Results and Placements

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by debmc, Dec 12, 2012.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Conventional wisdom is not to get attached to results and placements, yet I see all of us at times get dissapointed when we don't get the official placements we were hoping for. I thought it might be interesting to hear how dancers detach from the outcome of a competition... or if they are even able to do so...
    How do you feel about results/placements?
  2. Janson

Janson Active Member

I posted this elsewhere, but fits perfectly here. 'Good results don't make you a good dancer, dancing well makes you a good dancer'. I would certainly like to do well, but even when I do worse than I would have liked I just appreciate all the things around it.
    - Did you enjoy the day? Hopefully you enjoy the dancing and competing, regardless of results.
    - Did you actually do as bad as it looks? At larger competitions, even getting through one round can put you around the top 50% mark.
    - What can you take away? Hopefully you or your partner/pro has ideas on how to improve, this makes it exciting to look forward to the next competition. If one dance let you down, you know you can work on that. Did you fluff your steps? You can work on that. Did you tire? Was your stamina not up to scratch? You can work on it.

And remember, you've likely got many more decades of dancing to be able to do!
    Gorme, Bailamosdance and debmc like this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

If my partner and I are happy with our dancing.. thats it!!

the judges could be on crack soo.....;)
  4. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I agree. I am now setting goals for each competition that are not related to placements, but are related more to what I hope to do in dance....whatever it is that I might be working on at the time. To have longevity in this field, as a good friend told me, you have to have other markings of success outside of how you place.
  5. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

You can be disappointed with your marks without letting it ruin your day, or letting it define your dancing. It's ok to be a little disappointed. Just understand that marks aren't always a perfect representation of your dancing - and even when they are, that's not all there is to dancing.
  6. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

If I prevented my partner from catching a ronde-kick-swivel-attack, gave 100% every time I was on the floor, and have her smiling at the end of the day, it's been another successful day. :) We talk each other through things to focus on as we're warming up for a round, and then go over what did/didn't go well after we come off. So we usually have a good idea how we're doing in terms of our own performance - we generally know if we haven't done enough to make the next round. We don't really pay any attention to the other couples dancing unless they're our friends or doing something we appreciate/enjoy, in which case we support them. I guess that keeps us pretty detached from/prepared for the end result.

Like you said, it's good to set specific goals for each comp. That way you can track your own development and progress. And if the judges smile upon you that day, then so much the better, and if not, just think how much of a hassle it is finding space for all of your medals/silverware ;)
    latingal likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

read Dancing to your Maximum it goes into this in helpful detail
  8. Mr 4 styles

lol for sure my wife hates to collect anything anyway!!!
  9. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I work too hard not to be disappointed...but, my capacity to react privately rather than publically has improved and the amount of time it takes me to bounce back is usually less unless there is alot of it in a concentrated period...there are alot of variables...it also depends upon how it is going with those around me and uponwhat else is going on in life...
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I have... I love that book....
  11. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think it's important to have realistic expectations. If you don't expect to get from the first round all the way to the final, then you won't be disappointed that you didn't.
  12. fascination

I prefer to be disappointed than aim low...and I don't take disappointment lightly... I also have to accept the consequences when it happens but I do think that in setting very high goals, I usually fare better than I would have if I aimed low...shrug...disappointment happens..it isn't terminal...just acutely uncomfortable for a certain period of time
    SwayWithMe and danceronice like this.
  13. fascination

as to other goals...I do think one of the good things about having made it to a certain level of proficiency is that I can see how I look compared to others now...I do also have some idea of where I am going to fall in the placements...I know when odds are and are not in my favor...and I know perfectly well when I have danced my best and when I have not...and when I have danced my best I am always okay with how it went because I know then that there was not a thing I could have done to change the result ...I do always have an intention about what I hope to be doing when I am on the floor and I do evaluate whether or not that happened...
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

There's always the issue of how you think you did, and how your results came out. There's four possibilities:

