Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

One of the best cheese tastings I ever did was 12 cheeses arranged from most mild to most strong. I don't remember if it was all one sort of cheese or not; I think it was. I just remember that by walking thought the different-but-related varieties I was able to really appreciate each one. Blue cheeses are spectacular for this, IMO. So much incredible variety. Sweet, sour, nutty, buttery, nutty. I'd recommend "flights" of related cheeses, to allow people to develop the taste for them. You could do a couple of different "sets", and then have some interesting varieties with tasty accompaniments. I'm thinking of this particular Bermuda onion cheddar, which is absolutely spectacular with pickles.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That sounds groovy, P. Must ponder how to execute the plan.

3. pygmalion

OMG. Just googled a recipe for gorgonzola, pear and walnut quiche. *shudder in anticipation*

4. Peaches

*drooling*. Pears and blue cheese is one of my all time favorite combos. OMG. Miami...pear and Gorgonzola tortellini...heaven. Too bad you can't compliment things with wine. Such a wonderful dimension to cheese.

5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

6. pygmalion

Om nom nom.

Just googled the world's most politically correct fondue recipe. It gives directions for selecting dipping foods for the "gluten-free" option and the "vegetarian option." Oy!

Nice, though, and it seems pretty simple.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cheese_fondue/

7. pygmalion

Okay. I'm warming up to the fondue idea (no pun intended) now that I've found disposable wooden skewers on Amazon. Cheap. $14 plus shipping for 1000 of them. I'm not real enthused about sharing potentially double-dipped cheese with 40 co-workers. Dip once and throw away the skewer I can handle. :cool:

So question. What do you like to dip in cheese fondue?

So far, I have day-old bread cubes, cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli, ham cubes. Can't think of anything else. Any ideas?

8. pygmalion

I checked in with cheesy GF today. She loves the idea of the gorgonzola quiche. She also likes cheesecake for dessert -- the real, baked, New York cheesecake. None of that fluffy refrigerator stuff. She also likes the idea of fondue and the idea of a cheese tasting, maybe paired with fruits or other savory stuff.

Looks like fromage it is. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

9. pygmalion

Ha! And you thought I was crazy. Special feature at Central Market** this week: Hail to the Cheese -- a special sale featuring hundreds of types of cheeses from all over the world. Hail to the Cheese = Homage to Fromage. Just sayin. *grin*

** Central Market = upscale super market similar to Whole Foods, but not just organic/natural. It's more about specialty and hard-to-find items, although it does have an impressive selection of organic stuff.

10. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Anyone got a favorite lemon bar recipe?

11. Peaches

I have one. I can get it to you this evening.

mindputtee likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

These may be a bit complicated for a college student's kitchen, but here goes:

Meyer Lemon Bars
    From Bo Friberg's The Professional Pastry Chef

10 oz unsalted butter
    8 oz light brown sugar
    1 egg
    13 oz bread flour
    Meyer Lemon Filling (recipe follows)

1. Place the butter, brown sugar, and egg in a mixing bowl. Mix at low speed using the dough hook attachment until the ingredients are just combined. Add the flour and continue to mix until the dough is smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl once or twice; do no mix any longer than necessary. Refrigerate the dough until it is firm enough to work with.

2. Line the bottom of a half-sheet pan with baking paper. Roll out the chilled dough to a rectangle slightly larget than the pan and line the bottom and sides of the pan with the dough; you should use up all of the dough. Prick the dough well over the bottom of the pan. Cut a sheet of baking paper to cover the bottom and long sides of the dough int he pan. Place the paper on top of the dough and fill with dried beans or pie weights.

3. Bake at 375 deg F until the crust is golden brown around the top edges, approx 15 minutes. Remove the beans or pie weights and the baking paper, then return the shell to the oven to finish baking, about 5 minutes longer.

4. While the crust is baking, make the filling. Pour the filling over the hot crust as soon as it is removed from the oven. Return to the oven and lower the oven temperature to 350 deg F. Bake for about 25 minutes longer or until the filling has thickened and a very light brown skin has formed on top.

