Replacement Heel Tips for Stephanie Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceAngel, Jul 7, 2009.

1. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Hi,

I have the Stephanie Professional Dance Shoes 95004-75 and have managed to wear the heel tip down in one use. I haven't worn them down to the point they are unusable but they will need to be replaced soon. My googling skills aren't the greatest and was unable to find replacement tips for them or even a suitable substitute. I was wondering if any of you could help me out on finding heel tips for these shoes.

Thanks
  2. TAK

TAK Member

Go to the cobbler and ask them to glue some suede onto the bottoms of the heels. Or, if you have some suede and some superglue, do it yourself.

Those plastic heel tips wear out really fast. I believe there have been several threads on this.
  3. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I should have done the suede thing before i ever danced in them but my latin sandal heel tips have lasted much longer. They are made of this strange plastic that take a lot to wear down. I would put suede on them now but I think they are past the point of it helping.
  4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Go to a shoe repair place and get them to replace the heel tips. It's not too expensive and then you can ask them to glue suede on, get heel protectors, or do suede stars or any of the other heel protection ideas we've discussed here before. But if you're going to be good to the new heel tips, generally it's easier to just go to a shoe repair place and let them create the replacement heel than to find just the right kind of heel to do the replacement yourself.
  5. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I hadn't thought of the shoe repair place being able to match a heel tip. I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
  6. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I don't think they "match" it so much as they go for a stock one that's sort of close and shave it down so it fits.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

champion dance shoes in Los Angeles carries heel tips for the Stephanie line. You can call-in, they'll ask you some questions about your shoes. there is a web site available but it's better to call. Cheers.
  8. TAK

TAK Member

No, you don't have to put the suede on the heel tips; you can put it directly on the heels (remove the plastic tips first) and it does the job just as well.
  9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

But heel tips generally add about 1/4" of height, plus some shock absorption properties in the plastic. Not a big deal, perhaps, but something to consider.
  10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Just a clarification guys....I believe heel tips are the piece of plastic that is already attached to the heel when you receive a pair of new shoes. Heel protectors are plastic covers that go over the heel tip and heel.
  11. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Yep your correct. I want to replace the plastic tip that came on the shoe. I hate the look of the plastic covers that you can buy to protect them and "fondly" refer to them as heel condoms. I did call Champion Dance Shoes and he had to go look to see if he had any tips in stock so I'm still waiting for a return call.
  12. latingal

I have heard that shoe repair shops will replace the heel tip (friend gets it done regularly since she doesn't like heel protectors either).

I would assume that it would be best to do it at a shop that has worked with ballroom shoes before. And even if the shop hasn't, I'm sure a good one could figure out how to do it and what type of material to use.
  13. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

A shoe repair place is my next stop if I don't get a call back. I got the name of a place from someone here that dances. Thanks to all that gave advice!
  14. TAK

TAK Member

Gotcha. Never mind my posts then!
  15. barrefly

barrefly New Member

The shoes my daughter uses has the cheapest heels and wears out in no time. Once the shoe repairmen replaces them..(around $10/pair)...they last forever. They are like a hard neopreme and they snip off a piece from their stock, glue it to the heel base, cut/remove excess, nail it, then sand/buff it.. Tell them to countersink the nail(s) so they don't scratch floors.
    Added: Yes, they use a nail or 2 in heels. Though my father was a shoe repairman and I spent many of summers replacing heels...I don't know how secure a heel would be without them.
  16. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Thanks for the advice. I got a return call today from Champion Dance Shoes and they are out of stock on the heel tips I need. I'll talk with the repairman before I have them do anything to the shoes.

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
  17. latingal

p.s. DanceAngel, might recommend what another poster mentioned, gluing suede on the bottom of your heel tips rids you of the problem of replacing heel tips due to wear!
  18. lindas3

lindas3 New Member

Ah oh, are the plastic covers a bad thing? Wear my heals out in about two used so bought them on my new pair of shoes and was going to use them in my first comp. The shoe sale lady already put them on and said I should cut them off, not pull them off.
  19. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Plastic covers are bad if they don't fit very snugly. Wiggly unstable heels = not good.
  20. latingal

Depends who you talk to. Some people do not care for the look of heel protectors. I definitely do heel protectors or I suede the heel tips for the shoes I wear in practice. For my comp shoes, I always glue on pieces of suede on the heel tips to keep the look of the shoe "clean" and un-offensive to all hopefully. Of course, I can't vouch for the smell. *grin*