Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

btw sorry, 3w. I have no dressing recipe, because my recipe = go to Mom's house. Eat. That's not very helpful, I'm guessing. Hers is an old-fashioned, down home, "cornbread" recipe.

She sautees some onion in pan drippings from the turkey, adds liquid, brings that to a rolling boil, then whisks in yellow cornmeal. That much I'm sure about. What else she does, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that sausage grease and black pepper are involved. I'll ask her, next time I talk to her.

Then she stuffs the turkey with some of the mixture and puts quite of bit of the mixture in the pan around the turkey. Then she bakes it until the dressing is toasty light brown on top. So, technically speaking, she's making stuffing and dressing at the same time. I'll have to ask her about the timing. I know she doesn't stuff the raw bird (that would be dangerous, since she cooks her bird VERY slowly.) But I can't remember when in the process she adds the stuffing/dressing. I'll ask. :cool:

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've got a few recipes for dressing. Lemme see if I can dig them out and then I'll post them for you.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Not at all.

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Garlic powder...now that's a blast from the past! :)

5. pygmalion

Darn! All my machinations gone to waste. ;)

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Dressing > stuffing anyway--less chance of getting sick from incomplete cooking.

You bake it in a pan. I heard Alton Brown actually stuffs it back into the bird after roasting, then finishes off the exposed end with a torch so it looks like it roasted in the turkey. He sticks an open-ended tin can into the bird before roasting, and uses it as a funnel to stuff the dressing in after roasting is complete.

7. pygmalion

Yep. Alton Brown did an interview on NPR this week or maybe late last week. He is not a fan of stuffing. Dressing it is.

I also went to a Thanksgiving-tips interview with an executive chef (who does R&D for a household name food manufacturing company) just before Thanksgiving last year. He also is not a fan of stuffing, because of the potential for bacterial growth inside the cavity. But, according to him, if you absolutely insist on making stuffing, you should not completely fill the cavity but, instead, leave some room for air circulation above the stuffing, inside the bird. I forget the rationale behind it (although he did have what seemed like a good one at the time,) but it's something to do with retarding growth of bacteria.

8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Peaches, ANYthing would help right now. Recipes would be great (PM me if they are too long to post). Pyg and others, yes, stuffing expands as the "bread" items absorb the liquid so don't pack the bird, we've never in 4 generations had any issues with making stuffing inside the bird and we use bulk sausage as well. Dressing is another thing, entirely, I'm truly concerned about it drying out, which recipe if any is a tried and true type, also is it meant to be toasty/crisp on the top like a casserole?

9. Peaches

I grew up the exact opposite: I have never in my life had actual stuffing. I grew up eating dressing (although we called it stuffing), and that's all I've ever had since moving out on my own. Interesting, the different traditions in families, eh? Anyway.

Here's the simplest, to start you out. This is what I grew up eating and, even though it's filled with shortcuts I think it's still what I prefer. Pretty tasty, and easy.

• Stuffing mix. For my preference, the less seasoned the better (no Stove Top--I think Peppridge (sp?) Farm is pretty good, if you get the more plain stuff).
    • Celery and onion, chopped-ish.
    • Packages of brown gravy mix. (Maybe 1 packet or so for every box/bag of stuffing mix?)
    • Seasoning (sage is usually pretty good).
    • Broth (veggie, chicken, whatever), or water.
    • Stuff to add in--we always added dried cranberries, but there's no reason you couldn't add other stuff. I don't know what other people usually add...sausage, maybe? Nuts of some sort? Shrug.

