Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You probably could, but I dunno. Never tried that. I do know that you can buy pre-cooked sausage crumbles in the grocery store refrigerator case. (I forget how big the packages are, but I remember thinking that each bag is probably roughly equivalent to a pound of raw sausage, minus grease drainage.) No need to bother with browning your bulk sausage, if you buy the vacuum packed, precooked stuff. The downside is that the pre-browned sausage doesn't have any excess grease, which is simply awesome for use in other recipes, or if this stuffing starts to dry out (which I wouldn't worry about, if I was using a crock pot.)

Prep only takes about half an hour. The oven or crock pot part, you can do at your destination. I prefer oven, because I like the crispy bits of dressing on top. But, in a crock pot, you basically would end up with stuffing -- moist all over. OR, if you're into win-win, you could do the oven part at home, transfer to a crock pot, then take the finished dish to your parents' house and plug in to warm until it's time to eat.

And, regardless of when or how you make it, I would make the rice a tad on the wet side, so the finished stuffing doesn't end up dry.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the ideas, and since I have some time, I've got the "test" kitchen thing going on.
    I think I'm going to keep it warmed in the Crock Pot Low, then people can just dig in.

3. pygmalion

Let us know what you decide. :cool:

Okay. So, since we're sharing holiday recipes, I'm looking for two. 1) Something new and imaginative to do with sweet potatoes. IIRC, Jude posted a savory recipe for them earlier in this thread. I'll find that, but really wouldn't mind hearing about what other folks do, if anything.

2) Yummy dips. I totally don't eat dips, but have a few holiday gatherings where I have to provide them. I really don't want to wimp out and serve something out of a jar ... again. :oops:

In the interest of full disclosure, I also bought this nifty thing (A Little Triple Dipper) and feel compelled to use it. Three 16-ounce mini-crock pots. Perfect for warm dips.

[​IMG]

4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I have not made this in decades, b/c I just don't eat like this any more, but I remember it being ridiculously delicious.

Artichoke "Napalm"

1 C grated parmigian; good cheese, grate fresh, it makes a difference, <soapbox alert> but if you must use pre-grated, please, please, go for something other than the stuff that's sold in a green cardboard can;I mean, really, that is not cheese, it's not even "cheese food", it's sawdust with chemical cheese flavor and tastes like you're driving down I-95 in Newark on a hot summer day<end soapbox>
    3/4 C mayo
    1 8-oz can artichoke hearts, NOT MARINATED, this is important, so I repeat: NOT MARINATED
    garlic powder to taste
    paprika for color

Mash parm, artichokes, mayo together; sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Into oven at 325 for somewhere between half an hour and 45, depending on how hot you want it. I have never yet found anything dipped into this that didn't taste good.

Considering your nifty dip holder thingy, I'd probably mix the garlic powder in, heat it all up, then decant into your NDH and sprinkle with paprika afterward.

5. j_alexandra

Stuffing is an in-the-bird event around here, and I am enjoined to make it the way my mother made it, which is how her mother made it, yea unto the generations etc etc. and it's pretty straightforward: sage 'n' onion. But the onions are sauteed in bacon fat first, which contributes amazing flavor, and I moisten the bread cubes with chicken stock. So: saute lots of chopped onion in bacon fat until onions are soft but not brown; add bread cubes; shake on a ton of powdered sage; sprinkle with stock and toss until bread is moist but not soft, and onions and sage are evenly distributed. I'd give proportions, but that depends on the size of the bird and this recipe is one of those "until it looks right" recipes. My mother's mother was a terrible cook; her lamb stew and stuffing are the only recipes I kept. Oh, and the French Silk Pie. To die for. But I digress.
    I have sometimes, on request, made extra dressing in a baking dish so there would be leftovers to put on turkey sandwiches (gag), but that required actually doing something to the dressing while the turkey was cooking (basting, adding liquid, covering, checking on it, etc). I have a laissez-faire attitude to turkey roasting*, so Doing Stuff to other things in the oven is not on my agenda.