5. Cool completely. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips and crosswise into 6 pieces.

Meyer Lemon Filling

4 tbs cornstarch
    1 lb 8 oz granulated sugar
    12 whole eggs
    4 egg yolks
    Finely grated zest of 4 meyer lemons
    2.5 cu Meyer lemon juice

1. Stir the cornstarch into the sugar. Mix the eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, stirring until the ingredients are well combined; do not whip or beat the mixture.
    2. Place the lemon custard over a bain-marie and heat, stirring constantly, until the filling has thickened; do not overcook.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The recipe for Neiman Marcus Lemon Bars was IIRC included in a Top 100 recipes edition of Gourmet mag back in the 90s. Brill recipe, highly recommended. Been making it a long time.

14. Peaches

Here's the one I use, from Cook's Illustrated. Also great with limes instead of lemons.

Makes about two dozen 1 1/2- to 2-inch squares
    The lemon filling must be added to a warm crust. The 30-minute chilling and 20-minute baking of the crust should allow plenty of time to prepare the filling. If not, make the filling first and stir to blend just before pouring it into the crust. Any leftover bars can be sealed in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to two days.
    Ingredients

• The Crust
    • 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, plus extra to decorate finished bars
    • 1/4 cup cornstarch
    • 3/4 teaspoon table salt
    • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at very cool room temperature, cut into 1-inch pieces, plus extra for greasing pan
    • Lemon Filling
    • 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
    • 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
    • 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest from 2 large lemons
    • 2/3 cup lemon juice from 3 to 4 large lemons, strained
    • 1/3 cup whole milk
    • 1/8 teaspoon table salt
    Instructions

1. 1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and line with one sheet parchment or wax paper. Dot paper with butter, then lay second sheet crosswise over it (see illustration 1, below).
    2. 2. Pulse flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt in food processor workbowl fitted with steel blade. Add butter and process to blend, 8 to 10 seconds, then pulse until mixture is pale yellow and resembles coarse meal, about three 1-second bursts. (To do this by hand, mix flour, confectioners’ sugar, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl. Freeze butter and grate it on large holes of box grater into flour mixture. Toss butter pieces to coat. Rub pieces between your fingers for a minute, until flour turns pale yellow and coarse.) Sprinkle mixture into lined pan and, following illustration 2, press firmly with fingers into even, 1/4-inch layer over entire pan bottom and about 1/2-inch up sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
    3. 3. For the filling: Meanwhile, whisk eggs, sugar, and flour in medium bowl, then stir in lemon zest, juice, milk, and salt to blend well.
    4. 4. To finish the bars: Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Stir filling mixture to reblend; pour into warm crust. Bake until filling feels firm when touched lightly, about 20 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack; cool to near room temperature, at least 30 minutes. Following illustrations 3 and 4, below, transfer to cutting board, fold paper down, and cut into serving-size bars, wiping knife or pizza cutter clean between cuts, as necessary. Sieve confectioners’ sugar over bars, if desired.

15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my veggie soup;

flank steak (sliced)
    can of spagetti sauce
    half an onion (diced)
    3 stalks of celery (chopped)
    julienned carrots
    red potatoes (cubed)
    fresh green beans (cut)
    one pkg fresh mushrooms
    salt, pepper and oregano to taste

put it all in a crock pot for hours...et viola

lol...edit to add; add water as allowed to get liquid to the top of the crock pot, and salt can be substituted for a bit of soy sauce if you prefer (which I do)

16. pygmalion

Yay. I will try it. I think I may have mentioned once or twice that I like crockpots. *grin*

17. raindance

raindance Active Member

Do you include any other liquid in there? (Water, broth?)

18. fascination

oh...water as needed to fill the rest of the pot...and a bit of soy sauce if you like it instead of the salt

19. fascination

20. pygmalion

Funny. When I read the recipe, I just assumed that the veg made it's own broth. Silly me.