Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's the problem with the crocks heating up?

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Probably nothing. But I remember two spectacular incidents involving crockery -- one a tempered stoneware baking dish, another a pyrex baking dish -- both accidentally heated up empty, both exploded, not when they heated up, but when they came into contact with a cold substance while hot(on air, one water.)

One time was partially Mom's fault and partially my fault. For some reason, Mom used to insist on storing pots and pans in the oven, something I forgot when I went to visit. I heated up the oven, not realizing that a dish was in there, empty. Her baking dish exploded when I opened the oven door. The other was completely my fault. I put some water in a Pyrex dish under some baked goods -- like rolls or something -- to keep the bottoms from burning. The water boiled out, and the pyrex dish exploded when I added some more water.

Why risk it?

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But aren't the crocks removable?

4. pygmalion

Yes, they are. And the server is not nearly as pretty with only two crocks. Seriously. It's triangular with three crocks. It's designed to be pretty on a serving table. Three crocks = pretty and balanced. Two crocks = what the hell? Are they bringing out the other dip soon? lol.

Not aesthetically pleasing with a crock removed, IMHO. I love the dipper thingie but, to be perfectly honest, if I had to choose again, I'd pony up the fifty bucks and buy the one with separate controls.

5. pygmalion

Or I'd only use the triple dipper thingie at my own parties where all the crockpots are filled and all the children are above average. lol.

Note to self: Take extra dip fixins to slacker GFs party, next time. :)

6. pygmalion

Speaking of which, I have a party in two? weeks where I have to bring the nibbles. (GFs are bringing beer and wine and entertainment. I got off cheap.)

I'm thinking I'll use my triple dipper thingie and serve Peaches' Addictive Onion Dip, j_alex's Artichoke Napalm and another warm dip TBD. (I am accepting suggestions.) I'm also planning to use my medium buffet server** for warm meaty type things. (And doing the cold prosciutto thingies -- grapes, apples and shrimp, budget allowing.) Problem? I've run out of ideas for meaty type appetizer things.

Meatballs? Cocktail weinies? No clue over here.

** This is what it looks like -- three 2-quart crock pots with separate controls.

** [​IMG]

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with almonds. Sure-fire winner every single time. Easy to make, easy to partially cook before leaving, easy to finish there. Ridiculously tasty.

Whole almonds--de-skinned. (Blanch, shock, squeeze.)
    Stuff almond in middle of pitted date.
    Cut bacon strips into halves or thirds (depending on center cut or not, or if you've cut off fatty end bit or not).
    Wrap bacon bit around stuffe almond, secure with toothpick.
    Bake until bacon is done.
    Mind the stampede.

8. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Does anybody have a tres leches cake recipe?? i really want to learn how to make it! :)

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I've made it before, lemme see if I can find the recipe I used... Love tres leches cake...

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

The book I used as my reference appears to have gone missing, but here is a recipe (with companion video) that looks pretty good. If it were me using this recipe, I'd (at least) double the quantities of vanilla, and I'd add some rum to the soaking liquid, and definitely NOT dust the top with cinnamon or cocoa.

But looks like a pretty classic rendition, otherwise:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tres-leches-milk-cake/

11. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

thanks Sam! looks delicious! :)

samina likes this.
  12. pygmalion

Basic Southern Collard Greens

Ingredients:

A bunch or two of collard greens
    a hot pod pepper or two (such as cayenne -- red is better than green) some people use black pepper; my Mom thinks this is immoral. lol
    salt
    a couple ribs finely diced celery or a couple spoons of sugar (used for sweetening, especially immature greens, which can be bitter. Some people prefer onion. Very different flavors, though. Celery tends to blend in; onion gives a distinct flavor. You might want to experiment.)
    some sort of meat for seasoning

First, decide what kind of meat you want to use to season your greens. (You can use a ham bone, ham hocks, smoked turkey wings, bacon or bacon grease, fat back/salt/pork, etc. the only requirement is that there must be some sort of meat flavoring or the greens will be bland. You can go vegan and use veggie oil instead, but it really doesn't have the flavor ) If using big hunks of raw meat or bones, start by putting the meat in cold water, bringing it to a boil, then simmering for about an hour.

Get a couple bunches of collard greens (best in the winter because they've survived a frost and are sweeter and more tender.)

Wash the heck out of the greens. Chop off and discard the tough part of the stems. Also, if the greens have very long stems, you might want to chop off and discard some of those, as well, even if they are tender. Too much stem in the pot = not pretty greens. lol.

Gather the greens in handfuls and chop into about 1.5 inch slices (which will translate into bite size chunks of greens on your plate.)

