, I will not be in a position to renew (after 4 years). I went from being single to getting married soon, so my budget (and time) simply needs to go elsewhere. That and all my dance goals are accomplished. I'll still dance at parties and such, but life is simply taking me elsewhere at the moment. Strangely enough, I'm not feeling bitter about it since there are other challenges ahead to look forward to.
    chomsky and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. pygmalion

Congrats on the upcoming wedding! :) There's a saying about friendships that I think sometimes applies to dance. It's long so I won't bore you with it, but it basically says that friends can come into our lives for a reason, for a season or for a lifetime.

It sounds like you've enjoyed your season with dance as a "friend." That works. :)
  14. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing
  15. chomsky

I’ve been in and out of dancing and it first happened in August last year; it was because of health reasons and money reasons. At a time, it was even because I wanted to prove to myself I can quit and stop thinking about it as if I had an obsessive compulsive disorder syndrome. Now, something has come up in my life again. Only just now, I am announcing to my dance friends and teachers that I’ll be off for a month. God willing, I’ll come back to my parties and lessons even before that! I hope I’m not bringing bad luck to myself!!!! I just love dancing, it’s my passion. Wish me luck, my friends, I’ll just try and keep practicing for a month!!!!!!
  16. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

course my dear: I´ll keep my fingers crossed 4 you!
    chomsky likes this.
  17. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Years ago, I told my husband I would give up dancing if that meant I could have a horse again. That was such a lie. I couldn't give it up. In fact, I just finalized the deal to let the horse go to someone else to enjoy so I can refocus that time and money on dance. I do know people who have given it up, though, who had been very dedicated. One couple just couldn't get to the level they wanted to, and they decided they'd rather stop dancing than continue not living up to their own expectations. Another competed for years and met basically all of her goals and I think she just lost her heart for it.
    chomsky likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

if you just dance for goals you will stop someday

if you dance for the love of it you wont

ohh and tell the last couple to switch to country!!:D
    chomsky likes this.
  19. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

All true. Goals are good, but if you don't have the passion, you'll eventually lose interest.
    chomsky, Gorme and Mr 4 styles like this.
  20. chomsky

Funny thing, this word...passion...What is passion?How is it defined? What is love? I have only had one love and a very crazy love. The past two years it’s as if dance is a second person in my life, a physical presence. And I’m so in love with it/him/her that I sometimes feel I betray my one and true love. Is that what a passion for dance makes you do? What if it isn’t? Would it matter if it’s not passion but merely an infatuation? Why do I feel as if it defines me? Why do I feel the need to share this with you and why do I think about these things day and night? I’m not but a cripple dancer at the end of the day all with my physical limits or otherwise. So, why do I torture myself with this label, dancer? I guess I should have posted all this at another thread…Even as we speak, I am not supposed to have DF open as I am at work and I have problems at work and no internet access otherwise. Still, I can’t stop being active at DF, I’d even risk a reprimand just to visit it…