Quitting Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Feb 27, 2013.

1. raindance

raindance Active Member

I am sorry to hear that, Wannabee. Sounds like you are making the best of a tough situation. I hope dance comes back to your life in the future, if it is meant to, and in a way that good for you.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Aw let's face it, once dancing gets into our blood it stays and we will search for whatever angle needed to keep at it. It's been that good to us.

chomsky likes this.
  3. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I will confess that I have been thinking much about any other potential avenues of dance in my small town, simply because the thought of quitting altogether is just too heartbreaking. And maybe there is hope that my current situation will not require me to give up what I am currently doing.

chomsky likes this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

when my dance world crumbled...I couldn't imagine any viable alternative...but my love of dance drove me to get into my car and drive all the way to indy, crying several weeks in a row all the way down there, sometimes on the lessons and often on the way home...but, within a month I realized that I was about to embark upon one of the best new beginnings that I could hope for...it was bittersweet for a while, and it certainly isn't convenient, but I am so very glad now

Gorme, stash and chomsky like this.
  5. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Wannabee, if you’ll realize that you have to dance no matter what, may be you consider a few months vacation on the East cost – New York and New Jersey, and get plenty of top rated instructions and lessons and coaching if you plan in advance and schedule lessons before you arrive in any style you wish. That would be a treat to yourself if you decide to continue dancing. I can’t even imagine where in US only one studio with one monopoly rule instructor and no alternative for quality dancing in a reasonable distance, even 70 miles. That has to be a way. Hug.

6. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

This! Right here is my biggest fear....that somehow I may be forced to give up dancing that I love so much. Like you, not a day goes by that I don't think about dance. I have dealth with a situation that almost made me give up, except I really really wanted to dance. So I found a way to keep doing it even though I had to drive for classes and spend time doing that. I so hope you find some healing, and most importantly find a way to keep dancing...hugs...

chomsky likes this.
  7. Shameah Andrea

Shameah Andrea New Member

I have thinking of quitting because I feel I am a very damaged dancer. Meaning I have alot of injuries and I don't wanna hurt myself anymore. And I am also damaged on the inside too. I have never looked at one dance recital tape, dance rehearsal tape, or a youtube video I am in and thought once I looked good as a dancer. Its sad to say but yes its something I need to fix. But as young as I am I have chosen to step back from my dance career and be come a choreographer. I am a genius at it and its my passion more than anything now. No I will not stop dancing. Because its in me. i have been dancing since I was three. its my life. heck! My mom is a study owner. lol. No I will probably not perform as much as I use to. But I will continue to stretch and take classes.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

neither have I and I have done very well ... I have learned to accept that video is for my coaches to work on my dancing not for me to enjoy I accept this now

9. Aura

Aura Active Member

I remember when my first teacher suddenly left, I felt like I wanted to quit. Then, I eventually realized that dancing, for me, is its own end. I wasn't dancing for my teacher or anybody else. It was--and still is--my passion. Then, there are sporadic feelings of burn-out, but I always manage to come back. I'd say my biggest fear right now is how my dancing will transition as my life progresses, like when I graduate from college or get a steady job.

stash and chomsky like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

marry well.. and make sure he/she dances:eek:

stash likes this.
  11. Aura

Aura Active Member

Ha! I would actually appreciate a spouse that dances. ;) But, its not the end of the world if he doesn't.

SwayWithMe and Mr 4 styles like this.
  12. fascination

or be independently wealthy, or certain that if they don't dance, they are willing to help finance it...

SwayWithMe and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

now this is me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wow! again and again...this keeps happening here, people mirroring me! or is it me mirroring others? this is why I just looooove df...

14. Aura

Aura Active Member

I have no idea how my future is going to pan out, but I certainly hope that if I marry a man that isn't keen on dancing he'll help finance it. I can certainly see myself wanting to do the same for him and his passion.

I love DF, too. I'm currently looking for friends nearer my age that love dancing like I do. Sometimes the search can be quite frustrating and lonely. That's when I come here.

FancyFeet likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

why would you do that????:eek::cool:

Aura likes this.
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I think you have to be able to finance your dance lifestyle. Expecting your partner to finance it can only lead to problems. Especially since the costs of a dance lifestyle are significant. Just my opinion

Dots likes this.
  17. fascination

yea...depends on how you see family finances and the conversations you have about that prior to embarking upon it...the meaning of partner is relative...at our house, our money is ours, our dreams are ours, and our accomplishments are ours...

SwayWithMe, chomsky and Aura like this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

ditto that.. for me im very fortunate that my wife and I dance/compete together as well as have pro am partners

being on exactly the same page works well for us

19. Aura

Aura Active Member

To half-way joke, I have no clue why I'd do that. In all seriousness, I've met several couples where the other partner does not dance, so I'm just considering the possibility.

Noted

I'll double-ditto this, too. This is the view of marriage my mother has been teaching me. But, seeing as I'm not married yet, I don't want to speculate too much. Though I'd be lying if I told y'all that being married and still maintaining my dancing doesn't worry me sometimes.

20. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever get married again, so this is probably a moot point, but I'm kind of on the fence about dancing spouses now. The way my soon-to-be-ex-husband and I got along on the dance floor, it got to the point where we didn't really enjoy dancing together much anymore and often spent the night apart anyway. He gave up on Tango and didn't do ballroom, so I often went out without him. So, it got to the point where it didn't even matter that he danced. Now, of course, I don't have him as a dance partner at all, so it wouldn't make much difference to have an SO that doesn't dance...as long as he's able to deal with how often I go out without him.