*Stick bird in oven. Take out when done. Pretty much my entire recipe. No brining, no frying, no seasoning other than salt and pepper, no basting, no turning, no poking, no worrying, and cooks in about half the time, is moist and flavorful (even frozen supermarket turkeys taste good). But then, I have a Super Sekrit Tekneek that makes this possible. Mwahahahaaaaaaaa

samina likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I have a similar recipe that uses a packet of onion soup instead of the garlic powder.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Not really a warm dip, but there's no reason you couldn't serve it warm:

Addictive Onion Dip

1 Tbsp. bacon grease or oil
    3 cups diced onions
    salt (for sweating)
    16 oz cream cheese, softened
    3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
    1 cup mayo
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp pepper
    salt to taste

1. Heat the grease in a heavy pan over mediumheat until shimmering. Add onions and sprinkle with salt. Sweat until onions are translucent and starting to fall apart. Raise heat* and cook until dark brown, stirring frequently.** Cool to room temp.

2. Whip cream cheese and vinegar until smooth and a little fluffy. Add everything else, including onions. Stir or whip to combine. Adjust salt and vinegar, to taste.

3. Refrigerate overnight.*** Stir before serving.

*debatable
    **Seriously, do not rush this. You want them to be the color of mahogany, and for us it takes about an hour or an hour and a half. But so worth it.
    ***Do not skip this. It needs at least a day to meld. Two days is even better.

8. Peaches

Regarding stuff to do with sweet potatoes--

Peaches's Dad's Aunt Maggie's Candied Sweet Potatoes

Parboil sweet potatoes, whole. Drain, peel, and cut.
    Note: Don't cut them very small. Halved, quartered, or eighthed is good, depending on how big the potato was to start with. They will shrink down about 40%, so you don't want to cut them too small to start and end up with mush. Not that mush would be bad, mind you.

Dump the sweet potatoes in a wide, shallow pan. They should be in one layer, but it's not the end of the world if they aren't.

In a saucepan, mix up some water, honey, maple syrup, some vanilla, some cinnamon, maybe a bit of molasses, some brown sugar, a little bit of orange and/or lemon juice...whatever. If it's sweet, add it. If you like the spices with sweet potatoes, add some of them. This is to taste, so taste the liquid and adjust it. Heat the liquid just to make sure that everything dissolves nicely. You need to have enough liquid to float the sweet potatoes in the pan--it should seriously be about brimming over. Up the water if you need to, and adjust the sweet stuff accordingly.

Pour the liquid over the sweet potatoes. Bake, spooning liquid over the potatoes periodically, and flipping/rearranging the potato bits if they're browning too much. Keep baking. Bake it some more. It's not quite done, so keep baking. You want the sweet potatoes to have shrunk, the liquid to have simmered down and sunk into the sweet potatoes, and for everything to be gooey and sticky and freakin' awesome. You're done when the potatoes are about the consistency of...oh, I dunno...maybe a ripe avocado? and the sauce is about the consistency of maple syrup.

Et voila. Serve with a side of insulin. And don't share with people you don't like...you'll only resent them for it.

9. pygmalion

Oh my goodness. I can relate to this. My Mom is the world's worst cook. Think burned boiled eggs. Burned rice. Burned beans. Burned ... burned stuff lol But she can cook a mean turkey and stuffing, AND she is very, very secretive about her magic touches. This is how I managed to learn to cook virtually everything she can only better EXCEPT turkey and stuffing. She's got her secrets and she ain't sharing. lol. I love that old bat. :)

10. pygmalion

Thanks for the dip recipes, folks. :)

11. pygmalion

Oh what a hoot! What would Thanksgiving be without insulin on the side? *grin*

12. pygmalion

I guess I should add something in defense of my Mom. She's from that "close your eyes and think of England" generation, when it comes to stuff like cooking, cleaning and ironing. Ironing she loves. Cooking and cleaning, not so much.** Despite the fact that she hates cooking, my Mom faithfully cooked an edible meal for a family of as many as ten (Mom, Dad, siblings and sometimes grandmom) every day for decades, without complaining. It was her job and she did it. So who am I to complain about her burnt beans? I LOVE cooking and still manage to burn the beans, sometime. Or at least I did until I discovered cooking beans in a crock pot. (Yay for crock pots!!)

