Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

YEAY Slim heel love is spreading :D

And for your info, I got the shoes on www.dance-shop.com

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I got some Ray Rose shoes today (ordered directly from the site---they came *fast*). No where around here sells Ray Rose. I'm currently dancing in Dance Naturals (that i love) for rhythm, and some Diamante shoes for smooth that i hate. They're too pointy in the toe in spite of getting them wide. Hurts. I have big bunions and wide feet. LOL. Once I break in my DN i really like them and they've been the best so far out of many brands that i've tried. But, after having one pair stolen out of my car, and the second pair eaten by my dogs all in the same month, i went for the Ray Rose for both rhythm and smooth.

I'm so excited to practice in them later tonight. I just tried on the Carmen 3, (the deciding factors is the wider/square toe box and then no T strap). The 2.5 inch heel feels deceivingly low. The shoe has already so much more flexibility (brand new) for foot articulation than my DN. I feel like i have a whole pile of toes coming out the front even though the fit is good (purely an aesthetic thing....then again i think my feet are ugly).

I feel conflicted...like i'm cheating on Dance Natural. LOL ...like i'm afraid to like these shoes more hahaha.

I do love the slim heel though and am considering ordering the drizzle but it looks like the toe shape isn't quite as square and i'm worried about just the comfort issue for my bunions/wider toes.

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Let us know how it goes Miss Silly! I've worn RR for 4 or so years now, and I have found no better for me.

As for the Drizzle, yea - that has the round toe shape which normally I stay away from to give my toes more room to relax and work with the floor.

4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I see that the Kalahari was available with that square toe and in a slim heel so i splurged and ordered it ;-P

I danced a bit (just practicing by myself in my gym's fitness studio) last night and this morning to test drive the shoes.

For smooth, i got the Landslide. OMG why didn't i buy these a long time ago? The feel like heaven on my feet compared to the Diamante ones. The width is perfect and the less-pointy toe is soooo much more comfortable. The heel position on this shoe is WAY more stable as well. Love them.

For rhythm, I went with the Carmen 3's. The flexibility in the shoe is soooo nice. I'm really enjoying that. The thing i'm struggling with (becuase it feels SO different) is that I have all these toes hanging out. LOL. It seems to me the fit is pretty good, but i also feel like i'm dancing with platypus feet, cause my toes and ball of my foot is pancaked more to the floor (did that make sense? haha). This just makes it all feel different. And i've been dancing in the same model of Dance Naturals for a couple years so i'm not sure if it's just weird cause it feels so different? Having my toes more pancaked seems to put less pressure on my foot (bunions) overall so even though i'm breaking them in, i think the comfort level for longer-wear will be much better. I've been mostly a social/pleasure dancer so i've never focused a lot on super-awesome foot technique until now (now that i want to do some lower-level competition and improve my showcase quality). Now that i'm becoming obsessed with beautiful feet & ankle work, it has me thinking.... is it a good thing to feel like my feet are "spread" more on the floor? I feel conflicted! LOL

I do prefer a slim heel instead of flared so i'm eager to try the kalahari :)

5. latingal

Actually Miss Silly, I had a podiatrist tell me that my latin sandals were probably the best type of heel I could wear if I absolutely had to wear heels for dancing (with bunions).

She was commenting on the fact that the bunion area was not restricted by the rigid or firm material of a closed toe shoe (such as a court shoe), but instead was allowed to move around a bit and had less pressure on the area since it was held by softer open straps. The Carmen 3 model has more restrictive material around the bunion area then the Kalahari's, it'll be interesting which you prefer given the stability vs. bunion comfort trade offs.

In my experience, I cannot use my foot correctly if my fore foot and toes are squished and cannot relax into and use the floor fully. It's going to impact my stability and power if I cannot use my fore foot correctly. So even though my foot may not look as good in a square toe vs. the smaller round toe, I compensate with the look of the slim heel and knowing how to hold my feet, ankles and legs to create the illusion of "good feet". It's important to me to be able to dance WELL and beautifully.

(though I must admit - being born with great feet would have been nice, LOL! It would have been less work!)

