Quitting Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I loved that you shared this twnkltoz...
  2. chomsky

thanks a thousand for your kind words opendoor!
  3. Dots

Dots Active Member

Well, this is it; my last private lesson is tonight and then it’s over. I took the time to prepare a gift; an album with pictures from the past 4 years, complete with dates and comments. My goal will be to elicit more laughs / smiles out of my teacher than tears, which will not be easy (I was her first student, so it’s bound to get emotional). I hope I can pull it off.

I’ll dig into my arsenal and bring out songs like “gummy bears”, “Gungnam Style” and “Share it maybe” (the last being sung by the Cookie Monster). I know the songs are ridiculous, but at least they make people smile :)

Wish me luck!
    Purr and chomsky like this.
  4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

That sounds so sadly, Dots. Will there actually be no way to keep on dancing?
    chomsky likes this.
  5. chomsky

I so feel for you!
  6. Dots

Dots Active Member

Oh I will still dance, but just maybe not in the context of an AM franchise, that’s all. I loved every moment of it, and I have preserved every move, from Bronze 1 to silver 1, in over 800 pages of pdf documents, complete with foot drawings and such. Now it just means I get to transfer as much of that knowledge to my fiancée and make a cool wedding dance. I also have a project of making my own private Android app to sort through all the moves, just to geek out. So yes, dancing will still be part of my life, but in a different way ;)

Yesterday’s last lesson was a complete success! The Gummy Bear song was perfect, turning a sad moment into chuckling and then laughter! My verdict, everyone should have a few completely ridiculous songs on their phones / MP3 players for emergencies :p
    fascination likes this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good for you...life takes many turns...enjoy this new one
  8. BreAna

BreAna Member

College is one of those things that has really gotten in the way of dancing. It's mostly the money factor, and my school doesn't have a ballroom program like most in New England do. However, I've been doing everything I can to keep up with lessons, so I suppose I have to give myself credit for trying. I'm a go-hard-or-go-home kind of person, so I'm just trying to enjoy the fun of college before my life revolves around dancing again.
    Gorme and chomsky like this.
  9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

College is a good time to concentrate on... college. Doesn't mean you can't dance whenever it fits in though.
    Purr and fascination like this.
  10. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

I actually am on the flip side of the coin then, I guess. :p I didn't pick up ballroom until college and now I'm downright addicted, haha!

I will say though, since I'm a premedical student, I'm terrified of going to medical school not because I'm worried I won't be able to handle it but because I'm pretty sure it will mean giving up ballroom for probably near 10 years. :(
  11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

not really you wont be able to do as much but you can still use it as your workout trust me im a .. well you know:p
  12. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

That made me laugh :hilarious: But definitely good to hear; because I'd hate to think I'd have to give up dancing for so long!
    chomsky likes this.
  13. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

There's a guy here that has been dancing champ latin all throughout his medical program. Even when he was doing his residency, he was attending comps. When asked how he did it, he said that he cut back on sleep.
    Purr, fascination and Ailuene like this.
  14. justforkix

justforkix New Member

I quit dance as i get hurt in back and after one year i am back again
    chomsky likes this.
  15. chomsky

I was forced to give up on dancing twice...money and an accident on my herniated disc.
    So,twice and now I'm back. How nice it is to be back! I get back! I did it twice!!!
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

booyah ditto that!!!
    chomsky and Ailuene like this.
  17. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Since I started dancing 4 years ago, there was never a day that I was not thinking about it, practicing, going to lessons, watching videos, going to comps, preparing for comps or showcases, etc. I thought for sure there would never come a day when I would not be involved in dancing in some capacity.

But it seems my hand has been forced on the issue of trying to decide if I love dancing enough to compromise my own set of convictions or to stand my ground and quit. I guess I just always thought that if I ever did quit dancing, it would be on my own terms. It seems I may have been mistaken. I feel as though I'm being forced out by circumstances beyond my control, or stay and feel as though I'm not respecting myself enough. Sigh. I hope no one else ever has to go through this. My hope is that we all come to dancing and leave it when the time comes on our own terms.
    chomsky likes this.
  18. fascination

hug....I am confident that when ever we make a good decision, opportunity /joy will somehow find a way to flow...and when we don't, continued misery is certain...nother hug
  19. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Thanks fasc. I needed to hear that.
  20. fascination

you are welcome...it makes more sense now that I went back and edited myself:rolleyes: