Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

In soup? Seems a bit strange, to have raw veggies floating around in chicken soup.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Besides, some raw veggies are good, but you can keep the raw potatoes. no thanks. :)

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think that after 90 minutes in boiling broth, most veggies have cooked, even as it cools...

4. Peaches

Um...what gets canned, in those recipes, are not cooked veggies. (Reading for comprehension...try it! ;-) :p )

5. Peaches

Navrattan Korma

Since I was typing out these recipes anyway, I might as well add them here.

Navrattan Korma

vegetable/canola oil
    cashews
    golden raisins
    2 grated onions (or food processor-ed until almost pureed)
    1.5 tsp garlic paste
    1.5 tsp ginger paste
    salt
    1 tsp turmeric
    1.5 tsp red chili powder
    1 tsp coriander
    2 tsp garam marsala
    1-2 lg. cans tomato puree
    9 varieties of veggies (steamed if raw; bagged/frozen works fine too--do not have to be thawed)
    1 cup milk

1. Fry cashews and raisins. Remove from pan.
    2. Fry onions, garlic and ginger until brown.
    3. Add salt, turmeric, chili powder, coriander, and garam marsala.
    4. Add tomato puree, cashews and raisins.
    5. Add milk and bring to a boil.
    6. Reduce heat, add all veggies and simmer until flavors meld.

Freezes well.

6. Peaches

Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry

1 onion, chopped
    1 Tbs. garlic
    1 Tbs. ginger
    .5 tsp. cumin
    .5 tsp cinnamon
    1 Tbs. coriander
    .5 tsp. cardamom
    .5 tsp. ground fennel
    2-3 lbs chicken, cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 Tbs. tumeric
    4 tomatoes, chopped
    .5 cup water
    .5 cup milk, heavy cream or yogurt
    .5 tsp paprika

1. Heat oil until shimmering. Add onion and a bit of salt, fry until light brown.
    2. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom and fennel. Cook until fragrant, ~30 sec.
    3. Add chicken. Stir to coat, turn heat to high, and cook though. Ideally, a crust should form on the outside, but may not happen if using a non-stick pan.
    4. Add turmeric, tomatoes, paprica and water. Simmer until sauce thickens. Salt and black pepper to taste.
    5. Remove from heat and add milk/cream/yogurt.

Freezes well.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you peaches...will definately refer back to these

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Looks great. But how much of the 9 mixed veggies?

9. Peaches

Um...enough??? I don't know. I tend to use bagged frozen veggies (corn, lima beans, green beans, green peas) and some fresh stuff (baby carrots cut up, cauliflower (sp?)). I never make it to 9 veggies, cuz I'm not that creative. I just kind of dump some of each in there, and keep dumping more stuff in there until it looks/feels like the right ratio between veggies and sauce. Or until I run out of stuff. *shrug*

10. Peaches

You're welcome. And given that I can, and do, make both of them...you know they're easy!

11. Peaches

Pasta sauce and meatball

Finely chop one onion. Fry in olive oil in heavy stock pot. If they burn, add water and stir. Should end up brown and translucent. Meanwhile (keep adding water to give yourself plenty of time)...

Mix together:
    2.5 lbs ground meat
    ~2-ish handfuls raisins
    ~3-4 oz. pine nuts
    ~2-3 oz cheese, grated
    ground pepper, salt
    ~4-6 eggs (I used 4 egg whites, 2 whole eggs--if using all whole eggs, about 4 should be enough)
    enough breadcrumbs so that the mixture feels sticky but not wet

Form meat mixture into balls.

Add 4-5 large cans peeled, crushed Italian plum tomatoes to onions. Add basil (2-3 Tbs. dried). Rinse cans with water and add. Stir. If desired, add ~1 tsp. beef base. (Not really necessary if using ground beef.)

Fry meatballs in separate pan, using olive oil if necessary. (I used turkey, which didn't have enough fat, so had to use oil.) Not necessary to cook through, but need to be well browned on all sides. Put meatballs in sauce to cook.

If there is plenty of grease left in pan from meatballs, add 1 can tomato paste and fry in grease. Add a bit of water to make it liquid, then add to sauce. If there is not a lot of grease, then add water to the pan to get any pan juices available, then mix in the tomato paste, then add to sauce.

Cook on low/med-low heat for hours, stirring ~20-30 minutes so it doesn't burn. Either leave the lid askew, or use a screen to minimize splattering. Cook and reduce sauce by ~1/2-2/3. If it gets too thick with the meatballs in, take meatballs out and continue reducing. When it becomes extremely thick (almost like tomato paste), be very careful not to burn the bottom. If it starts to burn, DO NOT SCRAPE the burned stuff--push the sauce out of the way, pour water on it, and stir up the burned stuff and stir it into the sauce. Add the meatballs back in, fill to the top with water and stir, and repeat the whole process. Meatballs are done when they're pink in the center from the sauce.

