Revamping a used dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by stash, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

They have some, but only black and white and very thin. I've never seen anything other than that. I checked out ebay and found some cheaper options which I sent to stash. I'll have to remember that for my next dress too. :)
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Very cool. :-D
  3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I have found great deals on trim and horsehair spools on EBay. It's worth it to at least check out.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The trouble is sorting the wheat from the chaff, and color/size selection being random.
  5. DancingInTheSand

DancingInTheSand New Member

If anyone needs a good dealer for the horsehair on ebay you can PM if you want. I have one I can highly recommend...I bought 44yds for the last dress I made in a pretty grey colour (comes in a good variety of colours).
  6. Naululani

Naululani Member

I buy crin at hatsupply.com. 3" - 36 yard roll for $33.00 USD per roll. They offer many sizes and colors.
  7. pygmalion

All right. I can't take it anymore. Can anybody tell/show me what this horsehair stuff is supposed to look like? I CANNOT visualize it, for the life of me.

How wide is it? How long is it? How the heck does it lengthen a dress? What do you do with the stuff?
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

9. pygmalion

Thanks Joe.
  10. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

You should use a professional seamstress to add the horsehair/crinoline trim to the bottom of the dress - This can be in a contrasting color such as gold or sapphire. One of the easiest stoning patterns is to "scatter" stones across the mesh on the top and then follow the lace pattern with 2 - 3 colors of stones - shades of red and gold - fire opal for example or shades in a contrasting color. Red and gold makes a beautiful combination - also purple and red. Please use a good non-toxic glue made for stones and ballroom dresses like DSI Dancesport International. E6000 is toxic and also gets "stringy"
  11. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

DSI also sells horsehair trim -so does Chrisanne - means waiting for it to come from England but, the quality is excellent
  12. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

IME shipping from UK is fairly quick.
  13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Yes Chrisanne and DSI fabric have excellent quality! I also really like red dress with gold horsehair trimming, would be smashing if use top quality fabric!
  14. mindputtee

When I've ordered from Chrisanne it has come in a week or so (excluding the whole mix up) but it seems silly to pay the high shipping cost for just some crinoline, especially when their crinoline is more expensive than some domestic options. If I were doing an order any time soon I'd just have stash add it in, but that isn't looking likely. $150 (give or take) is a lot for just adding some crinoline to a used dress though when you consider she already had to buy stones. I don't have any experience with other kinds of crinoline than chrisanne, is there much variation in quality?
  15. Standarddancer

I only used Chrisanne or DSI fabrics for my dress, I don't accept anything less quality for my own dress. I've never even bother to look into cheaper substitutions. hmmm $150 is quite a bit, but I would pay just for my dress to look as fabulous as possible. If I were making a practice dress, I might search for cheaper replacement, but for comp dress, best go for top quality.
  16. mindputtee

For the body fabric, yes, I wouldn't settle for cheaper alternatives. When you're just looking for crinoline trim, I feel like there must be room for cheaper alternatives.
  17. pygmalion

I feel like there are two different conversations going on in this thread (which is fine, btw.) Conversation #1 How to make a fixer-upper dress look as wonderful as possible without breaking the bank. Conversation #2 How to refurbish a fab gown and make it look even more fab.

Am I the only person seeing that? Does that even make sense?
  18. Standarddancer

Yes LOL, Pygmalion, you are very insightful;) these conversations make this thread very interesting;)
  19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

*UPDATE!*

So I have finally bought some gem glue and have begun stoning the dress :D So excited. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do to the skirt, but hopefully I'll figure it out while I work on the stone.

I'll post picture once I have a bit more progress on the stoning :D

Yay!
  20. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

:rocker: