Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Miss Silly, how did they fit when you first purchased them? Do you need to go down half a size? Or perhaps switch to a model with the rounded toe rather than the square?

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

They fit really good at first. They were slightly snug but did not feel like i had to really break them in at all (compared to my old DN 4x which seemed to take a long time LOL). I find the Kalaharis fit me better than the Carmens actually (kalahari having slightly less square toe than the carmens). Then it seemed that somewhat suddenly all last week my feet were just sliding all over in them, and it's driving me bananas now that i went back to my old shoe. I find the sliding occurs at both ends; the heel moves around in the heel cup, and the ball of my foot moves around in the toe box area. Hrmmm. But i like the length of them.

I think i'm going to hold out till next weekend when i'm visiting in NYC and can hit up some places to actually try on shoes before buying (i'm very eager to try on a pair of aidas). Although the kalaharis were still "good" aside from the slipping.

3. latingal

Are you wearing the strap around the arch or the ankle? If you're wearing it around the ankle, I prefer to use the arch wrap with the Kalaharis (and it keeps the foot from sliding in the shoe).

4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm wearing them around the arch. I never used to but once i switched, now anything around the ankle feels like it's choking my leg LOL and at one point the shoe was stable, unfortunately now it's all loosy-goosy no matter how tight i crank those straps :-(

5. latingal

sounds like if you want to stay with the Kalaharis you'll need to look at going down at least a half size?

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Well i'm willing to try! LOL they are quite a nice shoe.

7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

See, I keep hearing how awesome Ray Rose are - and I keep hearing how they wear out quick. Which is what's kept my from trying them out so far...

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Yeah exactly. My current plan is to try a pair of Aida's (hot on my list of to-try LOL) before going back to a smaller-sized Kalahari (even though i really liked them). They are a fab shoe---but if the smaller sized one still ends up becoming over stretched, i really can't be replacing them every month LOL.

9. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

So my latin shoe broke during my lesson last night. Womp womp womp. Which means I get to buy a new one without feeling guilty! Went through the whole thread at work today while waiting for subjects! I would really like to try Ray Rose, but I am concern about the wear issue. I dance about 15 hours/week and would require them to last for 6-8 months. I'd love to try the cloudburst model- sort of like the blizzard with thte extra strap. It looks very stable. Does anybody have experience with the durability of this shoe?
    Also, I went on the Ray rose site but couldn't find which shoes had leather reinforced straps and which didn't. After reading this thread, it sounds like cirrius and meteor are reinforced? Does anybody have any experience with these shoes? Would they last longer than the cloudburst?
    Thanks for the help!

10. tanzwelt

tanzwelt New Member

As the US Importer of Ray Rose I do suggest you should go down at least half a size if not a full size. An open toe shoe should be uncomfortably tight to begin with, not just snug. As the shoe stretches your foot will slide forward leaving your support lacking. Please attempt to go down in size!

11. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I know the Gobis and the Carmens have leather reinforced straps, since I've bought both. The Carmens are new, so I can't speak to how long they will last...but my first pair of Gobis are now my practice shoes, after the satin got a bit too worn for competition and the shoe became available in a lighter color (important for my pasty skin) so I upgraded a bit early, and they've lasted me almost a year - probably 6 months as my primary competition/lesson shoes (minimal wear, maybe 4-5 hours/week), and another 5-6 as practice shoes (much more wear). No issues with the straps or the soles, just with the heel tips and wear on the satin.

I will say that compared to other shoe brands I have tried (Very Fine and Supadance) I have not found the Ray Rose to wear out any faster. Maybe it's the style, but no issues here.

12. llamasarefuzzy

Thanks for the help, GGRhinestones!
    Do you (or anyone else ) happen to know how the sizing runs?
    I wear a size 6 RR court shoe (bora) and will be ordering the gobi (what an attractive shoe!) Should I order a 6 or a 5.5?

13. latingal

I dance about 15-20 hours a week and my RR shoes last me about 6-8 weeks. However, I change shoes when the shank/forefoot area gets too flexible to provide enough support to my feet. I know other gals who will wear them until they totally are worn out, and of course the shoes will "last" longer for them.

In general any model that has knots in the straps are going to be unreinforced and will most likely contain the following verbage in the description of the shoe:

"The unique stripping itself is constructed using a 'Fourfold' system, which combines strength with softness without requiring an additional lining."

You can also look at the picture of the shoe and usually tell if it has a leather reinforcement (the leather used is usually a very light tan color so it's easy to see on the back part of the dark tan color versions of the shoe on the underside of the forefoot straps).

14. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how their latin sizes compare to their court shoe sizes, since I've never tried their court shoes. But I wear a 7.5-8 American street shoe, and consistently fit into a 5 RR latin shoe. It's TIGHT at first (perfect length, very tight width - I couldn't initially even get my new Carmens on my feet until I stretched them a bit, but now they're fine), but a 5.5 would definitely be too big once they were broken in.

15. llamasarefuzzy

Thanks! I ordered a 6 just because it was a tight fit in the court shoe (I wear an 8.5 or 9 street shoe) to begin with . The place I ordered from had a good return policy, so I can always send them back if they are too large.
    Speaking of the place I ordered from www. danceshop. com had really good deals on the RR shoes. I got the Gobis for $105 +10 shipping... its the best deal I found- significantly cheaper than alot of the other websites, if anyone is interested!

16. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Slightly off-topic, but I am so glad to hear that there is someone else who can't stand when the shank no longer provides enough support. I have very sweaty feet and my shoes can soften so quickly. As you might expect, it's the summer months that are the worst.

I use Summer Soles to keep my shoes from absorbing too much sweat and this helps them stay supportive just a little longer. I rotate 2 pairs of shoes and use a space heater on them, too. But I still generally have to change shoes before the satin wears off.

17. latingal

Yep, at the very most my shoes last two months of 20 hours of practice a week if I want to protect my feet from extra wear and tear by making sure I have adequate support from the shank.

I guess to some that may seem like the shoes wear out quickly if you look at the number of weeks between changing pairs. But my guess is most people who don't dance seriously as ams or pros probably do 10 hours or less per week in their shoes, so all else equal they'd probably get about 4 months out of a pair.

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

For me, I try to make shoes last as long as they can because I happen to be a poor college student. I wish I had the income to pay for new shoes every 2 months but I really can only pay for 2 shoes a year, which usually means replacing both my latin and standard shoes in a year :(

19. tanzwelt

tanzwelt New Member

Our suggestion would be a British 5.5 in a Latin sandal if your closed toe shoes are 6

20. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thank you. I will likely try this (thanks for the warning about being 'uncomfortably tight' to begin with LOL! i'm realizing that i need to "start fit" to be this way).