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thanks LG.... this is what i was wondering. Like if my technique would ultimately be better having more foot-to-the-floor. And i can't tell if it feels odd simply because i've been wearing the same style of shoe for a long time. I also am new to learning better foot technique so it all feels so new! ;-P

Aesthetics of course are great LOL but skill and the 'longevity' of my feet happiness is also pretty important HAHA. Yeah my feet feel like a mess. I have to admit it's relieving to know that most dancers go through this too, and it's not just cause i have extra-uncooperative feet ;-P

I'm definitely eager to try the kalahari to compare. Either way all these shoes are still great to dance it so i'll get use out of them regardless. Unless my dog keeps eating them...

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

one of the highest level latin coaches I have ever had highly endorsed the idea that the toes should be flat and spread out....

8. latingal

Agreed, my experience has been the same. I have seen some people who have squashed the day lights out of their feet in their latin shoes, I have to admit to wondering how they are managing to stand on those feet much less be grounded on them. *grin*

9. Jananananana

sounds very accurate and yoga to me

10. Jananananana

I LOVE my kalaharis so far.
    Luckily, my dog doesn't eat shoes. He nibbles on socks though...weirdo.

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

+1 for being in luuurrrrvvvv with kalaharis

12. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Now I'm torn...trying to decide between the Carmens and the Kalahari's for my next pair of competition shoes. Any thoughts on the Carmen T-strap vs. wrap around straps? It's probably been covered in this thread already, but given the three options (Carmen t-strap, Carmen wrap-strap, or Kalahari), which should I go with? Either way, it will be a 3-inch (probably flared) heel. I'm currently in the Gobi (I think) and they're pinching the heck out of my toes, but I do like the flexibility and balance.

13. Jananananana

If you are in the Gobi, you're not alone. That one pinched my toes, too. I went through a Mojave phase (which I loved!)
    Recently, I've been dancing in slim heeled Kalaharis and love them. They're still being broken in (for some reason they seem tighter than normal...)

I've never tried the Carmen, but the Mojave is similar and I liked it. I'm a bigger fan of wrap around because I feel the T-strap does nothing to keep my foot in place.

14. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i also prefer wrap around because i feel the t-strap restricts me in pointing my toes...

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I think t-strap comes down to a personal preference (likely dictated by your foot & arch shape)? Personally i'm not a T-strapper either.

16. latingal

I have worn both the Carmen (t-strap) and the Kalaharis. Between the two, personally I like the Kalaharis. Though the Carmens were more stable (it's like wearing a self righting shoe if you ask me), there is less flexibility to point my foot and for me it was restrictive.

My shoe of choice was the Kalaharis for a long time. However, I'm now wearing custom pairs of Moonglow's (ordered with M+ width) - I like the look of this shoe on my foot better for the comp floor. The comfort is the same as the Kalaharis.

17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

WOA nelly. I got in my kalaharis and dang. It's a nice shoe. It's extremely supple and i much prefer the slim heel. Overall i prefer this shoe over the Carmen.

I've been dancing a long time in Dance Naturals style no 4x (which is probably the most supported shoe out there hahah) so the transition to the Kalahari will take time. After only 20 min of dancing in the Kalaharis, my feet muscles were very tired LOL. But i admit i was pretty blown away!

18. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

Well, I took a chance and ordered the Carmens with the wrap around strap a few days ago - wanted a different look, and the Kalahari's were a little too close to what I already had. Plus, I've been wanting to try the Carmens for a while. They were shipped today...so excited!!

Depending on how this one goes, the Kalaharis are next on the list when it's time for a new pair.

19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm currently dancing in my Kalaharis now and I really love them (i am a sucker for a slim heel!). I love the look and the feel. I am having to make and adjustment from what i previously was wearing which was Dance naturals 4x, which is probably one of the most "stable" shoes out there LOL. I still love my DN's but while the front part that fit my foot nicely, i found that there is little flexibility in this shoe when it comes to foot articulation (although sometimes the extra sturdiness has come in handy during uh, practice parties LOL). It's a trade off i guess LOL more shoe flexibility means that i need better balance and foot control----which i really need to start working on anyway and stop using stable shoes as a crutch hahahah ;-P

20. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

BOOOOO my love affair with the kalaharis is now over. I dance in those shoes, say, 10-12 hours a week and after like, 4 weeks or so, they are sliding all over my foot. I guess they are over stretched already? I'm sad. I'm thinking about putting in all sorts of inserts to make them fit tight again so i get some more use out of them.