regarding heel protectors

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_moogle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

What is a heel spin?
    stash and dancelvr like this.
  2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I'd just said this to myself out loud when I read your post. I'm curious too.
  3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Probably meant a heel turn?
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

probably... but I assume nothing anymore...
    ajiboyet, stash and smidra86 like this.
  5. Max Hunter

Max Hunter New Member

sorry must not be a prolific problem but a lot of girls, in my experience, when they first start dancing and are required to turn or spin especially in a stationary free spin do so on their heel not the ball of their foot and the slight (normally) grippiness of the heel guard prevents this. not a heel turn which an actual step in the standard dance and looks quite nice.
  6. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

:eek: huh. I can't imagine spinning and not lifting my heel, even when I first started out. Hustle was one of the first dances I learned. Lots of turning!
  7. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yeah.....since day one, my spins have always been on my toes. I can't imagine try to do them on my heels.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Sounds like it would be even harder to me
  9. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Spinning on my heels happened to me when I was still getting used to my practice shoes. Definitely not good for the feet. I found that it had to do with having a shorter, wider heel than I was used to. Luckily, I nipped it in the bud because I knew it was a bad habit.
  10. architeuthis

architeuthis New Member

does anyone happen to know where to find slim-flared heel covers for Freed of London? The only place I could find them was danceshopper, and they've been discontinued. I can only find the slim or the flared elsewhere, but not their separate slim-flared style
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

check showtime
  12. architeuthis

architeuthis New Member

nope, they only have Supadance :(
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

14. CCdance

CCdance Active Member

yeah, can't imagine doing that on heels, especially I nowadays practice in heels with protector, dont know how that plastic thingy will let go of the grip, but wow what a challenge for us!
  15. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

I have been going through plastic heel protectors on my standard shoes about every two weeks, and it is causing issues because the way they wear (down to the nub on the outside, little on the inside) affects the way I dance and is causing issues/injury with one of my ankles (from the tilt).

Has anyone put suede on plastic heel protectors? Does this keep them from wearing down so quickly and unevenly? I wear an unusual brand of shoes, so don't expect to find heel protectors with suede on them already, but am wondering if it is worth putting them on myself? I also find the plastic covers very slippery sometimes.

Anyone have experience with this?
  16. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I used to put suede directly on the bottom of the heel of my latin shoe. It worked quite well.

I also used heel protectors that came with suede attached. Those also worked quite well.
    Sania likes this.
  17. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Yes and yes. Without added suede, I don't find a use for heel protectors in standard -- they wear unevenly and mess with balance after one practice. Added suede fixes it for me. Typically, for practice, I'll add suede both directly to the heels and to plastic heel protectors. That way, I have options just in case the suede comes unglued from one or the other in the middle of a practice/dance/lesson. On my comp shoes, I just put suede directly on the heel, since that looks better.
    Sania and TakeTwo like this.
  18. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Active Member

thanks--I am going to try that when I switch out my heel protectors next week :)