Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Robin12

Robin12 New Member

Mediterranian beans and rice

1/2 cup kidney beans
    1/2 cup lentil beans
    1/2 cup navy beans
    1/2 cup split peas
    2 cups rice (brown rice preferred)

2 teaspoons chicken bullion flakes (or two cubes crushed bullion)
    2 Tablespoons orgeno
    1 teaspoon marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon black pepper or 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper

• Let the kidney beans soak in cool water about 6-8 hours
    • Add the other beans & peas in, bring to a boil, turn off heat, then let soak 30 minutes.
    • Drain water, add rice and six cups of water
    • Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until rice is edibly soft and most of the water seems evaporated. Stir as necessary.
    • Stir in spices thoroughly.
    • serve
    Makes 4 servings as a side dish or 2 servings as a main dish.
  2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Stove top chicken Ramen Casserole

2 packages Chicken flavored Top Ramen
    1 pint chicken stock
    1 14oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
    3/4 pound chicken meat
    14oz can sweet corn
    Shredded cheese of your choiice (enough to cover casserole)
    1 1/2 teaspoon Poultry seasoning
    1 tsp rosemary
    1/2 tsp Thyme
    salt and pepper to taste.

Break up the ramen noodles and add all the noodles, and one of the flavor packets, to the pot. Drain the sweet corn, add it to pot. Cut up chicken into bite size pieces (I used all dark meat chicken), add to pot. Add everything else but the cheese to the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until noodles have cooked and sauce has reached desired consistency. Turn off heat, sprinkle shredded cheese to cover, and put lid back on pot. Give it approximately ten minutes and check it. Cheese should be melted over top. Serve. Would go well with a side of nice crisp asparagus or baby spinach salad with a good vinegar based dressing. Serve with a dry white wine, good bit of acid, to cut through the creaminess.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

That could only come from the Midwest. ;)
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I had same thought... :)
  5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

hahah, then I guess I won't post the mexican beef one I made up while I was in the grocery store. :)
  6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Steak Burrito Casserole

1 Cup Rice
    1 pound meat (I used round steak)
    1 can Tomato Soup
    1 can Rotel tomatoes with diced Chiles
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can of beanns (I used homemade seasoned burrito beans)

wash rice, put in 9x13 casserole dish. Add fluid from tomatoes to tomato soup, and if necesssary, add water to make 2 cups, add to casserole dish. Cook meat, garlic and onions with taco seasoning according to package instructions, and then add all to casserole dish. Add tomatoes and beans to casserole dish, mix it all together. Top with shredded cheese.

Cover with foil, and cook for one hour at 350. Remove foil, and cook for another 15 minutes, or until fluid is absorbed and rice is tender.

As soon as it cools down I'll let you know how it tastes. :) Can also add a bit of chili powder, cayenne pepper or paprika to taste (depending on whether you like taco seasoning way it is or if it needs more)

OK, turned out pretty good, if I do say so mself. Actually, if I had some tortillas, would make for a great burrito filling itself.
  7. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

A man with a can and a plan.

Come to think of it, isn't there a cookbook by that title?
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

http:// specialchildren .about.com/od/familyissues/gr/amanacanaplan.htm

knock yourself out, etp. :cool:
  9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I thinkn so.

Nothing really special, but just good comforting food. make things like my sauteed sea scallopps or the rabbit stew if I want sometning special. :)
  10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

haha, that's great Sam, thanks. May have to pick up a copy. :)
  11. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Pasta Salad

16oz bag cheese filled tortellini
    12oz bag Ricotta and Spinach filled Capelletti
    12oz jar marinated mushrooms
    12oz jar marinated artichoke hearts
    1/2 Green pepper
    2 bundles green onions
    1C shredded parmesan
    1C chopped cherry tomatoes

Boil water and cook the pasta
    Chop peppers, onions, mushrooms and artichoke hearts, saving the liquid from the mushrooms and the artichoke hearts.
    Throw it all, including juice from the mushrooms in a bowl and mix. If still not enough dressing from the mushroom liquid, add some of the liquid from the artichoke hearts.

Serves pros at 1 medium sized studio. :)
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Beef Veggie Stew from leftovers

Not exactly what i made today, as I used homeade stock and canned stew vegetables that I put up a few months ago, but regardless, great way to use leftover meat.

2# cooked chuck roast
    1# bag mixed frozen vegetables
    32oz box/can of stock (I used Coq au Vin stock, but good luck on finding that, as I think it only exists in my pantry ;) )
    14oz can vegetable stock
    2 medium potatoes, cubed
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup red wine
    2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Salt and pepper to taste (be sparing on the salt, as stock will likely provide enough as is).

Throw it all in crock pot, cook until warmed through. Thicken with a bit of flour or corn starch, serve with crusty bread and red wine or a good dark beer.
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Trying the whoopie pies this weekend Sam. They better be good!! ;)
  14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I challenge Samina to create a live raw whoopie pie! :p
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

ahaha, was actually thinking same thing looking through her site at some of other recipes, esp that raw chocolate one. :)
  16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

hohoho...you are in for a treat, young man...:cool:

edit to add: don't overbake the cake pieces.
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

*sigh*

have already challenged self. if only it were possible...if i ever do discover a raw equal to vanilla + milk, i should be proclaimed a raw saint forevermore...

if i could do that, i bet i could work something out. but there are simply some fabulously yummy recreational cooked foods for which there will never, ever be raw equivs, no matter how much the raw foodies try to pretend, heh. layer cake is one of them.
  18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Actually making them for pros at studio, so they'll have to decide if it's any good. ;)

Doing vegetarian stiir fry and these. Just trying to decide if I'm gonna do any rice/noodles/etc with it all. I generally bring in lunch and a desert.
  19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that'll be fun. do report back! :)

mmmm...spiced thai peanut noodles...
  20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

sorry for the mini-hijack....

What's not raw about vanilla + milk? You just whip the bejeebus out of it, yes? No cooking involved there. Milk the cow/goat/mammal yourself if that makes it more legit.