I would love to sit in on one of ccm's classes one of these days, when they talk about the evolving role of women, as it pertains to stereotypical household chores aka "women's work." It would be very interesting to see what people from the current college-age generation have to say. I suspect there would not be a lot of thoughts of England, but who knows?

** (Sex we're not going to talk about. This is my Mom. Immaculate conception. Seven times y'all. Just go with me on this. *grin*)

13. pygmalion

Okay. So I think I'm going to go with the onion dip and the artichoke dip (Both sound reeeally good, even for the likes of me, a non-dipper.) I think I'm going to add a sweet dip, if I can find a suitable recipe. And then serve with fruit, veg, pita chips (maybe Ruffles if I sell out) and toasted crusty bread.

I am so tired of salsa and salsa con queso.

14. j_alexandra

That would be different, but probably also yummy. But is it salty?

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, would you Pyg, try something completely different? instead of sweet Dip....buy some red flameless grapes (typically they are sweet) and Prosciutto packaged ham, rinse, dry grapes. As many as you want, remove ham from pgk (it separates like bacon), trim fat line off and split/cut the strip in half. Place grape at one end of cut strip...roll grape up in Prosciutto...anchor with fancy toothpick. Make as many or as little as you want, it is a n easy bite for many and sweet with salty is pretty popular waiting for the dinner to hit the table, I normally will make (3) grape bites per person.
    They disappear in a flash.

16. pygmalion

Oh my goodness! I am so going to try that! It sounds yummy.

I used to make a really yummy cocktail shrimp wrapped in prosciutto.** I stopped when I developed potentially life-threatening anaphylaxis to shrimp. (Don't think I haven't had some serious thoughts about whether it's worth dying to have another shrimp. Oh yeah. I have. I looove shrimp.) I've also had apple slices wrapped in prosciutto. Sweet apple or sour. Both yummy. Of course I'm gong to try grapes!!

This holiday season, my group of friends and I have decided to try to keep the cost of our partying in the reasonable range by doing a couple of appetizer-only parties, rather than having a full meal. So I will definitely be using the dip and appetizer recipes here, plus probably a few more.

** Yes. I know, Peaches. Shrimp = creepy underwater critters. I know. I just happen to like creepy critters.

17. pygmalion

Just curious. Has anybody ever tried a butterflied turkey? I had never heard of it (Butterflied, yes. Butterflied turkey, No.) until the Alton Brown interview on NPR last week. And even then, I never considered it, until some guy wrote in that he and his family didn't arrive at their Thanksgiving destination until 7:00 PM and were desperate to eat their holiday meal. So they butterflied their bird and it cooked in forty-five minutes. This I've gotta try. Not on Thursday, cause I'm paranoid ... errr .. cautious, when it comes to holidays. But they're selling birds for cheap, here. I think I'm going to try butterflying one of my extras, just for chuckles.

This is more complicated than the dealie that was on NPR, but it's the basic idea.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...d-root-vegetable-panzanella-recipe/index.html

18. Peaches

Tried it? No. But there is a Cook's Illustrated version of same. I trust CI.

As regards shrimp as icky underwater spider critters, I have long-since resigned myself to the fact of people eating--and even liking!--such things. DH is thawing shramps (what we call them around here) as we...er, speak.

Oh, we have decided to go ahead with your wild rice dressing for Thanksgiving. :) Crock pots for the win! And, why not try something different? It's only the four of us (DH, me, and his parents), so it's the ideal time to try out different stuff.

19. pygmalion

Cool. Let me know how you like the dressing. I haven't made it in years because, since the departure of the ex, I've usually just gone to someone else's place and basically bought a poinsettia and a bottle of wine. And the years when I've stayed home, it was either just me and DS or me, DS and the beau. And the beau is not a fan of pork (silly man!) And making two kinds of dressing for two or three people is just overkill. *sigh*

Long story short. I think it's yummy. I hope you enjoy. :cool:

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Spatchcock!