Recipes thread

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by lynn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

comparing to american pancakes. difference is huge. :cool:

Mixture for pancakes - water or mineral water (which is better), milk (more milk than water), eggs, salt, flour and oil. And if you want you can put cinnamon or cocoa flour or chocolate (it depends what taste you want).

How to make - take some plastic bowl. put eggs (1 person 1 egg), a coffee spoon of salt, 2 dcl (or 1 cup) of water and 3 or 4 dcl of milk,flour and a 1/4 of a cup oil.

And you mix that with a blender.

Mixture need to be rare that much that it will easily spread on a pan ( i have tefal- which is the best).

Each time when you put mixture in a pan, you put a coffee spoon of oil before (so it will not stick on a pan).

And pancakes need to be thin. :cool:

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Definitely different from any pancakes I've had, as mine are never made by a cute redhead. ;)

3. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

:kissme:

If you visit south florida, give me a call. it will be my pleasure to make you a pancakes.
    every time we had party (back home), they will always ask me to make pancakes.

it is easy to make them (when you know how) and it is yummy,yummy. ;)

4. etp777

etp777 Active Member

These are cooling on the stove right now, and edoing a batch of my peanut butter cookies later today. Going to put together trays for my studio and sister's. Assuming I don't eat them all myself,t hat is. ;)

5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

A recent discovery

I found a recipe for a soup that I am enamoured with. As a uni student, I can't go around cooking extravagant meals every day (some days I go by with cereal and sandwiches) but I do my best to cook. I was looking for a nice soup recipe with loads of veggies so that it would be healthy AND freezable (I've come to realise that very few things are just as good when reheated. Soup is usually one of them.)

Copied from http://www.icookfood.com/2007/01/leek-potato-and-carrot-soup.html
    I personally use Knorr stock cubes. I guess it's always better if you make your own stock, but seriously. Who has time for that? o_O I also use olive oil instead of butter. Antioxidants hurrah, also smells gorgeous. First time I made it I was SHOCKED by how good it tasted. The herbs are spot on, too. And how easy it was! If I could do it, anyone can. :D Very satisfying to eat, don't need to eat much to feel sated. Also, how many calories can it possibly have? It's basically veggies, a touch of olive oil and a stock cube.
    I'm making it right now, and gosh it smells amazing. Will have food for tomorow, hurrah!
    Thoughts and ideas? Anyone who tries it, let me know.

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

sangria cranberry sauce
    Prep 15 minutes plus chilling Cook about 30 minutes Makes about 4 3/4 cups
    1 lemon
    1 lime
    1 orange
    1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries (3 cups), picked over
    1 container (16 ounces) frozen strawberries in sugar, thawed
    1 cup red wine
    1 cup sugar
    1. From lemon, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 3 tablespoons juice -From lime, grate 1 teaspoon peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice. From orange, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel and squeeze 1/4 cup juice.
    2. In 3-quart saucepan, combine lemon, lime, and orange peels, cran berries, strawberries with their syrup, wine, and sugar; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until sauce thickens, stir ring occasionally. Stir in lemon, lime, ] and orange juices.
    3. Spoon cranberry sauce into serving bowl; cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours.

7. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

TE, that soup sounds delicious. I will try it.

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

So.... I made Indian pudding. Buttload of recipes out there, so it was a bit of a crap shoot. The result has a much harsher flavor of molasses than I (and I assume most people) would like. Is there anything I can add to help neutralize it and make it more palatable?
    :???:

9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Have a link to the recipe? Not sure what indian pudding is. Doubt I'll be able to help, but might be able to if you link the recipe. :)

Also, did you use the full strength darker molasses or one of lighter milder ones?

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Indian pudding looks like diarrhea but tastes much better :p (well, at the moment, mine doesn't :()
    [​IMG]

This is the recipe that I ended up using:
    Indian pudding
    Despite the title, early New England settlers did not adapt this recipe from native Americans: 'Indian' refers to the 'Indian meal' used - cornmeal, as wheat flour wasn't available. Before you start this recipe, plan ahead. This dessert has a long baking time: three hours altogether, plus another 30 minutes to cool.

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
    3/4 cup water
    4 cups milk
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup dark molasses
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruits like cranberries or blueberries (optional)
    Vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Heavily grease a 1-1/2 quart ovenproof baking dish with butter or lard.

Place 3/4 cup water in a small bowl and gradually whisk in the cornmeal until it is completely mixed and smooth.

