Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Ray Rose Carmen Shoes - anyone had experience with these???

Hi Everyone,

Well I made a grave mistake recently. I decided to buy a pair of DANSport dance shoes, which fit me fine when I tried them on, but they aren't particularly comfy when dancing( not like my old Sylvias by Freed, which I broke in on day one...very comfy and fit my wide feet, but now I'm on the hunt for a shoe that's a little sexier). My feet are getting cut up at the heel, my toes - it's not a good thing.

After reading previous shoe posts, I decided to take a look at the Freed shoes yet again, but nothing really struck my fancy. I continued to check out the Ray Rose website and there they were :) The beautiful Carmen luxury latin shoes. These babies look unbelievably comfortable, the toe opening is pretty big, which is great thing for someone (like me) with wide feet. Before I impulse buy (yet again), I thought I would pose the question whether anyone has had previous experience with these shoes?

dance-shop.com/acatalog/Dance_Shop_Ray_Rose_Dance_Shoes_59.html

Secondly, I've always danced in 2.5" and the question is...is 1/2 an inch a big difference when dancing? I'm wondering whether it makes sense for me to start off in 3" heels to get used to the height or whether I should work on getting my steps and technique right in my 2.5".

Thanks everyone! x x x Becca
  2. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Ray Rose Latin Shoes - What are your experiences?

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about getting the Ray Rose Carmen Luxury Latin shoes. Does anyone own these shoes? I would love to get some feedback as to their fit and feel.
    To give you an idea of shoes I've previously woren: Walter Kern (v. uncomfortable), Diamant (comfy, but not as stable as I would have liked), Syvlia by Freed (loved these shoes as far as their comfort level goes, but want to try something new).

Thanks!

Becca
  3. Becca

Becca Active Member

My friend has them and says they are the best fitting, most comfortable shoe she's ever had. I haven't tried them myself so can't really comment, but I know my friend is thrilled with hers.
  4. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

I also have a friend with a pair of Ray Rose and she loves them. They seem like a very well made shoe.
  5. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

The only 'experience' I have with this brand of shoe is very second-hand...the dance shop here in town no longer carries these shoes because they say it takes too long for the company to fill the orders.
  6. kwa445

kwa445 New Member

I absolutely adore Ray Rose shoes. They're very comfortable and easy to dance in, plus they're very flexible, making it much easier to have nicely pointed toes.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

No personal experience, but my teacher's wife swears by them as the only shoes that are comfortable for her since she has high arches.
  8. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

I own Ray Rose Cyclones, and they are the most comfortable shoes I ever had, very stable but still soft in front. The cheapest I could find them is on backbaydancewear dot com.
  9. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

I own two pairs of Ray Rose shoes - Cyclone first and now Carmen. The front of my foot is fairly wide and I've found that these two styles are quite accommodating, particularly the Carmens. I also usually dance in 2.5" heels, but have found that for some reason, maybe heel placement, that these don't feel so high, so opted for 3" Carmens and love them. Flexibility in the shoes is good, so you can get a good point. Previously wore various Supadance styles, but for latin, think I'll stick with Ray Rose.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

has anybody found a reliable vendor for Ray Rose shoes? I heard the problem was getting the shoes....
  11. Medira

Medira New Member

I have a pair of Cyclones right now that I adore. I had tried the Carmens, but where the T-bar joins with the shoe across the ball of the foor, there was a pressure point that just wasn't comfortable for me. Then again, I have very odd feet, also with really high arches.
  12. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Thanks for everyone's input so far :)

@njdancegirl - what shoes have you previously woren apart from the Ray Roses? My feet are pretty wide and I have heard that the ray rose shoes are narrower than Freed and Supadance. Do you find that your stability is improved in dancing in the Carmens? Do they take time to break in? Do you feel more "forward" in them?

Previously I haven't danced in t-bars, but after reading the past threads on shoe styles and stablility, I figured I would give them a whirl, plus I think the Carmens are just the most gorgeous shoes out there ;). Stability for the most part has to do with YOU and not the shoes, however some CAN make it a little easier for you.

I'm usually a US8 because of my wide feet. I've previously woren UK 5s in Freed's Sylvia. There always seems to be about 1/2 inch left at the front of my shoes, so I'm thinking of going down a size to 4.5 and seeing whether I will feel a better connection with the floor....

Comments welcome :)
  13. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Here are the links I've found where you can purchase Ray Roses online:

http: //www.rayrose.com/

http: //www.dance-shop.com/rayrose.htm

http: //www.aidadancewear.com/default.htm

http: //www.backbaydancewear.com/

(paste in browser line and delete space after colon)

[moderated by latingal: deactivated links (not strictly meeting the guideline of a "commercial link" erred on the side of caution)]
  14. latingal

thank you for the sources Beccajelly, anybody know how reliable they are? Have heard availability is a problem.
  15. chica latina

chica latina New Member

Has someone used international and then these other ones? How do they compare in stability? narrow? flexibility?
  16. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I ordered Ray Rose shoes once. Took two months to get them. When they did come, it was not the size or the heel height I had ordered. There was a handwritten note in the box saying that they didn't have the ones I'd ordered - but they never contacted me, just sent a pair of shoes that I couldn't even get my foot into.

I couldn't wait two more months (or more, with processing) to get shoes since the ones I was dancing on were falling apart. I was so pissed off I didn't even want to deal with the company - just sold them cheap to a local dancer and resolved not to order their shoes again.
  17. latingal

I also knew a dancer who loved her Ray Rose shoes, but finally ended up switching to another brand because she could never find a reliable vendor for them (similar issues to delamusica when it came to shipping time and availability). So I've heard they're great shoes, but will not even try them on until I can be assured of a vendor that will be somewhat timely and the availability.
  18. Fouette

Fouette New Member

WorldTone Dance in New York (on 7th Ave. between 23rd and 24th) usually carries a good selection of Ray Rose shoes, and are good about stocking up on the more popular sizes and styles.
  19. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Worldtone doesn't happen to have an online shop do they for us dancers who live outside NYC? If you've got the link that would be fantastic and much appreciated by all us (dance) shoe addicts on here :)
  20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Beccajelly, posting the url is fine, but DF guidelines strictly prohibit the posting of active links to commercial interests (except in the events, webs, and ads forums). This policy is an important one for maintaining the information (vs. advertising) based tone of our community, so please respect this.