Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it does to some degree, but I probably have to fill that jar of spag sauce about half way full of water and add that in as well...all depends on whether you want it to feel like stew or soup
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I may try it twice -- once each way. A good veggie soup/stew recipe is a very good thing to have. :)
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Thanks! Sounds delicious, I do prefer the flavor of limes. Might have to experiment.
  4. pygmalion

Two times the cookies. Never a bad thing. :)

Has anybody here ever made fish tacos? I have a pot luck coming up this week (shocker: It's not my idea. I'm just a guest.) It's one of your typical Texas potlucks -- nachos, of course. The usual beef, chicken, tortillas and toppings. After almost eight years in Texas, that theme is a bit tired, if you ask me.

So I'm thinking fish. The toppings and tortillas will already be there, but fish would be a little different.

Any thoughts? the two approaches I've seen so far are grilled fish with light toppings or breaded, fried fish with creamy sauces -- kinda like a po boy, only with fish instead of shrimp. Any thoughts?
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

asian tacos are also pretty hot these days...if you did fish, my personal preference is blackened mahi mahi
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Love, love, love fish tacos. My tips:
    • Make a very garlicky sour cream sauce to go with it...even better if flavored with some kind of pepper (jalapeño, chipotle).
    • Forget the cheese but have a good salsa (even better, pico de gallo) handy.
    • They go great with a fresh coleslaw dressed with a tex-mex vinaigrette (not mayo). This would be instead of lettuce.
    • Although I generally prefer crisp taco shells, fish tacos go very nicely with soft, warm corn tortillas.
    • Catfish makes for good fish tacos, provided the condiments are heavily seasoned (see first bullet point above...)
  7. pygmalion

I saw a recipe for crock pot fish that I may try to adapt. (Just google crock pot fish and you'll probably find this recipe. It seems as if every recipe site on the web has copied it.)

Basic idea: Season fish and place in aluminum foil packets. Place packets in slow cooker until done.

I'm not in love with the recipe because it involves mayo and cheese. (Seriously. Can't people decide for themselves if they want cheese? Mayo I understand; three hours in a slow cooker and you're going to need something to keep the fish moist.) But I do like the idea of cooking in foil packets. Reminds me of outdoor grilling.
  8. pygmalion

Oh yeah and tacos w/out jalapeno = uhhh. Not gonna happen over here. No sirree. lol.
  9. pygmalion

Didn't end up making the fish tacos for the work function. Too much hassle to make the fish at work. Will try it at home, though. I did end up making this very, very yummy southwestern salad, though. I found this recipe by googling "how to doctor up black beans." It doesn't give any amounts for anything, so just eyeballed stuff and made the colors look prtty. lol.

Can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    Can of corn, drained (I got organic from Target. $3, but it was only one can, so what the heck)
    Finely chopped red onion
    Finely chopped green bell pepper
    Coarsely chopped tomato
    Coarsely chopped cucumber
    One whole green jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
    red wine vinegar
    EVOO
    cumin

feta cheese

Combine everything except the feta cheese. Refrigerate for an hour or two to let the flavors combine. Toss with feta immediately before serving.

Yum.
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yummy! I love black bean salads.
  11. pygmalion

Yes. I've known it for a long time, but, lately, I've gotten even more evidence. Beans are groovy. :)
  12. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Might as well post how I did my amazing roast, even if it's just to I remember it.

I had 1.3kg roast, carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

Cut three slits in the top of the roast, and put half a garlic clove in each. Put rosemary on top of the lamb, and sprayed lightly with cooking oil (our house ran out of real oil...)
    Roasted in a 190C oven for 10 minutes, then added the veggies to the pan. In hindsight, I would've roasted for 15, then added carrots, waited 10 minutes and added potatoes, and then waited another 10 minutes for the sweet potatoes.

Roasted for another 30-40 minutes after that. Halfway through, there weren't enough juices in the pan, so I added a little butter. Sprayed again with cooking oil.

Removed roast from pan, and put the veggies back in for another 5-10 minutes at about 220C.
  13. pygmalion

Yummy Crock Pot Pinto Beans (In the interest of full disclosure, I made this recipe up using Paul Deen's recipe as a starting point and googling other nifty ideas I found online.)

