Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. lynn

lynn New Member

Given that we've not only got great dancers but also great cooks on DF - we undoubtedly have a ton of recipes so i thought we should keep a separate thread for all the great treasures!

Here's one i found on Spanish Omlette:

Spanish Omelette (4 servings)

4 medium-sized potatoes
    peeled and thinly sliced
    6 eggs
    1 onion
    chopped
    1 green pepper
    chopped
    1/4 litre olive oil
    salt
    Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then gently fry the sliced potatoes until almost soft, stirring from time to time so that they don't burn on the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and the green pepper and continue frying until all the vegetables are soft. Drain the vegetables in a colander to get rid of the excess oil.

Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, etc. and mix well and check seasoning.

Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a moderate heat. Pour in the potatoes and eggs and shake the frying pan from time to time so that the omelette doesn't stick to the bottom. Once the bottom of the omelette has set, turn the heat down low and cover the pan.

After about ten minutes, turn the omelette by placing either a flat plate or saucepan lid on the frying pan and quickly turning over. Gently slide the omelette back into the frying pan and continue frying, once again shaking the pan from time to time so that it doesn't stick to the bottom, until it has set all the way through.
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

For more foodie info, you can go here, too! It's a sister thread of Dance Forums, and there are many dancers that post their recipes! Check it out!

http://www.cookingandfood.com
  3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I've posted my recipes at http://members.aol.com/dwise1/recipes/index.html . They include Spanish rice, Apfelkuchen (German apple cake, a perennial favorite at pot lucks), Kaiserschmarren (an Austrian cross between a pancake and an omelet), and a pinapple dip that can double as an "instant" cheesecake.

I also have family recipes from my in-laws (Mexican), which I have not gotten around to uploading. They include a really great spaghetti meat sauce, beans, enchiladas suizas, mango pie, and calabacita con carne de puerco (pork cooked with squash and corn).
  4. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Kaiserschmarren? I was given the recipe for that by my Austrian friends and I tried making it later at my friends' house in Germany- FLOP! I will check out your recipe and try again. I think I ate it while having tea at a famous hotel Salzburg that specialized in that dessert- and it was HUGE, with heaps of whipped cream and strawberries. (Diet? Yeah, right!)
  5. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Well, if you're looking for a connection between cooking and dance, you need look no further than the word "salsa"! :cool: :D

(In case there's anyone on the planet who doesn't know, it means "sauce" in Spanish.)

Rosa :)
  6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What a hoot! Every so often, ads by google will post salsa mail-order ads with the salsa (dance) threads. I guess ads-by-google doesn't have a way of reading context to tell which is which. But they will soon, I'm sure. :cool:
  7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I always thought that the connection between cooking and dance was the snacks offered and the appetite we work up dancing.

In the US, there's a bit of competition between two different styles of salsa: LA style and NY style. Since I'm in So.California, we're mainly LA style here. When NY style is mentioned, we jokingly quote from a salsa commercial: "New York City?" *

*Explanation for our friends who haven't seen our TV commercials:
    Salsa is associated with the Southwest from Texas to Calif. This one brand is from the Southwest. In its commercials, it shows cowboys being served some salsa and somebody points out that that other brand is made in New York City and everybody reacts in disbelief and disgust, "New York City?".
  8. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Whaddayall say we all have our own DF reunion cookout? :mrgreen:
  9. lynn

lynn New Member

i'll bring the ingredients and see if anyone can magically turn them into something edible :lol: !!
  10. lynn

lynn New Member

o.k., i just saw 3 eggplants in the fridge :shock:!!! Courtesy of my mom's friend who's going back to japan and needed to get rid of the fruits & veggies in her fridge.... so....what do i do with eggplants?? Throw them in water and hope they cook themselves????

Any ideas??? Help.......

Hmm, would it be weird if i give out eggplants instead of poinsetias :rolleyes: ??
  11. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

12. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Eggplant Parmesean
    1 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs in shallow plate
    1 egg beaten in shallow plate
    1 medium eggplant, sliced into 6 (1/2-inch) rounds
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, sliced
    3 cloves garlic, crushed and then minced
    1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
    2 (15-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1 cup shredded skim mozzarella
    1 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Dip slices of eggplant into egg until fully covered, and then drag through the bread crumbs until completely coated and place onto a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.

While eggplant is baking, heat olive oil in a 5-quart nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the chili flakes and stir to incorporate. Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and stir to blend completely. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the basil, and remove from heat.

Remove eggplant from oven and leave oven at 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a medium-sized casserole dish (about 13 by 11 inches) with the eggplant rounds. Pour the tomato sauce over the eggplant. Top with the cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is soft and bubbly. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy! :)
  13. lynn

lynn New Member

o.k., i went to the cooking site and found a couple of really nice recipes, thanks, ladies!
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

do you people just have extra hours in the day that I just dont know about???...I keep thinking that i'm gonna have to retire if I ever hope to cook real meals nightly...I just cannot get it together...I can cook...I just never manage to get organized enough to make it a priority....sheesh...this thread is giving me a guilt complex...can any of you come over here and cook for dh?...:rolleyes:
  15. lynn

lynn New Member

i dunno, usually it takes me about 45 min. to make a full meal - time consuming, yes, but i also do it while i'm watching tv - yay, multi-tasking!!

Fascination, don't feel guilty, my mom's not exactly great in the kitchen herself - that's why eventhough she hates it, she still lets me mess up her kitchen! And she still raised me fine!!
  16. lynn

lynn New Member

actually, i was cruising through the foods forum and i've got a question: what's the difference between all those cheese?? I use cheddar for sandwiches and mozarella & parmesan for pasta but do they really taste any different?? And then there's monterey jack, swiss, provolone, brie, blue, feta......etc..etc..etc
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I figure my diet and fitness are two things I can have absolute contol of in my life, and I try to take care of myself(and husband), so I take the time and energy to prepare delicious and nutritionally-balanced meals every day. I am a very fast cook, so I can do a full-course meal in less than an hour. I usually spend less time than that cooking every day, and I also tend to make enough food for 2 days, so my husband and I can eat the leftovers in our bento the next day. Cooking is just something you have to prioritize in your schedule. I would much rather cook and enjoy eating a nice meal(with wine!) than read a book, for example.
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

There are SOFT cheeses like cottage cheese, farmer's cheese, feta, limburger, ricotta, camembert, boursin, cream cheese, brie and gourmandise.

SEMI-SOFT cheeses are havarti, port du salut, meunster, roquefort, mozarella, gorgonzola, stilton, asiago, monterey jack, brick and bleu cheese.

The varieties edam and cheese curds can be sefined as SEMI-SOFT to HARD.

HARD cheeses are swiss, fontina, provolone, colby, cheddar, gouda, gruyere and gjetost.

VERY HARD cheeses are romano, sapsago and parmesan(usually used for grating and serving atop cooked dishes or salads).

Processed cheese is not really cheese(in my foodie opinion) and should be avoided.
  19. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

So when are you all coming over?
  20. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Thanks cocodrilo, looks like an interesting forum. I'll register. I just LOVE cooking and food!!