Ray Rose Shoe Question

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Beccajelly, Sep 27, 2007.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What exactly is the 'ultra flex' shoe that Ray Rose is advertising? Is it a shoe with a thinner, more flexible sole? In that case it sounds like minimal padding, maximum impact, painful feet, tho I suppose a better feel for the floor?
  2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

It doesn't seem much thinner to me, just more flexible. When they stopped making the 'regular' kalahari and i had to go to the ultra flex, i didn't like it at first. Probably because my feet weren't quite strong enough, since at that point i had only just graduated from a super sturdy Dance Naturals shoe that had very little ability to create a point LOL. I felt like a wobbly newborn bambi in the ultra flex. But now that my feet are a lot stronger, i love them. I don't feel that they dont' have enough padding, but i did have to work harder/adapt to balance myself and build that foot strength/control.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I was wearing supadance and internationals but now I'm back to Ray Rose. I like the Gobi (?) shoe, but haven't tried the ultraflex. I like a shoe to be stable and supportive for now!
  4. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, I've recently bought Ray Rose Drizzle shoes but when I point my toes there is way to much shoe at the end. I got them fitted in a store but have worked out from this thread that I probably need to go down a whole size still (I'm a street shoe size 7 and the latin shoes are a 5).
    I'm wondering if that will fix my problem or if I need to try a different shoe with a different shaped toe? Any one had this problem with the drizzle?
  5. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

With the british sizes, I tend to go down 2.5 sizes rather than just 2. I wear a 6.5 street and always buy a 4 in all my ballroom shoes. Makes them fit the best.
  6. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

And I tend to go down three whole sizes, from a US 7 to British 4. works best for me.
  7. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

I've just order the size 4 so fingers crossed they are better.
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I also go down 3 sizes. However, even with that, the front of the shoe is a bit longer then I would prefer. Some people actually go to a cobbler and have some of the front of the shoe cut off.

I deal with it by controlling my foot and shoe and how they brush the floor. After a while you get used to controlling the foot/shoe so that the over hang of the shoe consistently stays between your foot and the floor as you pass the foot on a high toe.

Good luck to you cabbagefairy!
  9. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I wear a US 7 and I buy my RR's in 3.5 UK. I would also go with a square toe if you have short toes like I do. :)
  10. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :)

I recently purchased the Ray Rose Blizzard sneakers--they're beautiful and exactly what I wanted from practice shoes, but I noticed that my toes are a bit squished together in the front. Does anyone know if they'll stretch at all? Otherwise, I may just bite the bullet and pay for shipping to exchange them for a half size bigger. I've never exchanged shoes ordered from the UK before--has anyone had good experience with Dance-Shop?

Thanks in advance!
  11. Dancer4Life2

Dancer4Life2 New Member

Hi! Happy Thanksgiving!
    I never bought from Dance-Shop. I am used to buy from DanceSportShop.com and they are great. They exchange everything, no question. They don't sell RR shoes yet but after emailing them they told me that they will in 2014!
    Thanks for the great advices!
  12. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

**by Blizzard I totally meant the Breezes, duh
  13. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I assume you mean the Breeze practice shoes with cuban heels (not sneakers)? As for stretching, I have the suede model, and the stretch a bit. I guess it will depend how squashed your toes are. In the practice shoes I normally wear a 1/2 size up from my size in RR heels.

And a happy Thanksgiving to you also!
  14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I have the suede ones. They've stretched a bit but I also wear them everyday for about 9 hours for teaching. For ray rose I always get a size 4 which is 2.5 sizes smaller than my normal shoe size.
  15. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

Thanks everyone! I haven't heard back from Dance-Shop yet, so I might just try to stretch them with socks. They mostly feel tight when I attempt to "spread my toes" for latin. With a little more give I think they would fit just right.
  16. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I love dance-shop- I find they carry ray rose for cheaper than other places. Never had to deal with a return from them, though.
  17. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Has anyone tried 2" Ray Rose Latins? In particular, the Kalahari? Found a pair on sale and I'm wondering if I should take advantage of it or if it would be a bad idea. I currently wear 2.5" Stephanie brand Latins that I'm really wanting to replace.