Stuff to go in the beans
    2 pounds dried Casserole Brand Pinto Beans (You can use any brand. I like these because they are very clean compared to other brands I've tried.)
    Two cans of vegetable broth (about four cups)
    four cups of water
    Paul Deen's house seasoning (1 part black pepper, 1 part garlic powder, 4 parts salt)
    Two teaspoons chili powder
    A very large onion, finely chopped
    A few ribs of celery, finely chopped
    4 or five slices of bacon (I usually use the microwave bacon, just because the first time I made this recipe, I was short on cooking time. I've seen plenty of recipes where you just put the bacon in there raw.)
    One 15 - 16 ounce jar of prepared salsa. I usually use medium. It gives the beans a tiny bit of a kick, but only the most sensitive souls would have a problem with that much jalapeno, IMHO.

(You can also cut the recipe in half, but why would you want to? These beans freeze very well. They also make a mean refried bean, breakfast burrito, etc. The possibilities are endless, so I just use my giant crock pot. *grin*)

How to make the beans
    Wash the beans, then soak at least a few hours, but preferably overnight (or, if you're short on time, you can parboil them)
    After soaking, drain the water, rinse and drain the beans a couple times
    Place beans in a crock pot that's larger than you think you will need (For two pounds of dry beans, I use a seven or eight quart crock pot)
    Add liquid -- I like to use a combination of water and veggie broth, but you can use either or. FTR, though, the veggie broth seems to add a bit of flavor without adding calories or other bad stuff. The amount of liquid above works in my crock pot, but feel free to adjust. Just make sure that the liquid completely covers the beans with an inch or so to spare. Not too much liquid, though, or the bean broth will be thin. This is a crock pot recipe. No opportunity for boiling off the liquid.

Add all the other ingredients, stir well, cover and cook. About 6 hours on high, 10 - 12 hours on low. And big yay for no worry about burnt beans. (For the house seasoning, go easy. You can always add more, if needed. Also, the seasoning tastes more intense after a day or so. I usually start with a couple teaspoons, then correct the seasoning (read: add more seasoning) later.

I usually cook these one day, correct the seasonings, then refrigerate them overnight for dinner the next day. This is another one of those recipes that really does taste better after the food sits for a while.
  14. pygmalion

A couple things:

One. Paula Deen's recipe looks super yummy, by the way. She doesn't use salsa, broth or celery and she uses ham hocks or fat back/streak o lean instead of bacon. And she uses about twice as much meat as I do. But she's a Southern belle, and I was trying to adapt the recipe for a Tex Mexican party. Plus I cannot in good conscience use ham hocks. Just the thought of ham hocks grosses me out. Pigs cheeks? Ewww. Yes, smart alecks. Ham hocks = gross. Bacon = groovy.

Two: Any thoughts on making this recipe vegan friendly? (other than just taking out the bacon, obviously?) That bacon adds quite a bit of flavor, but oh how guilty I felt, when I saw my pescetarian (sp?) GF pass right by my beans, at a party. It would be so nice if there was something that would add a bit of flavor without adding pork.
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I know Cooks Illustrated usually uses a combo of sautéed mushrooms, tomato paste, and soy sauce to boost "meatiness". Perhaps that could work here.
  16. pygmalion

Maybe I should try some of those canned mushrooms everybody seems to hate. lol *ducks and runs*
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

help! I've only ever in my life time made "stuffing" - yes, not dressing, stuffing, as in stuffed into the "bird". Although the bird has been everything from Wild Turkey (family of hunters in the dad-folk) to Wild Goose to even Pleasant,,and yes some years of the domestic frozen store purchased turkey. DS has asked that I bring homemade dressing for 25 people for Thanksgiving...and I'm sitting here scratching my head...dressing is made outside of the bird-I got that, but how? pre-bake...then finish it elsewhere? what is a good recipe that leaves a moist dressing,,,can I take it in a crock-pot to keep it warm before and during the meal? Anyone out there know of any really great "dressing" recipes? tried and true? THANKS for any help at all.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What on earth would possess you... <<missing my favorite emoticon from the old DF... :tongue: >>
  19. pygmalion

Just trying to annoy you. Did it work? :D
  20. pygmalion

Oh yeah and re: Paula Deen's house seasoning. Her recipe for it involves (IIRC) a cup of salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, and 1/4 cup garlic powder. You can mix up a large batch and keep it up to six months for use in various recipes. I have mine in a mason jar in the fridge. Comes in handy. :)