Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Bake at 350, don't broil.

I'm actually surprised that Fasc doesn't go for wings...learned something new. :)

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks! :)

3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Me too. I actually have very little meat, myself. But don't give me tofu Thanksgiving turkey (Thanksgiving is right around the corner folks), or something else that isn't the real thing.

4. Sagitta

Knife and fork? I just go for it with my fingers... Actually there are a lot of meat pieces which are mostly bone that people like the taste of. I know quite a few who go for chicken heads, necks and legs (legs with the claw and all). ;) My mom invited a friend over for the first time and kept all the big juicy pieces for a chicken curry. The friend asked, this chicken didn't come with necks, and legs and other parts? :D

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yea....no...that is probably why I ought to be a vegetarian, and rarely eat meat anyhow...I do no want any reminder of the body part I am noshing on...and I sure as hades don't want to see it staring back at me either...if I could figure out a wa to live without the occasioanl beef taco (and a few other vices) I could probably do without it all together

6. pygmalion

That reminds me of the first time the ex made me fish stew. It had eyeballs. *eek*

The planning committee for the wingapalooza (Love that term. Thanks P.) has decided to get the two bags of wings from Costco (one hot, one honey bbq,) plus go with sami's basic recipe and ask people to bring a favorite dipping sauce.That way, we can have a bunch of different flavors. And of course, buffalo cauliflower that doesn't pretend to be chicken. lol.

Any ideas for dipping sauces? I'm coming up short, after honey mustard, bbq, and ranch. I'm not a very saucy gal. (Quiet in the peanut gallery. lol)

7. pygmalion

I'm not big on recognizable body parts, either. Oy. Tongue looks like tongue. Chitterlings look like intestines. Tripe looks like oh my golly! Get me outta here! lol.

Drummettes don't look like wings to me, so I'm good. *shrug*

8. fascination

well, you have to have bleu cheese...and I think teriyaki or jerk sauce are also winners

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Not into. Purist, here. Use quality ingredients and no sauces are necessary, IMHO.

10. pygmalion

Gotcha, and totally understand. I never have understood why people insist on drowning their food in unnecessary fat and calories, when nekkid food** (often, to me) tastes better, anyway.

But, since the wingapalooza will have around 50 participants, it's a pretty safe bet there'll be somebody who wants ranch dip plus a whole lot more.

** Reminds me of the time when there was a party at DS's preschool and I was asked to bring crudites (Don't get me started on a preschool pretentious enough to ask for crudites and cream cheese sandwiches for a party. Who the heck ever heard of three-year-olds eating cream cheese sandwiches? Just don't get me started. lol) Anyway, I bought a tray, removed the big (I thought unnecessary) container of ranch dip, and added more veg. When I got to the school, DS's teacher gasped, asked where the ranch was, and stomped off to the school kitchen to get some. Blech. She assumed that kiddos wouldn't eat raw veg without ranch dip. Well uh ... no they won't if you teach them not to. I think a lot of us are trained from an early age to drown our food rather than just taste it. *shrug*

11. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Recipe request here...

Looking for something that's relatively easy and quick to make, freezes well, and is fairly low-calorie high-protein.

So far, I have stir fry. And that's pretty much it.

I tend to snack a fair bit, on bad things, and when I'm at work I buy unhealthy food because that's all they sell. Any ideas that travel well and taste good are awesome.

12. pygmalion

Chili and fake bolognese sauce (bottled pasta sauce + browned ground meat) immediately pop into mind. I think Peaches may have posted a couple useful lentil recipes, as well. :)

13. fascination

quiche, with veggies in it....because of the crust, it travels very well

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yeah, my first thought was lentils. Simmer them in water or veggie stock, add celery and carrots and onion, season to taste. Lentil soup...done. Put over some rice if you want. Freeze in containers, then nuke and add some salt and pepper. If you really want to get fancy, throw in some chopped tomatoes and baby spinach as you're reheating it, then grate Parmesan over the top. But that is all optional extra.

Also mahogany chicken. It freezes remarkably well.

15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Or chicken soup. Precooked rotisserie chicken from the store works well enough, if you have that there.

Or curried chickpeas. I can give you that recipe if you want.

Or veggie lasagna or baked ziti.

16. Sagitta

You can cut chicken strips, roll in crumbs/batter, bake, then freeze. You can make a lot at one time easily, and it keeps well. Easy to eat on the go as well.

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

I'm a big fan of chicken, and I like quiche.

Will give the soups a try, too, and the bolognese sauce...sounds good.

18. pygmalion

Cool! The other option, IME, is to cook things that are easy/low-maintenance or that will cook themselves while you do something else.

Example: One of DS's fave comfort food meals is meatloaf and baked potato.

For you, that would look like get home, mix up the meatloaf ingredients. Put it in a baking pan in the oven. Add a couple baking potatoes. Walk away. Do your homework.

Come back an hour later when dinner is almost done. Take the meatloaf out of the oven. Steam some broccoli and crank up the oven, so the potatoes can finish cooking, if they're not done yet. Make BF set the table.

You're eating a home-cooked meal less than an hour and a half after you get home. You've spent *maybe* fifteen minutes in the kitchen and your homework for at least one class is done.

19. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

You can make a surprising number of things in a crock pot / slow cooker. Toss the stuff in in the morning, set on low, and dinner is ready when you walk in that night.

Pressure cookers are also handy devices for cooking things quickly.

20. Sagitta

I am in 100% agreement. I call mine the magical machine.