Add a little bit of salt if it tastes flat, add a little bit of sugar if it tastes too sharp.

Instead of meatballs, you can puree roasted red peppers and add that to the sauce. Add balsamic vinegar and a bit more sugar if red peppers are added.

Keep cooking and stirring the sauce for a few days or until you get tired of dealing with it. Can be cooked down very far and frozen, and the thickness adjusted with water when re-heating to serve.

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Pine nuts? Seriously? Whole ones?

13. Peaches

Yep! And raisins, also whole.

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Omg, heavenly in meatballs w/ raisins. Mmmmm...

15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I can see the raisins softening and melting a bit into the meat, but pine nuts? They're not exactly tiny. Interesting....

16. Peaches

Raisins plump up and make things juicy and sweet. The pine nuts add some interesting texture, in addition to the wonderful nutty taste.

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pignoli aren't that big, and if you stew them in the sauce long enough they get quite soft.

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

OK, not exactly a recipe to start out, but just a suggestion. The couscous with chives and saffron and the harvest soup mix from Heini's cheese outlet (heinis.com) are both amazing. The couscous is great all by itself, and the harvest soup mix is great too. That's what I made last night, using the following recipe, modified from their suggested recipe on back of package.

1.5C Harvest Soup Mix
    1C Red Wine (I used cabernet)
    1C chopped carrots
    1C chopped celery hearts
    1C shredded white cabbage
    1C chopped tomatoes on the vine
    1 Boullion Cube
    2Tablespoons worchestire sauce
    3/4lb meatloaf (prepared by bettycrocker recipe, but replaced half ground beef with ground turkey sausage)

Put soup mix, wine, and 7cups of water in big pot and simmer for about 90 minutes.

Chop all the rest and add it in. Don't worry too much about how well you chop the meatloaf, 1" cubes or so. This will break down in the soup as it cooks. Salt and pepper to taste, and let whole mixture simmer for another 90 minutes or so.

Enjoy. More of a stew then a soup. Try it sprinkled with shredded cheese and with some crusty bread on the side. Or even better, in a bread bowl.

19. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Chicken Stew (loosely based on my rabbit stew recipe)

3# boneless skinless chicken breasts
    10 slices bacon
    2 shallots
    2 cloves garlic
    1C red wine
    1/2C zucchini wine (Rather doubt anyone here besides me has this, so any dry white will work :) )
    1 1/2C water
    8oz sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
    Flour
    Salt (to taste)
    Coarse Ground black pepper (to taste)
    Rosemary (to taste)
    McCormick Poultry Seasoning (to taste)

Fry up the bacon, saving grease. Crumble into crockpot.
    Cut chicken into bitesize pieces, coat with flour, salt and pepper.
    Brown the chicken in the saved bacon grease, and add to crockpot.
    Chop shallots, add to crockpot
    Crush garlic with side of knife, then mince, add to crockpot
    Add water, both wines, mushrooms, and rest of seasonings to crockpot
    Simmer all day

Serve over rice, or with bread, etc. Serve red wine to match the cooking wine with the meal.

It's not as good as the original rabbit stew, since chicken isn't as flavorful as rabbit, but still great.

20. Peaches

Man-Catcher Brownies

Taken from the Washington Post staff recipes section. I just tried this recipe tonight. I've got a weak spot where brownies are concerned, and these are fantastic. And super easy! I recommend making these when you've got somewhere to bring them and share them with other people, because there's a lot...and they're hella tasty...and, well, it uses 3 sticks of butter and 4 cups of sugar and 6 eggs...

3 sticks unsalted butter
    2 cups cocoa powder (natural, NOT dutch processed)
    6 eggs
    2 cups white sugar
    2 cups packed light brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
    2 cups flour
    1 tsp. kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x13 pan with foil or parchment paper, then spray with cooking spray.

Melt the butter on medium-low heat. When melted, take off heat and stir in cocoa powder. Allow to cool slightly.

Whisk eggs in large bowl. Stir in sugars. Stir in vanilla. Stir in cooled cocoa mixture.

Fold in flour, being sure not to stir too much.

Pour into pan, spreading into the corners.

Bake 40-45 minutes until a crust forms and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean.

Allow to cool in pan. Wait to cool completely before removing and cutting (yeah, right...HA!).*

*NOTE: Be sure to have plenty of insulin on hand if you're even remotely diabetic, or thinking of becoming diabetic. :)