regarding heel protectors

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_moogle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

I used to wonder why, in one studio I went to, there were these odd kind of grooved scratches in the floor....

For me, the big reason why I wear heel protectors it to prevent uneven wear on the heel. I tend to roll toward the outside and if I didn't put the suede crosses on the bottoms of the shoes I'd wear off a noticable amount of the outside edge of heel in just one practice session. The uneven wear then makes my tendency to roll outside even worse, compounding the situation on future wearings. The exact same thing happens with plastic heel protectors, but if I use the suede ones the problem goes away completely. It takes me about three or four months to wear through the suede heel protector, and my heels stay flat and even the whole time. As I learn more about using my legs properly and also strengthen the muscles of my inner legs via Pilates this problem has lessened, but the tendency is still there. It used to be so bad that one time years ago I dislocated the heel in a pair of shoes.

2. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Laura, have you tried their new line? I just got mine (Latin) yesterday and the shank is very strong on them. Actually, I think those have the longest shank I've ever seen on a latin shoe, almost extending into the ball of the foot a little bit.
    And do I really not have to wear heel protectors with the Dance Naturals? Yippeeeee! :D Me happy. I think I'll try gluing the suede to the heels anyway, since I have the access to the real shoemaker's glue (Petronio's, in case anyone's wondering. It's really toxic though, so you definitely need proper ventilation to use it).
    Thanks for the tip!

3. Laura

Laura New Member

Soft and firm are kind of relative terms, what's soft for one person is medium for another, and so on. The last time I tried Dance Naturals was last October, it was their normal Standard shoe. My coach noticed a change for the worse in my feet, and mentioned that she knows that when I get tired I tend to roll outward, but this was the worst she'd ever seen and I wasn't even tired yet. That's when I ditched those shoes and tried Diamant. I'm amazed at the difference -- I've tried so many brands and styles of shoe (Freed, Supadance, Coast, Werner Kern, International, Capezio, Dance Naturals) and none of them ever felt right. They didn't sit on my foot properly, or they were too stiff, or too soft, or too tight through the ball, or too loose in the heel. The Diamants fit perfectly, stay on my feet, and were medium-soft. It's amazing to have finally found -- after seven years of searching -- shoes that work for me. I don't have to add pads or non-slip heel grips, I don't have to use elastic bands to keep them on, they just work. What a relief.

4. jojobubble

jojobubble New Member

I found something better than a good pair of shoes- a good shoemaker. He's this little old man that can do absolutely anything with a shoe, the only problem is that i don't know what I'll do when he can't adjust my shoes for me anymore... after all he is 75. Oh no! :eek:

5. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Supadance makes heel protector with or without suede at the bottom.
    you can get them at danceshopper.com

6. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Laura, I am so jealous! Although my new shoes come pretty close, I've still yet to find the heaven you're describing. :( Then again, my feet don't seem to be the kind most shoemakers have in mind. I'll keep looking! :car:

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You and most everyone else. :)

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i must confess i have never tried heel protectors...

i read thru this thread and am wondering if they're really necessary...

when i ordered my supadance, i also ordered some heel protectors to try, but they arrived & were flared rather than for a slim heel, so i never tried them. it sounds like a lot of the ladies here really wear their heels. i was looking at mine and they seem okay.

is that because i'm not doing my heel leads properly, i wonder, or because i'm getting over my legs well? the latter would be nice, but i suspect the former...:rolleyes:

anyway, am gonna bring this up with my pro to see if i'm technically on as i should be, and what he recommends...

9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think once you know what you are doing it's neither here nor there....though I like them at comps b/c those floors are very hard on shoes...however, when I was a newer newb they were nearly essetial b/c of the way I mistakenly tried to implement what I thought was good technique...I would go through one pair at ever standard lesson...I still use alot of foot pressure and I think it not only saves my shoes somewhat but also makes them less likely to slide when I hit a seam in the comp florr...but I rather doubt it matters much now....having said that, right after I said much the same about the plastic strips that you can use to keep your shoes on, i nearly lost a shoe at heritage...meh, 6 of one, half dozen of another

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've been reading this and wondering the same thing. Granted, I don't take as many lessons as most other people here...and I don't practice in them (when I practice :rolleyes:)...and I don't wear them for social dancing. But still and all...

I keep looking at mine...and thinking about various threads on D-F...and looking at mine...and thinking I've got to be doing something wrong b/c they're not very worn. And they seem to be wearing relatively evenly...which is very strange for me. I, too, am wondering if I'm really not doing things right.

Er...correction...I KNOW I'm really not doing things correctly, but I'm wondering what I need to be doing instead, to be destroying the heels on my court shoes more effectively.

11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I glue pieces of suede on the heels, this seems to work OK.

12. fascination

peaches, I think it is mainly about foot pressure...i doubt it is worth worrying over

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that's what i thought of trying, if i decide to go for some protectors

14. Peaches

The whole foot pressure thing baffles me. Oh well. I guess I'm just not advanced enough at this point to be worrying about it. God knows I've got plenty of other problems to be working on in the meantime. I figure I pay my teacher enough money to tell me when I need to be worrying about various things...until he brings it up, I'm pretty content to let it be off my radar.

15. fascination

well, exactly...most pors I know have an order in which they begin to focus on things...one good thing about it thought is that it greatly enhances your balance and creates far more time in a measure

16. Peaches

Egad. Balance I can use more of. As it is, though, I'm already trying to figure out what to do with most of the time on my hands. My current understanding is "more shaping"...but translating that from what my brain understand to what my body is doing is an absolute [bolero] of a project. Damn slowfox.

17. fascination

more shaping, more time over standing leg, longer stride w/ more flight and swing...you will love it eventually...am in a new season w/intl FT....yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've been using the "suede stars" for a while now, and they've made a world of difference in my heel tips! Of course, not exactly the prettiest on my tan shoes, hehe! On my black shoes, I use black suede and black electrical tape. Can't really see unless you're looking for it. On my tan shoes, I use tan suede, and some weird "flesh" colored medical tape, that doesn't match at all. Need to find some truly flesh colored tape with just a smidge of stretch. Plain scotch tape works, just harder to get it good and tight though.

19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

For standard and smooth I buy the supadance slim heel protectors with the suede already attached. If I get the ones without suede I can go through a pair of heel protectors in one day.

For latin I go with the non-suede covered protectors and they only get unevenly worn if I am doing a lot of Paso heel leads (and well - when I get carried away and start dancing smooth in my latins at the spur of the moment because I love the song they're playing).

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

this i echo. loudly. YUM. omg.