Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

There, that should keep all you cooks busy for a while. :)
  2. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Etp, for the soda bread would you make a dip or anything with it? I could use some recipes for an upcoming St. Patty's party we're going to have. A girl I knew used to make this great bread bowl with a beer dip, it was pretty dang good, but I don't know the recipe for it.

The zucchini pie sounds really good, my mom always grows a ton of zucchini every year so I'll have to get back to that one. Yum.
  3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I just serve it hot, sliiced, with butter

Of course, also make corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potatos, cookked with beer, served with beer. :)
  4. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Oui, my stomach is flipping just with the thought of that! Probably not the best thing to eat before dancing. :p
  5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Onion Dip
    (adapted by a friend from an Alton Brown recipe)

3 T bacon grease (or other oil)
    3 cups diced onions
    salt for sweating
    16 oz cream cheese
    3 T rice vinegar
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup mayo
    .5 tsp garlic powder
    .5 tsp pepper
    salt to taste

Heat grease in heavy pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and som e salt. Sweat for ~20 minutes, until onions are translucent and starting to fall apart. Raise heat and stir frequently until dark brown (think mahogany dark). When done, cool completely before adding to dip.

Whip cream cheese and vinegar until smooth and a bit fluffy. Add everything else. Adjust salt and vinegar levels as desired. Let sit overnight for flavors to develop. Stir before serving to distribute color from onion bits.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Everything's better with bacon (grease).
  7. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Mmmmm, bacon grease.

Guy at work couldn't believe I cook with that when I mentioned it a couple days ago. Was asying oen of my favorite breakfasts is a bacon, fried egg and cheese sandwich. Fry the bacon, put it on paper towel to blot. Fry some eggs in pan with bacon grease (best tasting fried eggs you'll ever have), put this on toast with cheese, bit of mustard, maybe some ketchup if you want. Or bit of tobasco, tastes great. Then have at it. :)
  8. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I feel a heart attack coming on... *pounds chest*

(sounds delish! lol)
  9. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I know a guy who puts bacon drippings on his popcorn. He's a BIG man but quite healthy heartwise. Or so he said his doc said.
  10. Peaches

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

12. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Just to start, ahve to say, make SURE you use pressure canner if you're canning soup. Only safe way to do it.

That being said, sharing some recipes that look REALLY good, and that I plan on starting with when I get home and get my pressure canner. :) This is one of the most popular recipes of any type for canning on site I've done most of my research and asked my questions.

Darlene's Chicken Soup

2 whole chickens (around 7-9 lbs)
    4 T salt (I only use kosher salt in my cooking)
    1 T peppercorns
    1 large onion
    2 large carrots
    3 stalks celery
    3 whole large garlic cloves
    4-6 bay leaves

Fill a 16-20 quart pot with water and place both chickens inside. Bring to a boil and skim off scum that rises to top. Once the chicken ceases releasing the scum, add above listed vegetables and spices and let simmer for a few hours until chicken starts to fall apart in pot.

Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Strain broth with veggies through cheese cloth, discarding veggies, leaving a clear, rich broth.

De-bone and de-fat chicken totally, cutting into bite-sized pieces.

In separate bowls, prepare the following:

Onion - chopped
    Carrots - sliced
    Celery - chopped

In each pint jar, place 1/2 ounce onion, 1/2 ounce celery, 1 1/2 ounce carrots, 1 ounce cleaned chicken. In quarts, place 1/2 ounce onion**, 1/2 ounce celery**, 3 ounce carrots**, 3 ounces cleaned chicken**. Pour hot broth over veggies and chicken in jars, remove air bubbles, place lids on and place into canner, processing for:

Dial gauge canner

Pints - 75 minutes, Quarts - 90 minutes

0-2000 ft - 11 lb pressure
    2001-4000 ft - 12 lb pressure
    4001-6000 ft - 13 lb pressure
    6001-8000 ft - 14 lb pressure

Weighted Gauge

Pints - 75 minutes, Quarts 90 minutes

0-1000 ft - 10 lb pressure
    Above 1000 ft - 15 lb pressure

**3 oz cubed chicken (approximately 1/2-3/4 cup)
    3 oz sliced carrots (approximately 1/2-3/4 cup)
    1/2 oz chopped onion (approximately 1 heaping tablespoon)
    1/2 oz chopped celery (approximately 1 heaping tablespoon)

This recipe does well halved. Or doubled, if you have a big enough pot.
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Again, must pressure can.

Ball's Hearty Chili

Makes about 3 (32 oz) quarts or 6 (16 oz) pints

View half-serving recipe >

You will need:
    4 lb boneless beef chuck
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    3 cups diced onion (about 4 medium)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    5 Tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp cumin seed
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    6 cups undrained and diced canned tomatoes (about 4 14.5-oz cans)
    3 (32 oz) quart or 6 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

Directions:
    1.) PREPARE pressure canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) CUT meat into 1/2-inch cubes, removing excess fat. Lightly brown in hot oil. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft but not brown.

3.) ADD remaining spices and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4.) LALDE hot chili into hot jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

5.) PROCESS filled jars in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure 1 hour and 30 minutes for pints and quarts, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

My pressure canner is called "full-size freezer."
  16. Peaches

They work pretty well, too.
  17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

One more soup, then I'll do at least one jam:

Darlene's Split Pea Soup with Ham

1 - 5 to 6lb ham (bone in)
    1 3/4lbs chopped onion
    3 - 14oz packages of green split peas
    1T peppercorns
    3T Kosher salt

For later when canning:

Raw sliced carrots
    Raw cubed potatoes

So, with that said...

I take about a 5-6lb ham with bone in and put it into my 20qt stock pot and fill with water. After the ham comes to a boil, I turn it down to simmer, and skim off any scum that rises to the top. I add the 3 bags of split peas, the onion, peppercorns and salt, and let simmer on low for a few hours. To get the soup put together, I pull out the ham and debone/defat it. I slice up raw carrots and cube raw potatoes. I cube up the ham to, and for each quart jar, I put:

rounded 1/2c cubed ham
    rounded 1/2c sliced carrots
    rounded 1/2c cubed potatoes

75 minutes for pints and 90 minutes for quarts, and the appropriate pressure for your elevation. I'm at 11' above sea level so I do 10lbs pressure. Generally it's 0-1000ft at 10lbs pressure, and over 1000ft at 15lbs pressure.
  18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, but some of these recipes if you follow them step by step and freeze you'll have raw veggies in. :) I can post other non canner recipes, found some really good ones, some of which I like better than these, since I can still use rice, pasta, etc when I'm freezing it. :)
  19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Ok, last canning recipe for the day. This one is fine in a water bath, like most jams/jellies.

Champagne Blush Jelly

Ingredients

3 cups raspberry juice
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 (1 3/4 ounce) package pectin
    4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups champagne Directions

1. Prepare boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2. Combine raspberry juice and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in pectin. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Add sugar and return to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in champagne. Skim off foam if necessary.
    3. Ladle hot into hot jars leaving 1 /4 inch. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until it's fingertip tight.
    4. Process in a boiling boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Is there a problem with raw veggies?