regarding heel protectors

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_moogle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

This bump reminded me - anyone know a good place to buy heel caps online?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

showtime dance shoes

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

or better yet, you could check with our sponsor at the top of the page :)....Take The Lead

hereKittyKitty and j_alexandra like this.
  4. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Derp... should have thought of that. I'm even FB friends with Brian! :D

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

She doesn't like destroying the heel tips? I have suede-covered heel protectors on my Latin shoes because I'd be replacing the tips constantly otherwise. They only give you one spare set with the brand I buy. I don't even dance all that hard or that many hours/week. Any pro who wears them out like I do would be constantly going through them.

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Some latin dancers I know also prefer the texture of the heel protector, which usually is a softer, slightly tackier plastic. The heel tips on the shoes sometimes are made of hard plastic, which can slide around a bit.

For what it's worth, I used to wear heel protectors, then switched to glueing suede on the heel tip itself, but then stopped altogether when I realized by the time I changed shoes the original heel tip was still in fairly good shape.

7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I used to dance in Dance Naturals for latin and the model i was in has a rubbery tip heel. Now that i've switched to Ray Rose Kalaharis (they fit great) but their heel tip is that awful plastic that skates around. I hate the look of heel protectors in Latin but I even MORE hate that skating feeling. I always wonder if maybe if my technique was better, i wouldn't have that feeling.... ? At least for right now i just put the heel covers on. For me i never seem to wear out the heel tip in Latin (before i destroy the shoe at least....or my dog gets to it first) but it's more that i like the stickier feeling it gives the heel.

I've had a shoe maker change the tip to something more rubbery before on a different random pair of shoes so i might go that route for latin. In standard, i wear through heel protectors fairly quickly :-/

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Miss Silly, I know one lady who has a cobbler change the plastic heel tips to rubber heel tips on her latins. She likes the grip better (and lack of sound) with the softer rubber. The glueing the suede on the bottoms also works but it's hard to get them to stay on over long periods of time. If my shoes would last longer than 6-8 weeks, I would go ahead and pay to have the rubber tips put on. But since they don't, it's not worth the extra expenditure.

I do not slip around on my original heel tips on my RR shoes. I don't like the sound as they hit the floor at times (and yes, I should be controlling that a bit better), but I don't slip.

Miss Silly likes this.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I started adding heel tips to my shoes in the last few months. I have no good reason why... but I feel I dance better with them on.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I can make my shoes last a long time, and I don't have a problem with SLIPPING on the tips, I just find the plastic ones Supadance uses just wear through to the nail practically overnight. I don't even dance that hard and it's a pain.

11. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

My main reason to glue suede on the heels are heel turns. I don't wear my heels very much without heel turns, I believe.

12. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

I am now the importer for a full line of heel protectors called GALA out of Poland (we currently have 22 styles and sizes with more in production) as well as offering them in colors as well. I am mentioning this not as an advertisement (well, maybe a little promo) but because the popularity is growing. I have a studio I work closely with whose instructors are constantly bringing students in (sometimes during a lesson) to get them installed. One of the reasons is they find students sliding on the heel. These new protectors provide a bit more grip but not so much to cause problem. The amount of height or surface added by wearing them is minimal and it will keep the heel lift (or tip) from wearing fast.
    The reason for the colors is obvious. Put a black heel protector on a black shoe and it will not show. Put a yellow or tan tip on a flesh color shoe and it shows less.
    I hope this helps. Anyone who wishes to see them can look for my website and see the samples. They are not all online yet but odds are we have one.

13. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

that is why I contracted this new line. The supadance (and freed, and international) sometimes wear in one or two lessons. Our GALA do not. Send me your shoe style and I will send you a couple samples, Jen :)

14. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Has anyone heard of where to buy good heel caps in bulk, or is this the best price anyone has seen?

15. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

Supadance heels have become so EASY to wear down- I agree. International's seem to dry out and crack all over the place. Not familiar with Freed. I glue suede on all of my stuff now, caps or not, so they don't wear as quickly and I have a little more 'something' there.

16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....I've only ever tried Supadance heel protectors, and one other, no-name thing I bought at a comp once, 'cause I really needed them. (those were horrible, by the way....so soft that they stuck to the floor) Even though, when we concentrate on waltz and slow fox, the Supadance seem to wear out rather quickly, I like them. They carry a size small enough to fit my heel (curved/contoured with a small tip), and don't look bulky or really obvious. They fit so tightly that I have to use pliers to get them off when they need to be replaced. AND, they come with, or without, suede on the bottom. Love that.

17. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

I find that the supdance heel caps with suede wear down a lot less quickly than the regular plastic ones. Granted, they are also more expensive.

FancyFeet likes this.
  18. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

If you buy retail, yes, the suede heel caps are more expensive. But, the shoe vendor at my last comp had them for the same price as the non-suede version. Score! :)

TinyDancer109 likes this.
  19. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned, the fact that the ones with suede last more than twice as long as the regular Supadance covers makes them 100% worth the extra $1 or so a pair. I had my last set on my standard shoes for more than 2 months, dancing on them 10+ hours a week.

TinyDancer109 likes this.
  20. Max Hunter

Max Hunter New Member

i know that my partners are required to wear heel guards and they really don't hurt any style of dance in fact they often help newer dancers to do things right especially heel spins.