regarding heel protectors

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_moogle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Josh

Josh Active Member

Out of curiosity, what were you doing that you thought was good technique, and what are you doing differently?
  2. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Try using clear medical tape. That's what I use on mine and it's not as visible as white or other colored.

I've recently started using the suede stars. I was using the plastic caps before, but they wore out soo unevenly and soo quickly. So I switched, and the suede stars definately last longer. It's funny, when I was a newbie and for a long time as a beginner, I never wore the caps and never had to worry about replacing them. Now, if I use those now, I easily go through a pair every couple practices, where the suede ones last me weeks (and they're cheaper :))
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well, when I was a total newb I tended to cut a huge line on the floor moving from my feather to my heel turn and then did my heel turn quite litterally on my heel only...it was hell on the right outer heel tip......uh, now well, I am less violent about it...and certainly not back into my heel as much as before;)
  4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Especially if you make your own!:cool:
  5. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

my plastic heel protectors come with suede on the bottom...:cool:
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Not for long. ;)
  7. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Ah, but I bought a box of them. Pop them on, wear them out, pop them off, pop new ones on. Two seconds and I'm good to go... :D
  8. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Actually the ones with the suede seem to last a lot longer but I have not been able to find them. Where did you get the box of them?
  9. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Bought them online...now, mind you, they are for standard shoes(supadance) that have slim heels. I dont remember the exact place I got them from...when I go home I can look for my receipt and PM you. But in the meantime, if you do an online search for "plastic heel savers with suede tips" it will pull the websites up that sell them. They come 5 pairs in a box for $30 or something like that. I dont know if the other brands sell them, though, and I dont know if they make them for flared latin shoes. I just use the regular plastic ones without suede on my latin shoes and have never had problems. But thats just me...I like being able to pop the plastic ones on and off and not having to make my own(I'm not creative and time is an issue for me)...plus at my studio they glow an eerie purple when I'm at the dance parties and they have the blacklights on and the regular lights down low. hee hee!
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Actually I ordered mine online directly from www. supadance.com (in the accessories/shoe care section of the website) stargazer. Yes, they ship them from England, but I found the service to be quite quick (and I just order three boxes at a time and I'm good).
  11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

showtimedanceshoes. they were $20 for 5 pairs.
  12. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

I personaaly think that for some reason they do look worse on the latin shoes i don't know why though...
  13. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

personal preference, I suppose...

I have always seen alot of the plastic heel protectors used at competitions and social dances so I've never found them unsightly. Just my opinion, of course, but I think the tape looks worse. Again, though, its all personal preference.... :)
  14. lil glam gal

lil glam gal New Member

I don't know, but i have never seen the tape used. If anybody has a picture they would like to show me of that sort of heel protector that would be very welcome. I've almost always worn the plastic heel protectors on my ballroom shoes but my teacher has never let me wear them on my Latin shoes..
  15. shallidance

shallidance New Member

Actually I was wondering whether those high-level dancers wear heel protectors, and if yes, what kind. I have watched videos such as IDSF competitions carefully and these ladies do not seem to wear them? Or not noticeable at all?
  16. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

Has anyone tried the Supadance heel protectors with suede on the bottom? Are they comfortable? Do they feel different/better/worse than the regular heel protectors?

I haven't been using heel protectors because I didn't like the feel of the rubber at first, but my heels have suffered and I definitely need caps now. I was thinking of using them for both my latin and standard shoes. The reason I'm looking at the suede is because I tend to wear away my heels unevenly on the outside (darn supination) so I was hoping the suede would help with the stabilization a bit.
  17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF, kurisutina!

I LOVE the supdance suede heel protectors. They last 10x longer and are quieter. I highly recommend them.
  18. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

the suede is great- it helps to prevent the heel protector itself from wearing down. Also it makes the heel protector more soft, rather than hard plastic sticking to the floor.
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have used the suede heel protectors and liked them better than the plastic also...
  20. kurisutina

kurisutina New Member

Wow, thanks so much everyone for the quick replies! They only cost a tiny bit more than the plastic ones anyway, so I'm buying them.