Revamping a used dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by stash, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe :)

Should I do one at a time, or pin both of them together and sew them at the same time?
  2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I sew them both to the miniskirt right side to right side with a basting stitch, then serge them together. It's how the professional dresses I've looked at do it.
    Lioness likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Oh, I missed the part about the miniskirt (RFC). Yes, if attaching underskirts to a miniskirt hem, mindputtee's method is the right one. I thought the underskirt being attached to was full length.
  4. Lioness

Cool. I'll have a play around with some scraps first.

And ballpoint or normal needle? I don't have an overlocker so I'll baste and then zig zag.

I'm thinking normal needle...for some reason it doesn't seem like ballpoints will work very well with fine fabric.
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

No clue about the needle. Whichever one works best with the scraps of fabric you're using.
  6. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I'd try a regular point needle, but a fine one.
    Lioness likes this.
  7. mindputtee

I use a regular point needle and have never had a problem with it.
    Lioness likes this.
  8. Lioness

Alrighty! I'm going to try to get it finished today, then move on to making a latin dress from scratch.

Super excited! I'll post the results.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  9. Lioness

Cool! So I made a few mistakes, but I now have a functional skirt :D

1: Lycra skirt is not stretchy enough to stretch enough to make the gathers...because I made it out of some scrap cotton lycra I had lying around, not the good stuff.
    [​IMG]

2: Forgot to turn the chiffon the right way out before I sewed it. WHOOPS.

[​IMG]

3: My hem's a bit uneven...just a bit

[​IMG]

BUT overall I can hem it some more and it doesn't look too bulky! Adding horsehair to the chiffon layer and just some blue bias tape to the organza.

[​IMG]
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

FWIW, leave the skirt to drape for a few days before you trim it. The bias (esp the chiffon) causes it to "settle", which is why your hem is just a bit uneven. :)
  11. Lioness

Yup. It's been sitting there a couple of days already (totally not because I'm lazy...)

Seriously considering getting an overlocker at this point, so if I do I may just leave the hemming until then. Make it lots easier.

It's also uneven because I freaked out about the size of the chiffon underskirt and recklessly cut bits out before deciding that was a bad idea and sewing them all back together again :-/
  12. mindputtee

You can also speed up the process by attaching clothespins to the bottom if you're impatient like me. :) I usually attach them and let it sit 24 hours and it's about settled out.

I hiiighly recommend an overlocker. If you plan to do much more sewing, it really makes your finished product look much more professional and makes inserting elastic much easier.

ETA: I was looking at your blog and thought of two things. 1. Your organza underskirt skirt will also need to settle and even out if you haven't done that yet, and 2. You say you paid $80 for a gross of Rose AB, did you mean 10 gross (a pack)? Otherwise you're really being overcharged!
    Lioness likes this.
  13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Ahhhhh. Such interesting tidbits. It didn't occur to me that the skirt needs to hang for a bit to settle, but it makes perfect sense.
  14. Lioness

@Mindputtee...I definitely meant 10 gross! Whoops!

The overlocker I've found is the Janome 8002DX. It's only $285, and seems to be a good beginner machine. My budget doesn't really stretch beyond $300, so it looks like the best I'll get.

The organza is hanging up with the chiffon. I'm thinking of maybe putting fishing line in the chiffon hem instead of horsehair, but I'll see how the horsehair turns out first.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Is there a Craigslist in Oz?
  16. Lioness

Sort of...there's a more commonly used equivalent. I'm reluctant to buy one secondhand though because it might not work properly.
  17. cabbagefairy

cabbagefairy New Member

Maybe check out sewing stores in your area - they sometimes sell second hand machines that they have serviced. I'd advise against buying one from gumtree etc as I did that and had a real lemon.
    One thing to keep in mind when picking an overlocker is how does it change from overlocking to rolled hem - some machines you have to change the metal plate under the presser foot which can be a pain! On mine I just flick a few settings and it's done.
    Lioness likes this.
  18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Lioness, can you perhaps borrow a serger?
  19. Lioness

Joe...I must've missed your reply. I have a couple of friends of friends who have a serger, I'll ask them :)

New dilemma. I didn't get the underskirts done in time, but I'm wondering whether I should add lace? I like it on the front, but not so sure about the back.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I like it in the front. Maybe try positioning it lower on the back, closer to the "V"?
    Miss Silly likes this.