Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I already ordered the 6, but will keep in mind it should be "uncomfortably tight" at first and exchange if necessary.

Welcome to DF!

2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that the Blizzard and Drizzle seem to only come in the Ultra-flex now? I was interested in both but I'm not quite at the level that I need a super super flexible shoe. I'd rather they last longer on my budget :)

3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Wow, thanks for the heads up....I'm not sure I like this development.

I haven't tried the flex shoes because my shoes get more than flexible enough by the third or so week. I hope this doesn't spread to the rest of the models....If this change effects the support given to the foot (or length of time they'll last - 2 months is short enough), for me this would not be a good thing.

4. latingal

Believe me stash, if I could get away with using the shoes longer I would....right now it's usually a choice between shoes that support my feet and nice little extras - like groceries....(well it's not quite that bad, but sometimes it sure feels that way *grin*).

5. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I think some sites are still carrying the original, non-flex...not really sure.

6. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Me neither! Thanks, just ordered some more non-flex.

7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

I've tried the Super Flex before, and I actually really liked them - I have not noticed the shoes wearing out any faster, but they did break in much easier.

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

That's interesting to know about the super-lfex vs the regular.

On a random note---i forgot to talk about my pair of landslides.... probably cause i don't practice smooth as much as i should HAHA. But i still very, very much love this shoe (the rounder toe shape is a lot better for me). I'm wearing a size 6.5 in them, and i possibly can go to a 6 now that they're nicely worn in, however my foot doesn't slide around too much and the court-style shoes seem less forgiving for when your feet get swollen LOL. So i'm still quite happy with the size & fit. But i think i might go so far as to try a 5.5 size now in the kalahari, and see how that goes once they stretch in.

9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Updating my shoe saga :)

I bought a new pair of kalahari, this time in a 5.5. I bought them from a store in NYC while i was visiting my sister (i dont live near a store that carries them). So down a full size---they started off "uncomfortably tight" (LOL) and now are feeling *prefect*. The shorter length was a bit of a difference, but getting used to the little minor bit of toe spillage wasn't a big deal. I actually found that the balance of the shoe--being a little shorter and more compact because of a smaller size---was actually easier to dance in. This pair is a 3" slim heel (which i love).

Since they were feeling fabulous, i'd like to save them as comp shoes. I bought a second pair of kalahari from the Ray Rose website. They only had ultra-flex in slim heel kalahari so i got the 3.2" slim heel ultra flex. I put them on last night and woa nelly! I was soooo wobbly. I've danced in as high as 3.5" with much better balance (although it pinches in the back of my ankle...they look gorgeous on my feet but it's not *necessary* hahah especially with the ankle situation, so i stick with 3" now), so i'm thinking, what the heck?

I compare the two heels and the 3.2 heel bottom is slightly smaller than the 3" heel bottom. I think, that must be it? But then it hit me---is it the ultra-flex that makes me feel so wobbly? I looked at the Ray Rose website and it looks like they don't currently carry the 'regular' slim heel kalahari.

I've never tried the ultra flex before. Is this normal? I'm not sure i like it... but is it going to be my only option and they are fazing out the regular flex slim heel kalahari?

10. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Well, I posted my disappointment on RR's Facebook page, and got this response:

"Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed. We have create the new ultra-flex sole based on the suggestions provided by top dancers and coaches, always trying to improve our shoes to help dancers to achieve the best performance.We have had positive reviews of the Ultra-flex sole however not all the feet are the same and some models fits and support better than other based on that. I suggest you trying the 820 in traditional sole. In Ray Rose we really apreciate your feedback and we will consider your opinion for future improvements on the shoe."

Unfortunately, the 820 (Blizzard) shoes don't work for me - my pinky toe escapes between the forefoot straps, resulting in too much play in the heel. If my extremely narrow heels aren't held tightly in the shoe, I get heel pain. Only the Blizzards and the Drizzles come with the contour heel, which is the only heel shape that works for me, but it now seems that the Blizzards and Drizzles only come with Ultra-Flex sole. I stocked up on five pairs without the Ultra-Flex, but now I'm not sure what I'll do when they wear out. Sigh.

Please let Ray Rose know what you think!

11. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

UUGGGH so frustrating!

I have the same issue with the straps and the pinkie to escaping (which i hate). I also know that a contoured heel won't work for me (which eliminates some options as well for non-flex) as well as my love for a slim heel. BOOOO.

I just posted on their facebook page as well.

12. raindance

raindance Active Member

Does Ray Rose do any custom orders? Some shoe companies (e.g. Supadance and others) do that - so I'm wondering if you could get the specifications you want with a custom order from Ray Rose???

13. latingal

Yes, RR does custom orders (my shoes are custom with them). I believe the rule is you must order three pairs at a time when you do.

14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Well i would be happy with the custom-order option (i suppose ordering 3 at a time would just save me from having to buy shoes for a while ;-P).

15. paintanker

paintanker Member

Their sales team says this:

We have in the past accepted custom orders for shoes with fittings and heels that are normally only offered on other models. However we are unfortunately no longer in a position to do so.

16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Sigh. Up. The email response i got was the same:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your e-mail. All Kalahari 860s are indeed now being produced in Ultra-Flex. Unfortunately, whilst we have offered to produce custom orders in the past, we are no longer able to do so. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I am sorry that we cannot help you further.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Kind Regards[/FONT]

17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

i wonder why that is. (obviously something about not being able to afford to do so but i would be curious from a business stand point)

18. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Sambagirl, I have trouble with my pinky toe escaping in any strappy shoe. I wasn't able to get any non-stappy shoe to fit right....I finally took my stappy shoes to a shoemaker who sews a very thin piece of leather between the straps where my toe is escaping. It was my last resort and it worked. I have done this to at least 5 pairs of shoes now with good results, for what it's worth...

19. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I'll tell you why.... here is my interpretation of their letter:

Dear So-and-So-Awesome-Dancer,
    We are currently skimping on quality and having all shoes mass produced to the point that it would significantly take away from our profit if we took any custom orders. We did that in the past, and built a loyal customer base - including you So-and-So-Awesome-Dancer. However, now that we have this customer base we decided it was time to pull the rug from under them. We switched the heel caps from rubber to plastic (because it's cheaper!) and now refuse to take custom orders (again because it's cheaper!!) So, the quality you were used to is no longer there. You would think this is all bad news, however, we know how important it is to you to purchase shoes that cost $150+, so we decided to keep prices the same and even raise the price on some models to make you believe you're getting more for your buck.
    Much love, RR

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I would guess that they get so few custom orders that it's just not cost-effective to do them. If they're only doing the one sole style, they'd need to now buy other materials instead of building customs from their regular stock, meaning they'd have to raise the price even more. Custom shoes don't seem to be the norm in general, for some reason (in skating it's the opposite, few people can get well into the test/comp stream without needing some sort of boot modifications--I need split widths and cutdowns for more ankle flex and THERE is something I'd kill for in a dance shoe, split widths...)

And I finally tried a Ray Rose shoe, but frankly, the attitude of the sales rep (clearly she wrote me off when I told her the size I needed and width and never even bothered to check if they fit or I wanted to try another style) was off-putting and, indeed, they were way too tight. Tried another brand that was much more helpful, but still wasn't finding anything that wasn't agonizing in the ball or arch. Guess I'm sticking with Supadance...now if only THEY'D make a court shoe with a softer sole.