Scald 3 cups of the milk in a heavy saucepan (heat until tiny bubbles appear around the edge - don't bring to a full boil) and stir the cornmeal mixture into the hot milk. Reduce heat to low and stir frequently, for 15 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.

Remove from heat. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Stir some of the hot cornmeal mixture into the beaten egg, a spoonful at a time, until you have added about 1/2 cup. (This is to warm up the egg mixture gradually, so the hot cornmeal mixture doesn't cook it too quickly.) Return egg mixture to the saucepan and stir in the sugar, molasses, butter, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and optional raisins or dried fruit. Pour the mixture into the prepared greased dish. Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and gently pour the remaining 1 cup of milk over the top of the pudding. Do not stir in. Bake 2-1/2 to 3 hours longer, or until pudding begins to set. Remove from oven and set aside for 30 minutes to one hour. Pudding will thicken further as it cools. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream. Serves 6.

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Dear expletive deleted; that looks like a recipe with one ingredient added after another to disguise the flavour of the one before.

I suggest a bit of local anaesthetic on your tongue so you don't taste anything.

or use it a a squirrel deterrent/ pesticide.

If you had half a pound or half a sack of cormeal then the flavourings would be in a reasonable proportion but iamgine sprinkling a teaspooon of cinnamon on your latte or cornflakes. inedilble imo. I tried a "health" remedy of a tablespoon of honey with cinnamon sprinkled over; gave me a headache within 5 minutes!

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Heyyyy. I have had some very tasty Indian pudding. Apparently this recipe is not quite so.

13. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

well maybe the indians had something against you folks when they gave yoo the recipe ;)

14. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Indian pudding is very good. Especially warm with ice cream melting on it.

I know nothing of this recipe, though, so I can't say whether THIS Indian Pudding is any good.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

especially for peaches:

just came across my shortbread recipe, from the "walker art center (mpls) cafeteria cookbook". the best shortbread i've had to date:

6 servings

• Cream together 1/2 pound butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Don't overwork or it will become oily.
    • Work in gradually a combination of 1/3 cup cornstarch and 1-2/3 cups flour.
    • Form into 2 balls. Rolls into 1/2" thick circles and place on cookie shieets. Prick the tops with a fork (nice little feather or bird-track pattern). Press the tines of the fork around the end of the circles. Score wedges in the top. I like to press turbinado sugar around the edges. If the dough is very soft, refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
    • Bake at 300 degrees for 40-45 minutes until golden. Do not over-bake. Cut wedges immediately after baking.

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Thank you! I'll have to try that.

Edit to add: Any chance of getting your whoopie pie recipe?

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i believe it may already be in this thread, or somewhere else on the forum. if not...absolutely!

<going to do a search...>

18. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

yes want it too. LOL

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Samina's Whoopie Pies
    2 batches make approximately 25 pies
    (I make 2 batches twice, join the batter, make the cookies, then make 4 batches of filling at the same time)

Chocolate Cookies
    1/2 C. shortening
    2 C flour
    1-1/4 C. sour milk (see below)
    2/3 C. sugar
    2/3 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 extra large egg
    1 t. baking soda
    1 t. vanilla
    1/8 t. salt

Beat shortening with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 of the flour, 1/2 of the milk, the sugar, cocoa, egg, baking soda, vanilla, and salt. Beat in remaining flour and milk until smooth. Drop by rounded tablespoons 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 ° for 8-10 minutes, just until centers are set. Do not overbake. Cool on wire racks.

Vanilla Filling
    3/4 C. milk
    1/4 C. flour (add extra 1/4 C. flour when quadrupling recipe)
    3/4 C. butter
    2 C. powdered sugar
    1 t. vanilla

Combine milk and flour. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; cool thoroughly (I put into a glass pie plae and cool in the freezer). Beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add powdered sugar; beat until fluffy. Add vanilla. Into butter mixture, beat the cooled milk/flour mixture one large spoonful at a time. Beat on high until smooth and fluffy.

To form Whoopie Pies:
    Sandwich 2 large tablespoonsful (generous amount) of filling between two cookies that are matched in size.

To create sour milk:
    For eveery cup of milk, put on tablespoon of white vinegar and fill to 1-cup mark with milk.

Notes:
    Whoopie Pies are best at room temperature. They also freeze very well. Making a quadruple batch takes about three hours...but is worth every minute.:cool:

[edit to add photo]
    [​IMG]

20. emeralddancer

emeralddancer Active Member

I am going to make these this weekend I think. YUM!