If using big chunks of meat, bring the water back to a boil after an hour or so of simmering time.

If using small bits of meat (such as bacon or salt pork) Put an inch or two of cold water in the bottom of a large, heavy pot (Dutch oven works better than stock pot, unless you're using really heavy pots like Le Creuset. Heavier is better. Heat conduction and all.) Bring the water to boil.

Add your chopped greens to the boiling water. The cold greens will quench the boil, so bring quickly back to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. If you couldn't fit all the greens in on the first try (this happens a lot) open the top after a couple of minutes, squish the already cooking greens down, then add the rest. DO NOT use too much water. Think steaming, not boiling. A lot of the nutrients are in the "pot liquor" so you don't want there to be so much juice that people throw it away. You have enough water if you push the greens down as hard as you can and you just barely see water peeping up over the top. NOT A LOT of water. It bears saying again.

Cover and simmer about half an hour. Add your seasonings (pod pepper, celery, salt, meat if applicable. check your water level (Enough to keep the greens from burning but not much more) Re-cover and steam until tender. Another 45 minutes to an hour.

JudeMorrigan likes this.
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I'll report back in how they turned out. I hope we'll; I LOVE greens, but only discovered them recently. Never had them growing up. Now I just enjoy them at restaurants--Caribbean, or soul food, or Ethiopian. Mmmm.

And then after that, I want to figure out how to cook cabbage like at the Caribbean/soul food restaurant nearby. Oh so good.

Heh. One time at a wine festival some friends and I got lunch from a food truck with...Jamaican food, I think. We were sitting sort if behind the truck, where I think the owners/employees/friends/family of the food truck people were. I was chowing down, as I am wont to do, on the goat curry and greens and cabbage. One of the guys looked at me and asked how "a little white girl learned to eat greens like that!" LOL. Ah, people. I didn't know what to say. I mean, hella yummy food is hella yummy food! Hehehe! :)

14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good recipe for chocolate bread with a breadmaker?

we tried yesterday with the manufacturer's recipe; using cocoa powder, but it didn't taste right, maybe not enough salt and sugar and the bread that came out wasn't an even colour either, so maybe mix the dry ingredients before they go in?

15. pygmalion

Once again with the Artichoke Napalm. Today, we had ten different dips. Of those AN is the ONLY one that got completely consumed, and it was gone in less than half an hour, compared to the nine others that sat around all afternoon. Word of mouth good reviews. It disappeared in a flash.

I may try two different kinds of AN next time -- one with garlic and one with onion soup mix. Either way, I am now known as The Master, or at least I was until I admitted it wasn't my recipe. :D

16. pygmalion

Next party being planned as we speak: Baked potato bar. Problem? I like what I like as a potato topping: Either butter and salt or chili. That's pretty much it. So I googled and found a list of one billion potential potato toppings. I'm thinking that the ideal number, for a make your own baked potato bar, is somewhere between two and a billion.

If you had to come up with short-ish list of potato toppings, what would it be?

I'm thinking something like bacon, sour cream, something involving cheese. Then I hit a brick wall. Thoughts, anyone? And, while we're at it, would you do russets and sweet potatoes, or just keep it simple and stick with russets?

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

we do this all the time; chili, shredded cheese, nacho cheese sauce, butter, sour cream, chives, broccoli, bacon, sauteed mushrooms and onions

18. pygmalion

Great! Thanks. :)

I found some tips online about baking and handling the potatoes. Apparently, they keep warm for hours in a pre-heated cooler chest. Who knew?

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Banana & Coconut milk bread;

approx quantities:
    16 oz flour wholemeal
    butter 1 oz
    salt I tsp
    yeast 2 + 1/4 tsps dried
    1 mashed banana
    1 1/4 cups of coconut milk ( judge by elasticity of dough mix)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    3 tbsp of honey
    1 tsp salt.

best to follow a standard bread or breadmaker recipe.
    i think some raisins would improve it.

20. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I found a really simple recipe for chickpeas, tossed with olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bake them at 450 for 30 minutes.

So okay, sounds really simple. I love chickpeas. I put them on a cookie sheet and I hear them sizzling and popping in the oven but don't think anything of it. When they're done, there is about a third less chickpeas on the cookie sheet, the rest have exploded all over the oven. Good thing, they're crispy, so that made it easy to clean up, once the oven cooled...

What would you do different? If I use more chickpeas and/or a smaller baking pan (like a brownie pan, with higher sides) will that help prevent losing so many? If I cover it with foil, they won't get crispy, will they?

They are tasty. They almost taste like chicken wings with a dry spice rub.