Resoling Shoes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Purr, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Sure... it won't change the basic stability of the shoes, but should change the floor friction. I've even seen people do this to sneakers.

2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

OK, I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about resoling leather-soled shoes...anyone here tried it?

I've got a super-comfy pair of AT heels which I use for absolutely everything. I hate to think of wearing out the soles before the uppers, and before I can get back to Bs.As. to get a new pair.

Can this work? Is there something special that has to be done to make it dance-able?

3. ssjss

ssjss New Member

yes it can be done but I would have a cobbler do it for you. Around here it cost about 35 dollars for a pair of shoes and takes about a week to get'em back.

4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Resurrected - gluing suede to sneakers?

I'm intrigued.

These folks glue suede to the rubber soles of sneakers / tennis shoes / whatever?

How about suede on the rubber heel of a man's dress shoe? (Soles are smooth leather.)

Thanks!

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You can do that to basically any shoe. No street shoe thus treated is going to feel like a dance shoe, though.

6. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

you can purchase large swatches of suede from Tandy Store (they're in Texas). I bought one about 2 ft x 2 ft and cut them out to fit the sole and heels of the shoe. Use Arlene's glue. Just make sure the edges are glued down well. Takes about 20 minutes each shoe. Feels great when I use them on the floor.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I must have lost my vision last night - I saw the title of this thread as 'resoiling shoes'. Now why would one want to do that?

8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

You work with a lot of formaldehyde? Just curious.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have also bought the Tandy suede and found it online both at the Tandy site and other craft sites (it was cheaper at the other craft sites). I use Barge Cement for the adhesive. I bought it at a shoe repair place, but it also available online (I've seen it recommended by a site detailing how to attach suede to the bottom of shoes). With Barge Cement, make sure you pay attention to the drying time (around 10-15 minutes) required before sticking the suede and shoe together!!

10. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

I have used cowhide splits and suede from Hobby lobby. Cowhide splits are much less costly, but wears out faster than suede. I used Barge cement. I purchased a can online and it is much less costly, than the small bottles in hobby/craft stores.

An Ebay seller, theleatherguy sells all kinds of leather items on Ebay, he was very helpful in pointing out what he had, that would work for dance shoes.