Quitting Dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Feb 27, 2013.

1. elliott

elliott New Member

I quit in the early nineties, if you can imagine. Dancesport hadn't even been invented! I was a bit of a disco disaster, and concluded my career in ballroom at the same time I made some other serious lifestyle changes.
    Now I live in a village in Mexico, and little by little I've shared my old knowledge with some Mexican teens who needed a little healthy diversion. Then I started getting asked to teach at parties and suddenly I woke up one morning completely in love with ballroom dancing again. It's a challenge to get myself up to speed down here, and there's no dancers except the ones I train, but to have that passion back is a gift that I can't describe.
    twnkltoz and chomsky like this.
  2. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Now this is a lovely post.Thanks for sharing with us. At the other side of the earth from Athens, Greece, I smiled when I read it. Thanks again!So, how many years was the gap, if you don't mind my asking? It's like what they say...once you have dance in your life then it runs in your veins...
  3. elliott

elliott New Member

Well, that certainly seem true in my case! When I quit is a little blurry, as I alluded to in my earlier post. '93 ish? I'm glad my story made you smile...I seem to be experiencing a fairy tale ending, primarily because that's what it seems like to me!

I have two, maybe three students here who are considering a pro am comp next year..with me as the pro. I'm going to feel like Austin Powers. When you see the lady in the old fashioned smooth dress with the square dance petticoats, you'll know it's me.
    chomsky likes this.
  4. barn etto

barn etto New Member

I started dance this year, and given my past history--yes, I plan on quitting.

I seem to go through activities, reach some level of ability, and then go....okay, now what other things do I want to try before I die (an event which should still be many decades away)? Even now I have my next activity already lined up in my head, so dance has 2, maybe 3 years max on its shelf life.

Some previous activities have found ways of inserting themselves back into my life, though not at their previous levels of commitment. I expect dance will be one of them because who wants to sit on the sidelines when there is music playing?
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

quilting???:D
  6. barn etto

barn etto New Member

I'm not that old yet!

I was thinking Brazilian Ju Jitsu. Something active I could do with future husband since he has decided he hates dance.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

do with.....or do TO!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    elliott likes this.
  8. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Lovely, just so lovely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!It's been the only nightmare I've had, losing something I love, losing something that makes me so happy. Not any more it isn't and, elliott, fairytales do come true!!!!!!!