Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Great! Now we will have folks from ALL corners of the world! Be sure to post some recipes of your recommended cuisine of your area. I'm VERY interested!
  2. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the time. I haven't had much chance to learn to cook yet because I'm still at that awkward stage where I'm out dancing every night (well, dance classes most of the time, and I do usually get Saturday night off) and don't usually come dragging myself home until after 10PM.

Though I do get in some baking. My brother-in-law was looking forward to my moving out on my own because he remembered the bread I used to bake in college. I usually make the Apfelkuchen and sometimes Irish soda bread. And I always try to drop some off for my sister and her husband, since they have helped me so much.
  3. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Damn that sounds good! (Irish soda bread and the apple cake!)
  4. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I often listen to Spanish tapes while I'm cooking, thereby improving my language skills whilst keeping body and soul together. :D

Salsa music doesn't work - then I'm too inclined to start dancing round the kitchen rather than cooking!

Rosa :)
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Same here! I never listen to salsa music while cooking, otherwise nothig would get cooked! Jazz works well as BGM, as does classical, or rai even...
  6. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

When I make my good old tortellini (pasta with filling - usually cheese or proschutto) I always add, almong with the all-classic parmegianno cheese and the milk creme, some pepper. I love pepper and pasta. Anyone else who does that?

Twilight Elena
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ya know, I love it too and I'm respectable at it but I just never seem to remeber to make it a priority until it is too late....partly b/c I workout right at the dinner hour and partly b/c the kids are so picky and dh has so many allergies that is is hardly possible...long story 'nother time...I actually had a minor in restuarant /hotel/mgmt and food and nutrition...which is the grand irony:rolleyes:
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's fine, IMO. As long as you and your family are eating, who cares who cooks? :lol: You get to set your own priorities.

I think that's one of the things that really damaged my relationship with the ex. I love cooking. But he expected me to cook and saw anything food-related as my sole responsiblity. I didn't mind, at first, but once I started feeling taken for granted, the thing I used to love became a burden.

Structure your life in a way that makes you happy, IMO. There's nothing wrong with that. No guilt, sweetie. :cool: Especially now that there are so many healthful options out there -- convenience foods from the supermarket (not fast food -- healthful food that's already cooked,) restaurants that deliver honest-to-goodness dinner, etc., there's no need to set your priorities such that you spend an hour a day in the kitchen, unless you want to. My two cents. :cool:
  9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Nowadays, with mothers and wives also having to deal with having a full time job, I think it's pretty logical that the husband gives a hand in making lunch/dinner, no?

Twilight Elena
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Pepper definitely adds a nice zing. :)
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

My cousin's husband does all the cooking. My cousin has cooked 4 times in 3 years!!
  12. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I recognise this...

13. pygmalion

Yeah, Rosa. I recognize some of the things you've said, as well. :? :friend:
  14. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Thanks, Jenn. :together:

15. fascination

:kissme: i've got to put you on my speed dial
  16. lynn

lynn New Member

Being a modern woman is no easy job - many have full time job and on top of that, they need to take care of the kids (& maybe the husbands too??), cook, clean...etc..etc..etc!!
  17. pygmalion

True. :? :cool:
  18. lynn

lynn New Member

Many struggle between being a full-time housewife/mom or continue with career - and i've seen some having a super hard time juggling both. It sometimes makes me wonder whether the traditional model (where dad goes working and mom stays home) or the modern model (both working with kids being taken care of by a nanny or off to pre-school) is the better one??
  19. fascination

both can be done poorly ...both can be done well...most of the time it wiggles btwn the two...IMO...this week I am losing the battle for balance....oh well...sips more nog...non alcoholic tonight
  20. lynn

lynn New Member

don't worry, fascination, it's the heart that counts :wink:!! I thnk you make a wonderful mom/wife!