Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Riva!

I also wear a US size 6.5 or 7, and I wear a size 3.5 in Ray Rose....though your foot structure can influence how the shoes fit. You may want to go to a comp that has a vendor or a store that sells RR to try the sizing. Or order your first pair from somewhere online that allows you to try them on and return them if they don't fit.
  2. latingal

evar as noted above, you can try to order online at a store that allows you to return the shoe if it hasn't been worn/damaged and doesn't fit.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Sounds right to me. I'm about a 3 or a 3.5 depending on a shoe type. Latin I tend to go smaller so a 3.
  4. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I am a 7.5 US street shoe and wear a 4.5 UK RR latin show. 2 sizes down for british conversion, and an extra size down for fit. I wear a 5.5 UK RR standard shoe as I don't have to size down in the standard shoes for them to fit right.

Interestingly, their smooth shoes seem to be sized similar to latin shoes, and not standard shoes.
  5. sunnydays

sunnydays New Member

How does ray rose compare to supadance? Are they more comfortable? More flexible? More stability?
  6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

IMO, yes to all of the above. But different shoes work for different people. The biggest difference to me is in stability and comfort of fit.
  7. evar

evar New Member

So my shoes finally arrived and they are just beautiful! I tried moving around a little bit and they feel fine. However my feet don't feel tight when I put them on like several people suggested. Should I exchange for half a size smaller or just stay with it?
  8. TinyDancer109

exchange

the "good" fitting pair of shoes in this video are RR... you can see what they should fit like at 5:30

9. latingal

Where don't they feel tight? I like a little more room in the forefoot so I can relax the ball of my foot in to the ground, I don't want the forefoot straps crushing the front of my foot (though some people seem to like that - go figure). I would say that the body of my shoe actually fits fairly comfortably, and I use the "ankle" strap around my arch to hold the shoe on quite snugly.

If the heel can wobble around independently of action of my foot, then I will feel the shoes are too loose.
  10. Solafide

Solafide New Member

Hi Everyone!
    I am looking to buy my first pair of Ray Rose. Here are the idiosyncrasies of my feet: HIGH arches, narrow heel, WIDE forefront (short toes, almost all in a line). My foot has been described as being like a triangle. So...does anyone have RR shoe suggestions for my overly odd feet?!

My current shoe is an Eckse, and my arch does not even make contact with the shoe at all. I feel very unstable in them and like my ankles are going to roll out at any moment. This is also due to the fact that the heel cup is too wide and my heel slides around like crazy. They kill my feet and my back, which is why I would like to try something from RR. I heard they are good for high arches and actually provide support.

Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance for your input!! ;)
  11. TinyDancer109

I suppose the only ones I have tried that might meet your standards are the Kalaharis (my personal choice) or Moonglow.
  12. TinyDancer109

13. Solafide

Solafide New Member

Thank you TinyDancer! I have also put in an inquiry to RR to see what they recommend. It kinda stinks having weird feet...but I appreciate this forum and the personal experience that so many of you are able to provide! You all know what you are talking about.
  14. latingal

Solafide, any RR model that can be purchased in an M+ width might work for you and any square toed sole you could try to see if they work for you.

I have a wide forefoot also, and I have worn; Carmen, Gobi and Kalahari to good effect.

I currently wear a custom model with the M+ width and a slim heel that I special order. Special orders you must order 12 pairs at a time.
  15. Solafide

Solafide New Member

Thanks Latingal! Do any of the 3 you listed above have a narrower heel cup in your opinion? I will check out the M+ width option...thanks!
  16. latingal

Not sure about a narrower heel cup. I'm not sure if my heel is narrow or not.

Of the three models these were my observations;

Carmen - built like little tanks. I affectionately called them my "self righting shoes". I did not stay with this model because the t-strap inhibited my ability to point my foot. However, they now have a Carmen 3 model that does not have the t-strap. I have not tried it.

Gobi - I liked this shoe, but the straps across the toes tended to cut into the top of my toes. I could have worked with this by taping when breaking in the shoes, but then the Kalaharis came out.

Kalahari - these were my go to shoes until I switched down from a 3" flare heel to a 2.5" slim heel. I liked the square shaped toe box to accommodate my wider forefoot in the M+. They were comfortable and sturdy and well balanced.

I now wear a custom Moonglow in M+ with a slim heel. The special order quantity is onerous, so most do not go with a custom shoe.
  17. Solafide

Solafide New Member

Thank you Latingal! At this point I am thinking the Carmen 3 or Kalahari. I definitely need well balanced/secure shoes! Hopefully the heel cup will be narrow enough to keep my heels from sliding around. The current issue of feeling that my ankles will roll out at any moment inhibits my ability to dance well in heels. In my practice sneakers, dancing is divine. In heels, my teacher has said my dancing looks like I am wearing Japanese block shoes- DREADFUL!!! I hope to remedy that with a pair of RR!
  18. latingal

Good luck Solafide! I know many of us have embarked on long (and expensive) quests for the shoes that would work for each of us...hope yours goes well!
  19. RumbaLucia

RumbaLucia Member

As soon as I read your message, it screamed "Carmen" to me! lol They are very blunt across the front, and as Latingal says, are built like tanks. They do the wrap around strap now, but I have actually found that the TBar breaks in really really well (with some dogged perserverance!). I never dreamed I would ever try a TBar again, but they prevent over-flexion of the foot which can caused damage to the ankles if allowed to go on for too long.

Let us know how you get on. :)
  20. Sania

Sania Active Member

I have a narrow heel, high arch and wide toes and I wear Monsoon

I would check with the vendor and get their opinion. Lucienne Danceworks is one of the US vendors - you can google them

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it!