1. You think you did well, and your results reflect it. Par-tay!
    2. You think you did well, but your results do not reflect it. Stuff happens sometimes, it's a subjectively judged sport, and results are not always consistent. But if it becomes a pattern, you'd better re-evaluate your dancing.
    3. You think you did poorly, and the results reflect it. Well, at least you had fun, got to chat with people, maybe met some new friends, and hopefully the buffet was decent. Work with your instructor and your partner, figure out where you need to improve, and better luck next time.
    4. You think you did poorly, but your results are good. This is a tough one. Maybe you just got lucky this week. But has this become a pattern? Maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit. Maybe you're spending too much time worrying about stuff that doesn't matter. Or maybe you need to look for tougher competition so you can get a better read on how well you are actually dancing.
    Janson, debmc, Gorme and 1 other person like this.
  15. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

This is a great summary! My last comp had a combination of all four amongst all the events I danced. There are always so many mitigating factors -- are you giving every round your A game or are you getting tired as the day goes on? Who is the judging panel and are you doing things that they'll like or not like? How tough is the field you're up against? So many factors.
  16. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think it's debatable. If you aim very high, beyond what's reasonable, does it really help? For a personal example, I just did OSB. My realistic goal there was making the next cut. It was my 2nd time dancing smooth at the new level. I was dancing against much more experienced ladies and in the largest smooth event I ever danced in. It was completely unreasonable to hope to make a final under the circumstances, heck, it was unrealistic to make the next cut (24 out of 40-something) under the circumstances, but one needs some kind of goal. I had somewhat better chances with standard, since I've been dancing that level longer, but still I am nowhere near where I have to be to make the finals in it, but I was very close to making the next cut last year and was hoping to make it this year. I haven't accomplished it this time. Would I have fared better if I aimed for the final as opposed to just getting out of the first round? I simply don't know.
  17. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Well sure, regardless of just how much one intends to strech with one's goals, I think one has to keep the context in mind. For example, I like to go into comps with three goals:

- A minimum goal. This is typically a goal I feel pretty good about my ability to meet. To be honest, I tend to take my marks more seriously than I've been expressedly told that I should, so this one is sort of a safety net to manage my potential disappointment.
    - A regular goal. This is one I feel like I could realistically make, but would still be a genuine accomplishment to achieve.
    - A stretch goal. I walk away from the comp on Cloud 9 if I meet this one.

Now, for example, I'm going to be dancing silver for the first time ever at Starz next month. (Well, not counting the "I'll dance my bronze routines in silver because, why not?" in the USA Dance comps I've done.) As such, my goals are going to be:

- Receive at least one non-last place mark in my scholarship
    - Beat someone in my scholarship
    - Finish 3rd in my scholarship (I can state fairly unequivocably that I'm not finishing any higher than that based on who I know will be there)

On the other hand, if I were still dancing bronze, it'd look more like make the finals/make the top three/win. Context is important. While I disagree with some of the people I've known in that I think that disappointment can be a good thing (if you channel it into improvement), there's a certain point where one would just be setting themselves up for failure. And that strikes me as less of a good thing.
    debmc, Gorme and frotes like this.
  18. fascination

I think there is a big difference between aiming high relative to one's capacity and aiming for the moon without a rocket...KWIM?
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I work hard for my comps and in my dancing, I put in an ungodly amount of time in the studio and it's ridiculously expensive to boot. Given all that, I know there will be some disappointment if placements don't go my way. However, it is something I have come to expect and mentally prepare for. I remind myself that there are factors I cannot control in competitions, so the best thing I can do is concentrate on what I can control - my own dancing!!

And I always know, I learn far more and can be much more motivated to improve if I "lose" at a comp than win. The trick is to - as you said debmc - have other goals based on what you CAN control to track your progress, and then to know how to quickly move on from disappointment and back to the process of improving without letting your confidence take a hit.
    debmc likes this.
  20. fascination

agree...but I think having a support system also make s a huge difference in the capacity to sustain that frame of mind
    cornutt likes this.