Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I am, in general, not a big fan of sweet sweet potato recipes. I'm fairly certain that it was the traditional holiday sweet potato-marshmallow dish that lead me to spend the first 20+ years of my life thinking that I didn't like sweet potatoes. That said, if you're open to out and out desserts rather than side dishes, sweet potato pies are pretty awesome. If you'd like, I could dig up a trusted recipe for one.
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My son made his first Turkey dinner last night, traditional Thanksgiving fare to make way for the raw business on the official holiday...and he did such a great job, was one of the best T-day dinners I've ever had. I had persuaded him to keep everything S.I.M.P.L.E, as he is wont to get into "gourmet=complex" mode. But:

Turkey: Butter, salt & pepper. High heat, low heat, long blast at the end. Baste once. Uber-moist & wonderful.

Homemade gravy: Drippings, fresh stock, flour, salt, pepper, milk.

"Stuffing": Unseasoned cubes tossed with onions & celery that were sauteed in butter. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, thyme, chopped apple and dried cranberries. Back in casserole dish for one hour. Simple, light and delicious.

Brussel sprouts: Sauteed in bacon fat & butter, with salt & pepper, bit of water added. Best sprouts I've ever eaten.

Potatoes: Sweet potatoes baked whole, served at the table with raw walnuts & pecans, sucanat sugar and butter. Wow.

And capped with my own deep-dish Pumpkin Custard Pie, which was the best pie I've ever made.

T-day simplicity. :)
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

yummm. way to go, #1 Son!
    samina likes this.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Done chicken this way; I assume turkey would require more time, lower flame. But I bet it's good.
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I <3 sweet potato potato pie. :)
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I would think it would take less time to roast.
  8. pygmalion

Not challenging you, but I just gotta ask. That's counterintuitive for me, Joe. Why would turkey take less time than chicken?
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I suspect Joe is comparing BBQ spatchcocking vs spatchcocking in an oven...though I could be wrong.
  10. pygmalion

Ah. That makes sense. Thanks. :)
    samina likes this.
  11. pygmalion

Checking in to say that this thing is freaking awesome! I haven't made the dip recipes yet (I have a party on the 7th? 8th? where I'll be making those.) But I did take this to my GFs for Thanksgiving yesterday and it was a big, big hit with the pre-dinner chip and dip crowd.

I bought it for $17, but I think it's usually about $30 and worth every last penny, IMHO, if you entertain. The only down side is that there is only one temperature control for all three pots, so you have to make sure that there's something in each of the three pots. BUT there is also a full size Triple Dipper you can buy which has one-quart crockpots (versus one pint for this baby) and which has separate temperature controls and little slots to put dippy stuff (like crackers, crudites, etc) in.

Very groovy, for holiday season entertaining. My $0.02.
  12. pygmalion

So how did everybody's Thanksgiving stuff turn out? I'm especially interested in the stuffing(s) and the all-vegan extravaganza, but I would love to hear anything anyone is willing to share. :cool:
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But why?
  14. pygmalion

Because when you turn it on, all the crocks heat up. ETA: I suppose you could remove one of the crocks, if you wanted. I didn't want to do that, though. Not aesthetically pleasing. We ended up putting spinach dip in one crock, cheese dip in another, and a little bit of water in the empty crock.
  15. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Our turkey turned out fantastic--beautiful golden brown, crispy, and juicy inside. Practically no effort. Salt, pepper, onions/carrots/herbs in cavity and in bottom of pan, some stock/water poured in the bottom to keep stuff from burning. Flipped twice--started breasts up, flipped for a while, then flipped again and finished breasts up. Sweet potatoes--also fantastic. Buttered carrots--shockingly good for the ridiculously little bit of effort that goes into them. Green beans--gotta find some sort of topping.

I made the sausage and wild rice stuffing. Mixed reviews. I found the bits of sausage, as well as the rice, to be very strange. And I found it overly salty, probably because of the wild rice mix. (I don't salt a damn thing. That, and the little bit that was sprinkled on the turkey is all the salt that got used yesterday.) That said...DH LOVED it and asked for it again. So...interesting.

No dessert. Was going to make cherry cobbler, which could bake while we were eating, but with just DH and me it seemed silly. We have enough leftovers as it is.
  16. pygmalion

Yeah. Uncle Ben's can be very salty. Too bad they don't have a reduced sodium version (that I know of.) Glad your DH liked it. :)
  17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong. It certainly didn't stop me from having more when I had my "second dinner" last night, and I'm about to have some for breakfast this morning. Did I mention that I love stuffing? In pretty much every form? A lot?
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

And how was yours, P?

The all-raw-vegan extravaganza was quite that...an extravaganza...quite a spread, a definite success, but altogether too much work for one person. My oldest son did help out, but for next year I will definitely delegate more of the tasks to others...now that I know what they should be. The tasks & timings of things are very different from the traditional meal. I'll spare you the list of dishes, but there were around 18 of them.

We were all quite full after the 1st course -- that would have suited me fine. But everything in the main meal turned out wonderful. By the end, we were too full for dessert...alas, because it was my coup de grĂ¢ce of the day. Easy as pie to make a spectacular baked pie, if you know the tricks. Easy as pie does not carry over into spectacular raw pumpkin pies.

Single casualty of the meal: I learned why the zucchini in the mashed potatoes should have been peeled. Next time I should follow my own recipe. Too bad, because it's a pretty cool recipe, and would have loved my guests to enjoy it.
  19. pygmalion

it was wonderful. i didn't cook. I went to the home of GF with the same first name, instead. (The one who took me in when I had my strokes early this year. God! I love that girl!! ) I took stuff and helped out around the house and watched the insanity that is GF with fiance and both their families, all in her very modest-sized house. Oh my goodness! Hilarity and drama. Good stuff.

Too funny. I found myself wanting to drive home and get all my buffet servers. Fortunately, i was able to restrain myself. lol. Nobody asked me whether things needed to be kept on a warmer tray, so I managed not to offer my observations.

Dinner was traditional African American fare. (Turkey, stuffing, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, collard greens, sweet potato pie. The usual.) I don't think I'll ever get used to the fact that DS doesn't eat collard greens. (Where have I failed my son? lol) He did eat, thank goodness., but I ended up coming home and making him stir fry for a late afternoon snack. Myeh.

Overall, a most excellent day.
  20. pygmalion

Oh yeah and the sweet potato pie contained what tasted like vanilla extract and nutmeg. Hmm. Not a fan of either. I much prefer lemon extract and cinnamon. Just sayin.