1. Preheat your oven to...something. 350 would probably work. It doesn't much matter.
    2. Grease/spray with cooking spray a large casserole dish. Or, since you're making it for 25 people, one of those disposable roasting pans works well. Just make sure it's greased really well.
    3. Sautee the celery and onion (plenty of it) until it's nice and softened.
    4. Mix the dry stuffing mix and the celery/onion in a large bowl until combined.
    5. Sprinkle the gravy mix over, along with the seasoning, and stir it up.
    6. Add your broth or water until things are moistened. I don't know how much, just go by feel. You'll be baking it anyhow, so I'd suggest starting off a little more moist rather than less.
    7. Taste it, adjust seasoning. Add in your other stuff (cranberries, etc.).
    8. Nibble it a bit, because stuffing is tasty.
    9. Put it into the baking dish.
    10. Cover it with foil and bake until it's nice and hot. (If the oven temp is higher, cook for less time; if it's lower, cook for longer.)
    11. When it's hot, take the foil off and let the top get nice and browned and crunchy and until it's about as dry/moist as you like it to be.
    12. (Or, you can probably reverse the foil on/foil off order of operations. Cook it with the foil off, then when it's browned, put the foil on to keep it from browning more. It doesn't really matter.)
    13. Voila!
    14. When people aren't looking, nibble some more from around the edges. Quality control. And cuz stuffing is just freakin' tasty.
    15. Have a nibble for me.

I've looked for the others, but my quick glances have failed me. I'll keep looking. But this will, at least, get you started.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

For curiosity's sake, since I am just beginning to put together the menu for my family's first-ever All Raw Vegan Thanksgiving dinner, and came across one of my own recipes for stuffing whilst doing a search...

Another Kind of Holiday Stuffing :)

11. Peaches

Oooh, yum! I don't know how I'd feel about having it instead of the traditional stuffing (I get ridiculously traditional when it comes to holiday meals.), but I'm loving the idea of it as just a salad for everyday, or as a side dish! It looks so good! Thank you!

samina likes this.
  12. pygmalion

@Peaches. Absolutely loving steps 8, 14 and 15 above. I like the way you think, sister! Wouldn't be Thanksgiving without nibbling. Period.

13. pygmalion

Ooh! I didn't know shortcuts were allowed. I used to make a pretty tasty dressing** that used packaged Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice, plus browned pork sausage crumbles. It's been years since I made that, but I remember most of the details. I'll do a quick google and see if I can fill in the blanks in my memory.

** It had to be dressing because Mom's cornbread stuffing had dibs on the bird.

14. pygmalion

This is not exactly it, but it's close. The one I used to make didn't have parsley, but, other than that, this is it. And did you notice the reference to a crockpot? *wiggly eyebrows*

WILD RICE-SAUSAGE STUFFING
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. seasoned long-grain wild rice mix
    1 lb. bulk pork sausage
    1 1/2 c. sliced mushrooms
    1 1/2 c. chopped onion
    1 c. bias cut celery
    1 (8 oz.) pkg. herb seasoned stuffing mix
    1/2 c. snipped parsley
    1 tsp. poultry seasoning

Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, brown sausage partially in large skillet - drain off fat, all but 2 tablespoons. Add mushrooms, onion and celery to sausage. Saute until celery is tender. Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions.
    In large bowl, combine stuffing mix, rice mix, sausage mixture, parsley and poultry seasoning. Toss to combine. Put in large casserole. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. (Can also use a crock pot.)

15. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Working from memory here ... this is pretty close to what I do, except:
    5. no gravy mix (people who like gravy add it at the table)
    6. include a bottle or two of beer as part of the liquid (I learned this from DH's father)
    7. include an apple or two, chopped into bite-size pieces

Or whatever ... it usually works out fine.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

(chopped water chestnuts are also great in stuffing/dressing)

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Love me some wild rice stuffing!

18. Peaches

Hmmm...I've never had wild rice stuffing. Maybe I'll make that this year instead of the traditional stuff. The crock bit bit is especially tempting. (I had to call dad last night and ask for suggestions on oven management for Thanksgiving. Usually it's been pot-luck, or I've been working with multiple ovens. But DH's parents are not the sort to, you know, actually bring anything to dinner other than their appetite...late. Not that I'm bitter about this year at all. Not.one.bloody.effing.bit.)

19. pygmalion

It's a very yummy alternative. :cool:

20. Peaches

It looks like it's make-ahead-able. Is it? I suppose I could just cook the rice and sausage and stuff the day before, then crock-pot assemble it the day of. Hmmm...