Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

btw, does anybody besides me find it ironic that this, the recipes thread, has been totally hijacked away from containing any recipes? Yet countless other non-recipe threads are full of the darn things! :lol:

2. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Yeah, a process of constant change and correction...

Sounds like life!

Rosa :)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lets see:

roast pork loin in the crock pot:

a quart of apple cider
    fresh rosemary (the more the better)
    two cloves of garlic....

throw it all in and cook the daylights out of it

really good meatball sauce

2 cans of sauerkraut, 2 cans of whole cranberry sauce, 2 btls of heinz chili sauce...homemade or frozen meatballs...same concept....throw in crock pot

:cool:

4. pygmalion

:lol: Love it!

Has anybody ever made the crock pot roast beef with a bottle of beer? One of my dance teachers used to swear by that recipe. It was roast beef, beer and one other ingredient. I just can't remember what the other ingredient was. Anybody know?

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

no but my mom always boils her sausage on beer before browning it

6. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Yeah, I've often done beef with beer. Or steak in ale, as we call it over here. :D

Think the other ingredient would almost certainly have been onions.

7. pygmalion

Yeah. That's what I was thinking, although I couldn't remember. :cool: Or he may have recommended dried onion soup mix. (Do you have that in the UK?)

8. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Yeah, we have it. But it's just as easy to chop up an onion and fling it in. No worries! :D

9. pygmalion

I prefer fresh onion, but sometimes use a combination of the two, since the soup already has salt and some other flavorings in it. :cool:

10. Medira

Medira New Member

AHA! I found it. :D

C is for Cookie...

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

somebody's craving chocolate...:rolleyes:

12. Medira

Medira New Member

Why yes, yes I am. How could you tell. ;)

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

so... are you gonna bake these beauties up today?

14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

onion soup has caramelised onions.

15. Medira

Medira New Member

Unfortunately, I'm not going to have time until at least Sunday. They've been very successful though (apparently, I've never had an opportunity to try them) whenever I've baked them.

16. Medira

Medira New Member

Okay, to prove that I'm not only chocolate-centric, this is what I'm making for dinner tonight:

Chicken Pot Pie

1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons dried tarragon
    3 carrots, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
    1 cup peeled and diced (1/2-inch) russet potatoes
    1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
    1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
    1 medium-sized ripe tomato, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
    2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
    Salt and pepper, to taste
    1 sheet prepared puff pastry (1/2 pound), thawed if frozen
    1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water

1. Heat the oil and butter in a pot over low heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the flour and tarragon; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes more.
    2. Add the carrots, potatoes, apple, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, dill, tomato, and chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper, then cook 5 minutes more.

3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart round ovenproof casserole. On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry out to form a circle 2 inches larger than the casserole. Brush some egg wash around the inside and outside rim of the casserole. Lay the pastry over the top, trim the overhang to 1 inch, and crimp the edges around the rim to seal. Cut several slits in the pastry to release the steam, then brush with remaining egg wash. Bake until crust is golden, 40 to 45 minutes.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yummmm....

haven't made chicken pot pie for ages... next time i roast a chicken that's what i'll plan to do with the leftovers

18. Medira

Medira New Member

Well, my ankle flared up during my lesson earlier today, so I'm not going into the studio to practice tonight. That means I can go home and take the time to make a proper dinner.

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

you're going home to stand in your kitchen for an hour cooking?

see, if it were me and my ankle flared up, i'd pick up pizza on the way home and eat it with my feet up and a glass of zin by my side... :rolleyes:

20. Medira

Medira New Member

Not quite. I can do most of what I need to while sitting down. Also, I have a nifty little tensor-like wrap that has a pocket for an ice pack, so I can keep it iced while I'm up and about.

Other than dinner though, the order for the night is to curl up on the couch with my book and a big, comfy blanket.