Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Sorry SDSalsaguy! I certainly didn't mean to break any rules here. The address of Worldtone's online shop (if there is such a thing) is really what I was after (I muddle words up sometimes...). I just want to find a reliable place to buy those Ray Rose Carmen Luxury Latin Shoes :). No hard feelings.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

No problem Beccajelly, just wanted to point out that (as per the DF Guidelines) providing such addresses is fine whereas posting active links is not, that's all.

3. Fouette

Fouette New Member

Beccajelly, you can just google the name "Worldtone dance", and the website will be the first result that pops up. You can definitely call them to place an order - they're very reliable when it comes to shipping. You may want to double-check if they carry Carmens - I know they carry Monsoon, Blizzard, and Cyclone, but I haven't personally asked for Carmen so I'm not sure.

4. Beccajelly

Beccajelly New Member

Excellent stuff! Thanks for the helpful info Fouette. It actually hadn't occurred to me to give them a call to place an order :). My new Carmens may be closer than I think...lol.

5. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

So I'm gathering that Ray Rose shoes are good for people with high arches. Anyone with low arches like them?

6. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Beccajelly, I've worn Supadance mostly, plus a few pairs of Capezio when I first started dancing. I found most of the Ray Rose shoes too narrow for me except Cyclone and Carmen. Stability is great and I've only had them about 2 weeks, but they required very little break in time. I too wear a US size 8 and bought a Ray Rose size 5 - foot is right up to the end.

I purchased both of mine at Worldtone in the store, but you can call and order from them - done that in the past as well. I've had friends order Ray Rose from Backbay Dance in Massachusetts (online) with great success and good prices.

Best of luck in your shoe search...would definitely recommend the brand and the style though!

7. Nik

Nik Member

I had a pair of Ray Rose latin shoes and loved them. Then I discovered Aida and love these much more.

They have very similar shoes but the Rays are a little softer.

8. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I am very curious while you are all on the subject of shoes, if anyone has feedback about the Stephanie professional line. I see some advertising on them but don't know of anyone who has actually used them. I have talked to the people at Stephanie, and they talk them up, so I don't know.
    I see a lot of casual dancing women who wear Stephanies and don't know if it is a comfort thing or not.
    Can anyone offer any feedback?

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

A friend of mine, beginnning/adv. beginning level latin dancer bought a pair of Stephanie's and my off the cuff assessment of the shoes was the shank was too soft and did not offer her enough support. They wore out very quickly. Again, I did not try them myself, but can only offer what I saw based on her situation.

10. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the professional line is any better. The saleman had a good line but he was definitely a salesman's salesman. Supadance Internatiional and Freed don't cut it for everyone. You either love them or hate them. I'll keep asking.
    B

11. latingal

Ah, sorry....didn't realize they also had a "professional" line. Hope somebody will be able to offer some feedback. Though in my own mind, I would have questions about a company that sells a flimsy shoe at any price....but that could be my own bias. Maybe some prefer a soft shank?

12. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

One thing too keep in mind here is that there is not one shoe that is ideal for all levels... the same shoe that may have been too soft (and thus not offered enough support to a beginner) may be the same item that allows the flexibility appreciated by a seasoned competitor (who has developed far greater foot strength along the way).

13. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

That's a really good point. What I do hear though is, as far as women go, there are a lot of bandaids being used. In my mind that tells me there are a lot of shoes that aren't really doing what they should be doing, or maybe I am just very naiive.

14. latingal

Well, as far as the shank issue goes, the 3/4 steel shank used in latin sandals gives my mid foot support and seems to take some of the pressure off the metatarsals - and that may have more to do with the structure of the foot rather than the level of the dancer.

In my case, I have very strong feet from ballet and I appreciate flexibility in the forefoot/toe area of the shoe so I can point my foot, but I want a strong shank to support my flat arches and metatarsals.

But again, this is only my experience...some dancers out there may have feet made for heels and don't need alot of support.

As far as the bandaids go, the break in period for the shoes is he**.

15. LaLoona

LaLoona New Member

Nik was saying that Aida shoes are better than Ray Rose shoes. Has anybody tried their Latin Women's shoes? Are they good?

16. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

As though we are ever NOT on the subject of shoes. :)

17. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I love waking up to a little tongue in cheek humor. Actually, nowadays I guess I just really like even waking up!!

As far as the shank, I have International "Tango, as well as the "Spanish Tango". The main difference I see? Spanish no steel shank, totally flexible between heel and toe pad. Tango; solid shank.
    I have professionals who love the Tango, others who don't care for them.
    When I watch many males competetros on the floor, I can see the they msut be wearing a shoe with a flexible bottom, as can see the way they flex/point their foot.

18. latingal

Hate to keep beating a dead horse, but....

Perhaps it might be a tad easier to work in a flexible bottomed shoe if the heel was somewhat lower than three inches and somewhat wider than the ladies heels?

19. chachabelle

chachabelle New Member

I absolutely love Ray Rose shoes. They are absolutely the most narrow shoes I've found, comfortable and very flexible. But so hard to find. Would buy more if I could find them. My second fave would have to be Int.'s Melissa's - not quite as narrow. Actually, I have more trouble finding smooth shoes that are narrow enough, absolutely must have some sort of strap, but I don't like the look of a strap on my court shoes. Any ideas? Thanks.

20. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Me, too, Latingal. So what is your favorite Latin sandal these days?