Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Seems like penny-pinching is the case everywhere, IDS used to resole my Killicks, but in Blackpool last weekend they offered to sell me the suede for the same price as the resole. If they RR drop the quality on Bryans, perhaps it's time to take the plunge and properly jump ship to Aida. :D
  2. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I had a heel just snap off a brand new pair of RR shoes and they refused to acknowledge it as a faulty product. They asked me if I wore them, and then because they were used, refused to take them back. Obviously, I wore them (once...) and the heel snapped!
  3. twothreefourone

Oooooh, that's annoying... Sorry to hear that Jananananana :( They wouldn't even inspect them? Paying for quality shoes doesn't feel so bad because they perform, but to have them break on their maiden voyage and get no further support seems harsh.
  4. Jananananana

Yea, I wasn't too happy, but we got the heel nailed back at a cobbler's
  5. twothreefourone

6. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Well...
    Around here never heard anything about it...at least at the school where I dance. Girls here are pleased with RR shoes.
    I am trying RR now...not very stable but just using them for the second time.
  7. XL_PT

XL_PT Member

Aida? The Russian Ones? That would be a dream! :D
  8. Jananananana

Heels snapping happens all the time (ok, frequently enough) with plenty of brands but what I was disappointed with was their customer service.
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  9. Jananananana

As a side note, I used to wear Supadance, and then about 6 years ago they changed the fit on the 1413 or whatever the shoe was, so I switched to Dance Naturals and something else, and then RR. I've worn RR ever since. I think I've gone through 14-15 pairs at this point??? So I love their shoes, the company not so much....
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard that their quality and supply problems have been resolved, about a year or two ago a friend ordered three pairs of the same size, and two of them were significantly different in their fit/size....
  11. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Kind of interesting Jana, RR is the only brand that I have seen the heel actually snap (not the hard plastic tip). Is that what happened to you? The girl was dancing at Super Shag in Waltham. She was pretty small (size,weight) and I was pretty surprised. The problem seems to be the placement of the heel on RR not a defect with the material. Hit the wrong angle and it takes too much stress. We finally started carrying RR about two years ago because so many women are "forever in love" with them. As a second party it is hard for us to absorb these problems as the mfr. will not warranty them. I hope the supplier at least offered you a long discount on them.
  12. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I noticed you resole shoes. I did that once with a pair of my split sole latins. I had them done at my local repair shop (I am a dance shoe retailer and use only one cobbler). The shoes were never the same again. The problem is the shoe itself actually stretches and even if you resole them they actually no longer fit your foot. You may save money but your dancing can be affected
  13. twothreefourone

Going into a studio is like coming home and putting on a pair of comfy slippers, my Killicks. :) I've had them so long, they're soft and flexible and I'm quite attached to them! I went a size down and stretched them out to my feet, so dancing in them feels like wearing socks with cuban heels. I know what you mean though; it will be a sad day when they need to be retired.

My long term plan is to rotate between three identical pairs, 2 for practice and 1 for competitions/shows... but this shiny pair of patent RR Bryans has wormed its way into the Killick mix :p
  14. A couple of questions to all ladies latin RR wearers to help me choose my next pair of shoes!

I only dance for 1 - 2 hours per week, and I was happy with the fit of my medium fit Drizzles, which I made last about 8 months. I moved on to medium fit Gobis and have found them a bit looser than I would like around the forefoot. For my next pair I was liking the look of the Moonglows or Kalaharis, but I'm worried that because they have the square toes I will find them even looser than the Gobis?

I can see a lot of people here saying to take a size or half size down from your street size for RR shoes. Up to now I have had my RRs in the same size as my street shoes (UK 7). I thought that, as I had been fine in the Drizzles, I didn't need to go down a size as I dance fewer hours than most folks on this board. Also, the length of the 7s is perfect. But maybe going down half a size would solve my loose width fit problem I had with the Gobis, and mean that I would be ok in the square toe shoes?

Does the width reduce with size, or stay the same, just the shoe gets shorter?

Thanks!

PS, I'd prefer to avoid toe spillage!
  15. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

If the Gobis were too wide on your forefoot, the Kalaharis and moonglow will definitely not fit. They are just wider model shoes.

WRT to the shoe size, they are suppose to be smaller than what you normally wear because it will create the proper feel for the floor, not necessarily because of hours danced in them. I dance only 3 hrs/week but I would not be able to dance properly if the shoes weren't small. And you should WANT toe spillage for the same reason you want the shoes to be too small. So I would suggest going with a smaller size.
  16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I've switched to sizing down with my kalaharis and i much prefer it as well. Because the length of the shoe is smaller, i noticed a definite balance difference because of where the heel ends up being it feels more compact (not sure a better way to describe it but i like it so much better). The straps are crazy tight to start but loosen enough after about 3-4 wears to a "just right" fit. I had to get used to toe spillage too---which i previously hated--- but now i can't imagine dancing in the size i used to wear.
  17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Just curious if anyone has tried the "pro sport" range yet? I'm wondering how it feels different.
  18. Miss Silly - Did you go down a whole size or half (are you talking in US sizes?).

How much 'spillage' would you say is correct? I have seen pictures/vids of women dancing with what looks like all their toes on the floor, which I think a) looks ridiculous and b) uncomfortable. Surely it must hurt doing figures like spirals etc with your toes on the floor?

When I see pro dancers on Strictly (UK DWTS), or footage of Yulia or Joanna on Youtube, they don't seem to have their toes falling off the front of their shoes?
  19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I wear a street shoe size (american size) of around 8.5 so i started dancing in the Kalahari & Carmen 6.5 (and Monsoon for standard). My personal preference was the Kalahari so as I wore them more, the toe straps became overly stretched. The length was just right by normal standards but the shoe would slide all over my foot and i felt it was becoming unsafe. Someone earlier on this thread suggested to me going a whole size down and i had all the same concerns about toe spillage LOL! Now i get a size 5.5, so yes i went down an entire size. And those straps are a b*tch the first few times cause they're uncomfortably tight. You might want to try the trick where you put water in a ziplock baggie stuffed in the front of your shoes and then overnight in the freezer, which will stretch them out some (i have wide feet). But usually like i said, only about 4 practices or lessons in them and they're stretched out to a great fit.

I should take some pics of my feet and post them (gah! I'll need to fix my toenails LOL they're always a hot mess). I dont' have the mega toe spillage that i have seen some women have (i agree---it does look out of control LOL), but i do have a bit. Then you point the foot, the shoe becomes longer as your foot curls inside of it....this makes it difficult to aesthetically get that pointed-foot look if you have a lot of shoe sticking out past your toe. I've actually also tripped myself when this extra shoe end gets folded under your foot (i'm certain others here have experienced somethign similar!).

I've had a few moments of floor-burn feeling on my toes but overall i think your skin toughens up, since i haven't really noticed this at all lately.

I'll admit it did feel weird at first but now i like it sooooo much better.

I don't really know if there is a "correct" amount of spillage as i'm guessing it's a matter of personal preference. Going down one entire size in ray rose didn't feel like i went from no-spillage to excessive-spillage. I landed nicely in between :)
  20. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Speaking of skin toughening up, when I did latin, my feet were just foul... The calluses on my toes were like something from nightmares.